Re: [wpmac] Keep Together....

  • Bob Stern
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
      I think "Keep Together Next [N] Lines" means "keep the present line
      together with the next N lines", so it does make sense when N=1.
      --

      Bob Stern
    • J.J. McVeigh
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
        Bob Stern wrote:

        >I think "Keep Together Next [N] Lines" means "keep the present line
        >together with the next N lines", so it does make sense when N=1.

        Thanks for your reply, Bob. In my experience, the command does not
        seem to work as you describe. For example, if the first line in a
        paragraph or other indented block of text falls as the last line on a
        page, if I go to the beginning of that line, and add such a command
        with N=1, WP does not pull up the immediately succeeding line (the
        second line in the block of text), nor does WP pull the first line of
        the block of text down to the top of the next page. If I make N=2,
        then the first line gets pulled down to the top of the next page, to
        keep it together with the second line of the block of text.
        --

        John
      • J.J. McVeigh
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
          I wrote:

          > >I think "Keep Together Next [N] Lines" means "keep the present line
          >>together with the next N lines", so it does make sense when N=1.
          >
          >Thanks for your reply, Bob. In my experience, the command does not
          >seem to work as you describe. For example, if the first line in a
          >paragraph or other indented block of text falls as the last line on a
          >page, if I go to the beginning of that line, and add such a command
          >with N=1, WP does not pull up the immediately succeeding line (the
          >second line in the block of text), nor does WP pull the first line of
          >the block of text down to the top of the next page. If I make N=2,
          >then the first line gets pulled down to the top of the next page, to
          >keep it together with the second line of the block of text.

          I just tried inserting an N = 1 command at the *end* of the
          introductory line of a paragraph, which was also the last line on the
          page, and I got the same result. Inserting the command had no effect
          on the arrangement of the text. Changing N to a value of 2 resulted
          in the line being pulled down onto the next page, which is the
          desired result.

          From my experience, it seems that, when N = 1, the command instructs
          the program to keep the line within which the command is embedded
          together with itself. That has no practical value.
          --
          John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
          Butler, Maryland 21023-0128
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
            J.J. McVeigh wrote:

            >I wrote:
            >
            >[....]
            >I just tried inserting an N = 1 command at the *end* of the
            >introductory line of a paragraph, which was also the last line on the
            >page, and I got the same result. Inserting the command had no effect
            >on the arrangement of the text. Changing N to a value of 2 resulted
            >in the line being pulled down onto the next page, which is the
            >desired result.
            >
            > From my experience, it seems that, when N = 1, the command instructs
            >the program to keep the line within which the command is embedded
            >together with itself. That has no practical value.

            A little more experimenting...

            With Reveal Codes activated...

            1. If I insert an N=1 command, no new code appears, and no changes
            occur in the layout of the text.

            2. If I toggle N to 2, then a Conditional End of Page code appears,
            and I obtain the desired result, i.e., the leading line of the
            paragraph gets pulled down onto the next page.

            3. If I do not insert an N=1 command, but rather check the
            Widow/Orphan Control box, a [W/O] code appears, and I obtain the
            desired result, i.e., the leading line of the paragraph gets pulled
            down onto the next page.

            It still appears that inserting an N=1 command is a fruitless exercise.
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

              > From my experience, it seems that, when N = 1, the command instructs
              > the program to keep the line within which the command is embedded
              > together with itself. That has no practical value.

              It's worth recalling that the program was written in Utah.

              ;-)

              John R.
            • Kevin McCoy
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
                Do you have ResEdit?
                <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/417>

                If you open the "English (USA)" file (or whatever language you are
                using, e.g., "English (CAN)"), open 'DITL' number 249, select item
                number 5 (under the 'DITL' menu) and then under the 'Resource' menu
                'Open as Dialog Item' you can change the '1' to any number you would
                like�

                -Kevin

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
                  Thanks Kevin. It's worth reminding anyone about to use ResEdit to
                  make a copy of the file you want to modify, and edit the copy.

                  John R.

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

                  > Do you have ResEdit?
                  > <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/417>
                  >
                  > If you open the "English (USA)" file (or whatever language you are
                  > using, e.g., "English (CAN)"), open 'DITL' number 249, select item
                  > number 5 (under the 'DITL' menu) and then under the 'Resource' menu
                  > 'Open as Dialog Item' you can change the '1' to any number you would
                  > like…
                  >
                  > -Kevin
                • Kevin McCoy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2009
                    An excellent point. I was going to mention it, but then I forgot
                    before I hit "send."

                    On Aug 4, 2009, at 12:14 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

                    > Thanks Kevin. It's worth reminding anyone about to use ResEdit to
                    > make a copy of the file you want to modify, and edit the copy.
                    >
                    > John R.
                    >

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Do you have ResEdit?
                    >> <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/417>
                    >>
                    >> If you open the "English (USA)" file (or whatever language you are
                    >> using, e.g., "English (CAN)"), open 'DITL' number 249, select item
                    >> number 5 (under the 'DITL' menu) and then under the 'Resource' menu
                    >> 'Open as Dialog Item' you can change the '1' to any number you would
                    >> like…
                    >>
                    >> -Kevin
                  • Rick Albright
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 4, 2009
                      Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, just to change a default of "1"
                      when you're probably going to change the value each time you use it
                      anyway. I've never used that option myself, though I do regularly use
                      the widow and orphan control.

                      Rick Albright