Utah

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2009
      In the thread about the default number of lines in the Keep Together dialog,
      someone pointed out a practical limitation of the design, to which I replied:

      > It's worth recalling that the program was written in Utah.

      To which a member of the original programming team replied via email:

      > Hey!

      To which I replied:

      > Wasn't it? I heard rumors it was written in the Bahamas or offshore
      > somewhere, for reasons having to do with intellectual property or
      > something, but I never believed it.

      > I also heard it was written in Redmond, but I won't go there, even
      > though it's only 20 miles away.

      > I dunno, something about the coffee and rain up here, but MS Word is
      > looking better all the time.

      > No doubt if I moved to Phoenix, I'd wave the [WordPerfect] flag more
      > than I do now.

      All comments and suggestions welcome.

      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009

        > In the thread about the default number of lines in the Keep Together dialog,
        > someone pointed out a practical limitation of the design, to which I replied:
        >
        > > It's worth recalling that the program was written in Utah.
        >
        > To which a member of the original programming team replied via email:
        >
        > > Hey!

        John,

        Perhaps that reply meant something like: "What does the fact that it was written in any particular place have to do with any aspect of the design?" (I asked myself exactly that question when I read the original message...!)
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009

          > Perhaps that reply meant something like: "What does the fact that it was
          > written in any particular place have to do with any aspect of the design?"
          > (I asked myself exactly that question when I read the original message...!)

          This was just an installment in some banter that's been going on since WP 3.5
          beta. Someone at WP went on a trip and set his email to auto-response,
          including emails from the beta test list, so everyone got an auto response to
          each msg posted to the list. Comments ensued. I gathered up a few and
          responded to each:

          >If you have a Macintosh issue that needs
          >immediate attention please contact Heather
          >at extension 7392. -Ken

          Well, I have a list issue that could use attention.

          > I will be checking my e-mail periodically. -Ken

          Actually, I'll bet you only check it once.

          >Let this be a lesson to y'all: When you set up an
          >automatic response for your e-mail, don't send the
          >response to lists that also send an automatic response -Chris

          That's nothing. You should see the code he writes.

          >when he gets back we'll be looking for the highest tree. -Marsha

          Marsha's tough! But maybe sly too - I didn't know there were trees in Utah.

          >I, and all of the Corel WordPerfect for Macintosh team,
          >wish to thank you for all of your comments. -Ed

          Actually, _all_ of you don't want to thank _all_ of us for _all_ our comments.

          >Gee, I go visit my folks for a couple hours, and everything
          >falls apart! -Listmom

          Let a WordPerfect manager out of your _sight_ and you bet something
          will happen.

          >I've set Ken to inactive, so he won't be bothering us
          >anymore. -Listmom

          Really? Gee, we all make mistakes. I'll miss him.

          >We couldn't have done it with you [sic]. -Marsha

          Glad to hear you say that. We had fun too.

          >12,500 Graphic Images (previous version shipped with
          >5,400 graphics) - Ed

          Will the shipping version be able to open them? [Beta versions
          could not open them.]

          >Also, an Outlining Button Bar has been added that links
          >to John Rethorst's awesome collapsible outlining macros. -Ed

          With the all-nighter I pulled the night before the deadline, it'll be
          awesome if I fixed more bugs than I added.

          In Ken's defense, he was probably up all night too. Everyone else was.
          But he'll be at Macworld Expo in Boston in case you want to discuss
          anything personally.

          :-)

          John R.
        • Kevin McCoy
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
            Ken was born in Oregon. Does that count for something? (And yes, he
            did put in frequent all-nighters.)

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2009
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

              > Ken was born in Oregon. Does that count for something?

              It would have to. Oregon's a great place, as much as us Washington-staters
              like to disparage it.

              When WP Orem closed, Ken went to Corel in Ottawa, didn't he? is he
              still there?

              > (And yes, he did put in frequent all-nighters.)

              Those are rarely good things.

              John R.
            • Kevin McCoy
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 8, 2009
                Not the Ken I'm thinking of. He is still here in, "Happy Valley."