Keep Together....

  • J.J. McVeigh
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2 6:39 PM
      In WP 3.5ep, under the Layout pull-down menu, there is a Keep
      Together.... command. When I issue such a command, one of the
      choices is Keep Together Next [ ] Lines, and the
      [ ] is a box with increment and decrement arrows to the right. One
      can use these arrows to select the number of lines that one wants to
      keep together. Using this command essentially generates a
      Conditional-End-of-Page command so that one can avoid awkward page
      breaks.

      The default number is the [ ] box is 1. To me at least, that does
      not seem to make any sense. Issuing a command to keep together the
      next one line does not result in any change to the text. Why is not
      the default value 2? Or am I missing something?

      Is there a way to alter the default value?

      Many thanks in advance for any replies.
      --
      John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
      Butler, Maryland 21023-0128
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 9:39 PM
        I think "Keep Together Next [N] Lines" means "keep the present line
        together with the next N lines", so it does make sense when N=1.
        --

        Bob Stern
      • J.J. McVeigh
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3 7:05 AM
          Bob Stern wrote:

          >I think "Keep Together Next [N] Lines" means "keep the present line
          >together with the next N lines", so it does make sense when N=1.

          Thanks for your reply, Bob. In my experience, the command does not
          seem to work as you describe. For example, if the first line in a
          paragraph or other indented block of text falls as the last line on a
          page, if I go to the beginning of that line, and add such a command
          with N=1, WP does not pull up the immediately succeeding line (the
          second line in the block of text), nor does WP pull the first line of
          the block of text down to the top of the next page. If I make N=2,
          then the first line gets pulled down to the top of the next page, to
          keep it together with the second line of the block of text.
          --

          John
        • J.J. McVeigh
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3 7:51 AM
            I wrote:

            > >I think "Keep Together Next [N] Lines" means "keep the present line
            >>together with the next N lines", so it does make sense when N=1.
            >
            >Thanks for your reply, Bob. In my experience, the command does not
            >seem to work as you describe. For example, if the first line in a
            >paragraph or other indented block of text falls as the last line on a
            >page, if I go to the beginning of that line, and add such a command
            >with N=1, WP does not pull up the immediately succeeding line (the
            >second line in the block of text), nor does WP pull the first line of
            >the block of text down to the top of the next page. If I make N=2,
            >then the first line gets pulled down to the top of the next page, to
            >keep it together with the second line of the block of text.

            I just tried inserting an N = 1 command at the *end* of the
            introductory line of a paragraph, which was also the last line on the
            page, and I got the same result. Inserting the command had no effect
            on the arrangement of the text. Changing N to a value of 2 resulted
            in the line being pulled down onto the next page, which is the
            desired result.

            From my experience, it seems that, when N = 1, the command instructs
            the program to keep the line within which the command is embedded
            together with itself. That has no practical value.
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3 8:18 AM
              J.J. McVeigh wrote:

              >I wrote:
              >
              >[....]
              >I just tried inserting an N = 1 command at the *end* of the
              >introductory line of a paragraph, which was also the last line on the
              >page, and I got the same result. Inserting the command had no effect
              >on the arrangement of the text. Changing N to a value of 2 resulted
              >in the line being pulled down onto the next page, which is the
              >desired result.
              >
              > From my experience, it seems that, when N = 1, the command instructs
              >the program to keep the line within which the command is embedded
              >together with itself. That has no practical value.

              A little more experimenting...

              With Reveal Codes activated...

              1. If I insert an N=1 command, no new code appears, and no changes
              occur in the layout of the text.

              2. If I toggle N to 2, then a Conditional End of Page code appears,
              and I obtain the desired result, i.e., the leading line of the
              paragraph gets pulled down onto the next page.

              3. If I do not insert an N=1 command, but rather check the
              Widow/Orphan Control box, a [W/O] code appears, and I obtain the
              desired result, i.e., the leading line of the paragraph gets pulled
              down onto the next page.

              It still appears that inserting an N=1 command is a fruitless exercise.
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3 8:41 PM
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

                > From my experience, it seems that, when N = 1, the command instructs
                > the program to keep the line within which the command is embedded
                > together with itself. That has no practical value.

                It's worth recalling that the program was written in Utah.

                ;-)

                John R.
              • Kevin McCoy
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3 9:46 PM
                  Do you have ResEdit?
                  <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/417>

                  If you open the "English (USA)" file (or whatever language you are
                  using, e.g., "English (CAN)"), open 'DITL' number 249, select item
                  number 5 (under the 'DITL' menu) and then under the 'Resource' menu
                  'Open as Dialog Item' you can change the '1' to any number you would
                  like�

                  -Kevin

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3 11:14 PM
                    Thanks Kevin. It's worth reminding anyone about to use ResEdit to
                    make a copy of the file you want to modify, and edit the copy.

                    John R.

                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

                    > Do you have ResEdit?
                    > <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/417>
                    >
                    > If you open the "English (USA)" file (or whatever language you are
                    > using, e.g., "English (CAN)"), open 'DITL' number 249, select item
                    > number 5 (under the 'DITL' menu) and then under the 'Resource' menu
                    > 'Open as Dialog Item' you can change the '1' to any number you would
                    > like…
                    >
                    > -Kevin
                  • Kevin McCoy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 4 6:16 AM
                      An excellent point. I was going to mention it, but then I forgot
                      before I hit "send."

                      On Aug 4, 2009, at 12:14 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

                      > Thanks Kevin. It's worth reminding anyone about to use ResEdit to
                      > make a copy of the file you want to modify, and edit the copy.
                      >
                      > John R.
                      >

                      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Do you have ResEdit?
                      >> <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/417>
                      >>
                      >> If you open the "English (USA)" file (or whatever language you are
                      >> using, e.g., "English (CAN)"), open 'DITL' number 249, select item
                      >> number 5 (under the 'DITL' menu) and then under the 'Resource' menu
                      >> 'Open as Dialog Item' you can change the '1' to any number you would
                      >> like…
                      >>
                      >> -Kevin
                    • Rick Albright
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 4 7:12 PM
                        Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, just to change a default of "1"
                        when you're probably going to change the value each time you use it
                        anyway. I've never used that option myself, though I do regularly use
                        the widow and orphan control.

                        Rick Albright