Re: [wpmac] Keep Together....

  • J.J. McVeigh
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
      J.J. McVeigh wrote:

      >I wrote:
      >
      >[....]
      >I just tried inserting an N = 1 command at the *end* of the
      >introductory line of a paragraph, which was also the last line on the
      >page, and I got the same result. Inserting the command had no effect
      >on the arrangement of the text. Changing N to a value of 2 resulted
      >in the line being pulled down onto the next page, which is the
      >desired result.
      >
      > From my experience, it seems that, when N = 1, the command instructs
      >the program to keep the line within which the command is embedded
      >together with itself. That has no practical value.

      A little more experimenting...

      With Reveal Codes activated...

      1. If I insert an N=1 command, no new code appears, and no changes
      occur in the layout of the text.

      2. If I toggle N to 2, then a Conditional End of Page code appears,
      and I obtain the desired result, i.e., the leading line of the
      paragraph gets pulled down onto the next page.

      3. If I do not insert an N=1 command, but rather check the
      Widow/Orphan Control box, a [W/O] code appears, and I obtain the
      desired result, i.e., the leading line of the paragraph gets pulled
      down onto the next page.

      It still appears that inserting an N=1 command is a fruitless exercise.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

        > From my experience, it seems that, when N = 1, the command instructs
        > the program to keep the line within which the command is embedded
        > together with itself. That has no practical value.

        It's worth recalling that the program was written in Utah.

        ;-)

        John R.
      • Kevin McCoy
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
          Do you have ResEdit?
          <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/417>

          If you open the "English (USA)" file (or whatever language you are
          using, e.g., "English (CAN)"), open 'DITL' number 249, select item
          number 5 (under the 'DITL' menu) and then under the 'Resource' menu
          'Open as Dialog Item' you can change the '1' to any number you would
          like�

          -Kevin

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
            Thanks Kevin. It's worth reminding anyone about to use ResEdit to
            make a copy of the file you want to modify, and edit the copy.

            John R.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

            > Do you have ResEdit?
            > <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/417>
            >
            > If you open the "English (USA)" file (or whatever language you are
            > using, e.g., "English (CAN)"), open 'DITL' number 249, select item
            > number 5 (under the 'DITL' menu) and then under the 'Resource' menu
            > 'Open as Dialog Item' you can change the '1' to any number you would
            > like…
            >
            > -Kevin
          • Kevin McCoy
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2009
              An excellent point. I was going to mention it, but then I forgot
              before I hit "send."

              On Aug 4, 2009, at 12:14 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

              > Thanks Kevin. It's worth reminding anyone about to use ResEdit to
              > make a copy of the file you want to modify, and edit the copy.
              >
              > John R.
              >

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Do you have ResEdit?
              >> <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/417>
              >>
              >> If you open the "English (USA)" file (or whatever language you are
              >> using, e.g., "English (CAN)"), open 'DITL' number 249, select item
              >> number 5 (under the 'DITL' menu) and then under the 'Resource' menu
              >> 'Open as Dialog Item' you can change the '1' to any number you would
              >> like…
              >>
              >> -Kevin
            • Rick Albright
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2009
                Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, just to change a default of "1"
                when you're probably going to change the value each time you use it
                anyway. I've never used that option myself, though I do regularly use
                the widow and orphan control.

                Rick Albright