Email problems

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
      I got 32 emails this evening from a member, apparently automated and
      so probably attempts to harvest emails from the archives. A friend on
      the group also got similar emails from this member. This member has
      been removed.

      The archives do not reveal email addresses, so I don't know how this
      happened, but I apologize to any member who was inconvenienced.

      If we want, we can make the archives available only to members who
      have signed in, just as files and links are now only available to those
      who have signed in. Would anyone prefer that message archives also
      have limited access?

      Thank you,
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
        John

        Don't know if it was the same thing, but I received a whole load of
        emails from my system administrator telling me that emails from 2008
        were undeliverable to an unknown address (I have put asterisks where
        the false address was in case the person is innocent):
        "Your message

        The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message
        was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient
        directly to find out the correct address.
        < postoffice.(null) #5.1.1 SMTP;550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias:
        *******@...>"

        I'd make the archives members only.

        Geoff

        >I got 32 emails this evening from a member, apparently automated and
        >so probably attempts to harvest emails from the archives. A friend on
        >the group also got similar emails from this member. This member has
        >been removed.
        >
        >The archives do not reveal email addresses, so I don't know how this
        >happened, but I apologize to any member who was inconvenienced.
        >
        >If we want, we can make the archives available only to members who
        >have signed in, just as files and links are now only available to those
        >who have signed in. Would anyone prefer that message archives also
        >have limited access?
        >
        >Thank you,
        >John R.

      • Cydne
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
          I would prefer that.

          Cydne

          On Aug 4, 2009, at 3:11 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

          > If we want, we can make the archives available only to members who
          > have signed in, just as files and links are now only available to
          > those
          > who have signed in. Would anyone prefer that message archives also
          > have limited access?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > John R.
        • Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
            I got one myself this morning dated March 28, 2008 (My birthday)
            something about you might be interested to know That Novell is suing
            some other company.

            Geoff Gilbert wrote:

            > John
            >
            > Don't know if it was the same thing, but I received a whole load of
            > emails from my system administrator telling me that emails from 2008
            > were undeliverable to an unknown address (I have put asterisks where
            > the false address was in case the person is innocent):
          • Daryl Chinn
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
              I've also received about five of these also from a gmail account from messages sent in March 2008.

              However, unless we hear from a lot of people who are having this problem, I don't favor restricting access.  Even though I'm still "back there in 10.4-land", and even though I don't go there a lot, I still like that the archive is open.

              Daryl

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009

                > John
                >
                > Don't know if it was the same thing, but I received a whole load of
                > emails from my system administrator telling me that emails from 2008
                > were undeliverable to an unknown address (I have put asterisks where
                > the false address was in case the person is innocent):

                Yesterday I received a similar error from two messages I sent/posted in May of 2008, both to the same address, presumably from the mailing list.

                Ted Lee
                Minnetonka, MN
              • Bob Stern
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
                  >John Rethorst wrote:
                  >
                  >If we want, we can make the archives available only to members who
                  >have signed in, just as files and links are now only available to
                  >those who have signed in. Would anyone prefer that message archives
                  >also have limited access?

                  Yes, I think that would be prudent.
                  --

                  Bob Stern
                • newtownw@iol.ie
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
                    Happened to me too, four emails I sent to the group a long time ago were
                    not delivered to kingsleep at somewhere today... Could the problem be at Google?

                    Yours

                    Hugh Dobbs (hnd101)
                    http://www.iol.ie
                  • Michael Stassen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
                      John Rethorst wrote:

                      > I got 32 emails this evening from a member, apparently automated and
                      > so probably attempts to harvest emails from the archives. A friend on
                      > the group also got similar emails from this member. This member has
                      > been removed.
                      >
                      > The archives do not reveal email addresses, so I don't know how this
                      > happened, but I apologize to any member who was inconvenienced.
                      >
                      > If we want, we can make the archives available only to members who
                      > have signed in, just as files and links are now only available to those
                      > who have signed in. Would anyone prefer that message archives also
                      > have limited access?
                      >
                      > Thank you,
                      > John R.

                      Respectfully, I don't see the point. Since e-mail addresses aren't in the
                      archives, how will restricting access secure e-mail addresses? As the person in
                      question was a member, this restriction wouldn't have prevented this incident
                      anyway. Isn't it more likely that he/she harvested the addresses from the
                      messages he/she received by e-mail as a member? If that's the case, the steps
                      you already take to protect the list, including the removal of bad actors, seem
                      the appropriate course. Am I missing something?

                      Michael
                    • Edward Mendelson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, newtownw@... wrote:

                        > Happened to me too, four emails I sent to the group a long time ago were
                        > not delivered to kingsleep at somewhere today...

                        One more: a dozen of my messages (all from a long time ago in a galaxy far away) weren't delivered to kingsleep at somewhere.
                      • Bert Knabe
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
                          I didn¹t receive any messages, but in the past I¹ve had messages of mine
                          mystically appear in yahoogroups from as long as 3 years before. The
                          messages arrived when they were originally sent, they just were resent
                          somehow years later. But I¹ve never had more than one at time, and they
                          always went to the whole group, not just a few members.

                          Bert
                        • newtownw@iol.ie
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 9, 2009
                            If you want an explanation, I reckon this is what happened:

                            The inbox at wpmac... got compromised/hijacked

                            Its contents got sent to kingsleep...

                            kingsleep's inbox overflowed or for other reasons gmail suspected something
                            was very
                            wrong

                            kingsleep got terminated with extreme prejudice

                            The remainder of our messages continued to be sent to kingsleep

                            They were returned to the senders (us) as undeliverable because they were
                            sent as if from
                            us (the individuals, not the group

                            Incidentally, I think I suggested a problem at Google. If so, I should of
                            course have said
                            Yahoo instead.

                            Bye

                            Hugh Dobbs