Various problems

  • luskin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
      I want to use the G4 as an intermediate step for several reasons. One of
      them is that we have it, no money is wasted to use it. I want to get
      WordPerfect running on the G4, then worry about sheepshaver.

      As to why I need an upgraded machine if my only application is WordPerfect,
      I was not specific enough. I spend a lot of time on the web, the browser
      question is critical. While I CAN run WordPerfect on the G3s, I can no
      longer adequately use the web. To use gmail, as well as most web features, I
      need a later browser, as well as DSL. Try reading the New York Times without a
      new browser, to say nothing of DSL. So I need a new machine.

      As a test, I just copied a small program onto the flash drive, and moved it
      to the G4. When I double clicked it, I did not get classic opening. All I
      got was Textedit. So either something simple is wrong or something major.

      I noticed that the flash drive is formatted MS-DOS File System (FAT16). I
      don't know if there is a Mac format or not, akin to floppy disk Mac format,
      but I can't see a place to reformat this as a Mac format drive, and the
      Pogue book does not talk about it. Disk utility on the G4 does not reformat
      disks, nor does erase reformat flash drives on the G3. I don't know if this
      makes a difference, but there is something on the flash drive called resource
      fork.

      I only want to get WordPerfect running on the G4, and would appreciate
      whatever ideas I could try. </HTML>
    • steve97m
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
        Instead of using the flash drive with its MS-DOS formatting, transfer the file(s) using Appletalk. This will preserve the resource fork which I believe is causing your problems. Reformatting the flash drive to Macintosh format or using Stuffit should also work but using Appletalk (afp) eliminates the need to do that.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, luskin@... wrote:

          > I noticed that the flash drive is formatted MS-DOS File System (FAT16). I
          > don't know if there is a Mac format or not, akin to floppy disk Mac format,
          > but I can't see a place to reformat this as a Mac format drive.

          Insert the flash drive in the G3 machine. Select (highlight) its icon on the desktop. On the top-line menu, choose Special, Erase Disk, and follow the prompts to reformat the drive as a Mac format (it doesn't matter which one you choose).
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
            Dear Michael

            This does not respond to your questions, but Sheepshaver on the intel
            machine will feel a lot more like the G3 than running Classic under
            OS X on the G4 - you are transported back in time to the era of pre-X
            (in fact, courtesy of John's download, you are transported back
            further to OS 7.6). It might save a lot of time later on to move to
            Sheepshaver now and start asking all the inevitable questions about
            increasing the default size of the virtual Sheepshaver disk, how to
            upgrade to at least OS 8.6 and how to sort out any printing glitches
            from Sheepshaver - I should add, all of those issues have been
            resolved in this forum.

            Geoff

            >I want to use the G4 as an intermediate step for several reasons. One of
            >them is that we have it, no money is wasted to use it. I want to get
            >WordPerfect running on the G4, then worry about sheepshaver.

          • geoffrey mendelson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
              On Jul 7, 2009, at 9:28 AM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

              > Dear Michael
              >
              > This does not respond to your questions, but Sheepshaver on the intel
              > machine will feel a lot more like the G3 than running Classic under
              > OS X on the G4 - you are transported back in time to the era of pre-X
              > (in fact, courtesy of John's download, you are transported back
              > further to OS 7.6). It might save a lot of time later on to move to
              > Sheepshaver now and start asking all the inevitable questions about
              > increasing the default size of the virtual Sheepshaver disk, how to
              > upgrade to at least OS 8.6 and how to sort out any printing glitches
              > from Sheepshaver - I should add, all of those issues have been
              > resolved in this forum.

              I'm running 9.0.4. The only problem I have is that I could never get
              Leopard's disk utility to verify the disk if the disk check at boot
              time found an error.

              I got around this the hard way, I set up another empty disk, installed
              OS 9.0.4 and DiskWarrior on it. When I need to check the disk I boot
              SheepShaver from that disk image instead of the regular one. I assume
              if you want to do it without DiskWarrior, you could just use the Apple
              program.

              Geoff.

              --
              geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM