Re: [wpmac] Email problems

  • Daryl Chinn
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4 8:31 AM
      I've also received about five of these also from a gmail account from messages sent in March 2008.

      However, unless we hear from a lot of people who are having this problem, I don't favor restricting access.  Even though I'm still "back there in 10.4-land", and even though I don't go there a lot, I still like that the archive is open.

      Daryl

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4 11:43 AM
        Happened to me too, four emails I sent to the group a long time ago were
        not delivered to kingsleep at somewhere today... Could the problem be at Google?

        Yours

        Hugh Dobbs (hnd101)
        http://www.iol.ie
      • Michael Stassen
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4 12:14 PM
          John Rethorst wrote:

          > I got 32 emails this evening from a member, apparently automated and
          > so probably attempts to harvest emails from the archives. A friend on
          > the group also got similar emails from this member. This member has
          > been removed.
          >
          > The archives do not reveal email addresses, so I don't know how this
          > happened, but I apologize to any member who was inconvenienced.
          >
          > If we want, we can make the archives available only to members who
          > have signed in, just as files and links are now only available to those
          > who have signed in. Would anyone prefer that message archives also
          > have limited access?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > John R.

          Respectfully, I don't see the point. Since e-mail addresses aren't in the
          archives, how will restricting access secure e-mail addresses? As the person in
          question was a member, this restriction wouldn't have prevented this incident
          anyway. Isn't it more likely that he/she harvested the addresses from the
          messages he/she received by e-mail as a member? If that's the case, the steps
          you already take to protect the list, including the removal of bad actors, seem
          the appropriate course. Am I missing something?

          Michael
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4 1:12 PM
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, newtownw@... wrote:

            > Happened to me too, four emails I sent to the group a long time ago were
            > not delivered to kingsleep at somewhere today...

            One more: a dozen of my messages (all from a long time ago in a galaxy far away) weren't delivered to kingsleep at somewhere.
          • Bert Knabe
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 6 8:50 AM
              I didn¹t receive any messages, but in the past I¹ve had messages of mine
              mystically appear in yahoogroups from as long as 3 years before. The
              messages arrived when they were originally sent, they just were resent
              somehow years later. But I¹ve never had more than one at time, and they
              always went to the whole group, not just a few members.

              Bert
            • newtownw@iol.ie
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 9 2:30 AM
                If you want an explanation, I reckon this is what happened:

                The inbox at wpmac... got compromised/hijacked

                Its contents got sent to kingsleep...

                kingsleep's inbox overflowed or for other reasons gmail suspected something
                was very
                wrong

                kingsleep got terminated with extreme prejudice

                The remainder of our messages continued to be sent to kingsleep

                They were returned to the senders (us) as undeliverable because they were
                sent as if from
                us (the individuals, not the group

                Incidentally, I think I suggested a problem at Google. If so, I should of
                course have said
                Yahoo instead.

                Bye

                Hugh Dobbs