Re: Utah

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009

      > In the thread about the default number of lines in the Keep Together dialog,
      > someone pointed out a practical limitation of the design, to which I replied:
      >
      > > It's worth recalling that the program was written in Utah.
      >
      > To which a member of the original programming team replied via email:
      >
      > > Hey!

      John,

      Perhaps that reply meant something like: "What does the fact that it was written in any particular place have to do with any aspect of the design?" (I asked myself exactly that question when I read the original message...!)
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009

        > Perhaps that reply meant something like: "What does the fact that it was
        > written in any particular place have to do with any aspect of the design?"
        > (I asked myself exactly that question when I read the original message...!)

        This was just an installment in some banter that's been going on since WP 3.5
        beta. Someone at WP went on a trip and set his email to auto-response,
        including emails from the beta test list, so everyone got an auto response to
        each msg posted to the list. Comments ensued. I gathered up a few and
        responded to each:

        >If you have a Macintosh issue that needs
        >immediate attention please contact Heather
        >at extension 7392. -Ken

        Well, I have a list issue that could use attention.

        > I will be checking my e-mail periodically. -Ken

        Actually, I'll bet you only check it once.

        >Let this be a lesson to y'all: When you set up an
        >automatic response for your e-mail, don't send the
        >response to lists that also send an automatic response -Chris

        That's nothing. You should see the code he writes.

        >when he gets back we'll be looking for the highest tree. -Marsha

        Marsha's tough! But maybe sly too - I didn't know there were trees in Utah.

        >I, and all of the Corel WordPerfect for Macintosh team,
        >wish to thank you for all of your comments. -Ed

        Actually, _all_ of you don't want to thank _all_ of us for _all_ our comments.

        >Gee, I go visit my folks for a couple hours, and everything
        >falls apart! -Listmom

        Let a WordPerfect manager out of your _sight_ and you bet something
        will happen.

        >I've set Ken to inactive, so he won't be bothering us
        >anymore. -Listmom

        Really? Gee, we all make mistakes. I'll miss him.

        >We couldn't have done it with you [sic]. -Marsha

        Glad to hear you say that. We had fun too.

        >12,500 Graphic Images (previous version shipped with
        >5,400 graphics) - Ed

        Will the shipping version be able to open them? [Beta versions
        could not open them.]

        >Also, an Outlining Button Bar has been added that links
        >to John Rethorst's awesome collapsible outlining macros. -Ed

        With the all-nighter I pulled the night before the deadline, it'll be
        awesome if I fixed more bugs than I added.

        In Ken's defense, he was probably up all night too. Everyone else was.
        But he'll be at Macworld Expo in Boston in case you want to discuss
        anything personally.

        :-)

        John R.
      • Kevin McCoy
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
          Ken was born in Oregon. Does that count for something? (And yes, he
          did put in frequent all-nighters.)

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2009
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

            > Ken was born in Oregon. Does that count for something?

            It would have to. Oregon's a great place, as much as us Washington-staters
            like to disparage it.

            When WP Orem closed, Ken went to Corel in Ottawa, didn't he? is he
            still there?

            > (And yes, he did put in frequent all-nighters.)

            Those are rarely good things.

            John R.
          • Kevin McCoy
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2009
              Not the Ken I'm thinking of. He is still here in, "Happy Valley."