Re: [wpmac] Email problems

  • Cydne
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
      I would prefer that.

      Cydne

      On Aug 4, 2009, at 3:11 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

      > If we want, we can make the archives available only to members who
      > have signed in, just as files and links are now only available to
      > those
      > who have signed in. Would anyone prefer that message archives also
      > have limited access?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > John R.
    • Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
        I got one myself this morning dated March 28, 2008 (My birthday)
        something about you might be interested to know That Novell is suing
        some other company.

        Geoff Gilbert wrote:

        > John
        >
        > Don't know if it was the same thing, but I received a whole load of
        > emails from my system administrator telling me that emails from 2008
        > were undeliverable to an unknown address (I have put asterisks where
        > the false address was in case the person is innocent):
      • Daryl Chinn
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
          I've also received about five of these also from a gmail account from messages sent in March 2008.

          However, unless we hear from a lot of people who are having this problem, I don't favor restricting access.  Even though I'm still "back there in 10.4-land", and even though I don't go there a lot, I still like that the archive is open.

          Daryl

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009

            > John
            >
            > Don't know if it was the same thing, but I received a whole load of
            > emails from my system administrator telling me that emails from 2008
            > were undeliverable to an unknown address (I have put asterisks where
            > the false address was in case the person is innocent):

            Yesterday I received a similar error from two messages I sent/posted in May of 2008, both to the same address, presumably from the mailing list.

            Ted Lee
            Minnetonka, MN
          • Bob Stern
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
              >John Rethorst wrote:
              >
              >If we want, we can make the archives available only to members who
              >have signed in, just as files and links are now only available to
              >those who have signed in. Would anyone prefer that message archives
              >also have limited access?

              Yes, I think that would be prudent.
              --

              Bob Stern
            • newtownw@iol.ie
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
                Happened to me too, four emails I sent to the group a long time ago were
                not delivered to kingsleep at somewhere today... Could the problem be at Google?

                Yours

                Hugh Dobbs (hnd101)
                http://www.iol.ie
              • Michael Stassen
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
                  John Rethorst wrote:

                  > I got 32 emails this evening from a member, apparently automated and
                  > so probably attempts to harvest emails from the archives. A friend on
                  > the group also got similar emails from this member. This member has
                  > been removed.
                  >
                  > The archives do not reveal email addresses, so I don't know how this
                  > happened, but I apologize to any member who was inconvenienced.
                  >
                  > If we want, we can make the archives available only to members who
                  > have signed in, just as files and links are now only available to those
                  > who have signed in. Would anyone prefer that message archives also
                  > have limited access?
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  > John R.

                  Respectfully, I don't see the point. Since e-mail addresses aren't in the
                  archives, how will restricting access secure e-mail addresses? As the person in
                  question was a member, this restriction wouldn't have prevented this incident
                  anyway. Isn't it more likely that he/she harvested the addresses from the
                  messages he/she received by e-mail as a member? If that's the case, the steps
                  you already take to protect the list, including the removal of bad actors, seem
                  the appropriate course. Am I missing something?

                  Michael
                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, newtownw@... wrote:

                    > Happened to me too, four emails I sent to the group a long time ago were
                    > not delivered to kingsleep at somewhere today...

                    One more: a dozen of my messages (all from a long time ago in a galaxy far away) weren't delivered to kingsleep at somewhere.
                  • Bert Knabe
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
                      I didn¹t receive any messages, but in the past I¹ve had messages of mine
                      mystically appear in yahoogroups from as long as 3 years before. The
                      messages arrived when they were originally sent, they just were resent
                      somehow years later. But I¹ve never had more than one at time, and they
                      always went to the whole group, not just a few members.

                      Bert
                    • newtownw@iol.ie
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 9, 2009
                        If you want an explanation, I reckon this is what happened:

                        The inbox at wpmac... got compromised/hijacked

                        Its contents got sent to kingsleep...

                        kingsleep's inbox overflowed or for other reasons gmail suspected something
                        was very
                        wrong

                        kingsleep got terminated with extreme prejudice

                        The remainder of our messages continued to be sent to kingsleep

                        They were returned to the senders (us) as undeliverable because they were
                        sent as if from
                        us (the individuals, not the group

                        Incidentally, I think I suggested a problem at Google. If so, I should of
                        course have said
                        Yahoo instead.

                        Bye

                        Hugh Dobbs