Re: [wpmac] Various problems

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
      Dear Michael

      This does not respond to your questions, but Sheepshaver on the intel
      machine will feel a lot more like the G3 than running Classic under
      OS X on the G4 - you are transported back in time to the era of pre-X
      (in fact, courtesy of John's download, you are transported back
      further to OS 7.6). It might save a lot of time later on to move to
      Sheepshaver now and start asking all the inevitable questions about
      increasing the default size of the virtual Sheepshaver disk, how to
      upgrade to at least OS 8.6 and how to sort out any printing glitches
      from Sheepshaver - I should add, all of those issues have been
      resolved in this forum.

      Geoff

      >I want to use the G4 as an intermediate step for several reasons. One of
      >them is that we have it, no money is wasted to use it. I want to get
      >WordPerfect running on the G4, then worry about sheepshaver.

    • geoffrey mendelson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
        On Jul 7, 2009, at 9:28 AM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

        > Dear Michael
        >
        > This does not respond to your questions, but Sheepshaver on the intel
        > machine will feel a lot more like the G3 than running Classic under
        > OS X on the G4 - you are transported back in time to the era of pre-X
        > (in fact, courtesy of John's download, you are transported back
        > further to OS 7.6). It might save a lot of time later on to move to
        > Sheepshaver now and start asking all the inevitable questions about
        > increasing the default size of the virtual Sheepshaver disk, how to
        > upgrade to at least OS 8.6 and how to sort out any printing glitches
        > from Sheepshaver - I should add, all of those issues have been
        > resolved in this forum.

        I'm running 9.0.4. The only problem I have is that I could never get
        Leopard's disk utility to verify the disk if the disk check at boot
        time found an error.

        I got around this the hard way, I set up another empty disk, installed
        OS 9.0.4 and DiskWarrior on it. When I need to check the disk I boot
        SheepShaver from that disk image instead of the regular one. I assume
        if you want to do it without DiskWarrior, you could just use the Apple
        program.

        Geoff.

        --
        geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM