Re: [wpmac] Email problems

  • newtownw@iol.ie
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
      Happened to me too, four emails I sent to the group a long time ago were
      not delivered to kingsleep at somewhere today... Could the problem be at Google?

      Yours

      Hugh Dobbs (hnd101)
      http://www.iol.ie
    • Michael Stassen
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
        John Rethorst wrote:

        > I got 32 emails this evening from a member, apparently automated and
        > so probably attempts to harvest emails from the archives. A friend on
        > the group also got similar emails from this member. This member has
        > been removed.
        >
        > The archives do not reveal email addresses, so I don't know how this
        > happened, but I apologize to any member who was inconvenienced.
        >
        > If we want, we can make the archives available only to members who
        > have signed in, just as files and links are now only available to those
        > who have signed in. Would anyone prefer that message archives also
        > have limited access?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > John R.

        Respectfully, I don't see the point. Since e-mail addresses aren't in the
        archives, how will restricting access secure e-mail addresses? As the person in
        question was a member, this restriction wouldn't have prevented this incident
        anyway. Isn't it more likely that he/she harvested the addresses from the
        messages he/she received by e-mail as a member? If that's the case, the steps
        you already take to protect the list, including the removal of bad actors, seem
        the appropriate course. Am I missing something?

        Michael
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, newtownw@... wrote:

          > Happened to me too, four emails I sent to the group a long time ago were
          > not delivered to kingsleep at somewhere today...

          One more: a dozen of my messages (all from a long time ago in a galaxy far away) weren't delivered to kingsleep at somewhere.
        • Bert Knabe
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
            I didn¹t receive any messages, but in the past I¹ve had messages of mine
            mystically appear in yahoogroups from as long as 3 years before. The
            messages arrived when they were originally sent, they just were resent
            somehow years later. But I¹ve never had more than one at time, and they
            always went to the whole group, not just a few members.

            Bert
          • newtownw@iol.ie
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 9, 2009
              If you want an explanation, I reckon this is what happened:

              The inbox at wpmac... got compromised/hijacked

              Its contents got sent to kingsleep...

              kingsleep's inbox overflowed or for other reasons gmail suspected something
              was very
              wrong

              kingsleep got terminated with extreme prejudice

              The remainder of our messages continued to be sent to kingsleep

              They were returned to the senders (us) as undeliverable because they were
              sent as if from
              us (the individuals, not the group

              Incidentally, I think I suggested a problem at Google. If so, I should of
              course have said
              Yahoo instead.

              Bye

              Hugh Dobbs