somehow solved

  • luskin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2009
      I finally got WordPerfect from the G3 onto the G4, it works beautifully, it
      prints, templates are fine, I can open all my files. And for fun I turned
      the machine off and then on again. All is fine.

      Let me pass on some information that people might want to know about a
      bunch of things.

      I am not a complete neophyte, I have had Apple computers since 1888, I
      remember upgrading to an SE/30 with a full ten million bytes of memory. This
      conversion has been miserable, as perhaps all conversions after ten years are.

      The problem had to do with the flash drive. I had noticed a couple days
      ago that it was formatted for the PC. I tried to format it for the Mac, but
      contrary to what someone said, I was NOT given the option of formatting it
      for the Macintosh on either the G3 or the G4. I put it onto the Macbook Pro,
      and it let me reformat it as Mac OS (Journal), whatever that means. I tried
      to transfer the files using it, but it did not work. I put the flash drive
      onto the G3 and clicked erase. This time, it let me format it as Mac OS
      Standard. I put the WordPerfect files onto it, and moved them to the G4 with
      no trouble. So the lesson is that, for some reason, the medium IS the
      message. I am going to try to move the fonts to the G4 the same way, even though
      I got them there through AOL already.

      So there it is on the dock, and I am having a wonderful day. I think that
      OS X does not have aliases the same way as OS 9. After WordPerfect starts
      up, the OS 9 icon goes away, but everything works perfectly.

      Someone suggested moving the files via localtalk. This G4 does not have
      localtalk, I wonder if any of them ever did.

      Now all I have to do is to figure out how to get the bookmarks into folders
      on firefox, which I think has a lousy interface, and get the fonts problem
      taken care of. And probably a bunch of tiny things that will pop up for
      months. And get people used to a new gmail address.

      Thank you for the help. As is so often the case, the questions were even
      more helpful than the answers.

      </HTML>
    • steve97m
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2009
        Very glad to hear about your success. I wanted to correct one thing in the event someone might find it useful. I recommended you transfer the files via Appletalk, which is available on the G4 as well as the Macbooks, not localtalk, which is not available. This allows you to preserve the resource forks which is what the Mac formatted drive allowed you to do. Again, glad to hear your problem is solved. You'll love Sheepshaver when you eventually use the Macbook.
      • Patrick Sheffield
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2009
          Also - don't forget, compressing them into a flat file like .sit
          or .zip gets them thru MSDOS unscathed...

          Patrick