silly (and stupid) questions

  • luskin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2009
      I learned a long time ago that, when someone says, "Forgive me for
      asking...," or "This may be a silly question…," or "This might be a stupid
      question...," that they are really politely asking "What are you talking about?"

      So I better explain what I am trying to do better than I did before.

      We had three Gs, a G4, two Apple laser printers, and dial up with AOL. We
      decided to do a staged upgrade of everything. We first bought a Brother
      printer, thanks to recommendations from, among others, Randy Singer, and are
      very happy with it. We got rid of an Apple Personal LaserWriter.

      Then we got a MacBook Pro. Then a Mac Pro. Then DSL. I am in the process
      of moving to gmail and getting rid of AOL as my main email client. I
      decided to move to the G4 from the desktop G3, as a way station to the Mac Pro.
      I decided that the G4 would be fine until I got used to OS X, Tiger.

      My two main applications are email (now AOL, soon gmail), and WordPerfect.
      I want them running on the same machine, and I want to use Apple mail to
      carry my AOL mail to gmail, or something like that. I will give new people my
      gmail address, and move lists, etc., to gmail. I do not want to get rid of
      AOL completely, only dial up AOL, since I have had AOL for twenty years,
      and a lot of people use my AOL address.

      Right now we are using the MacBook Pro and a G4, and are on line via DSL
      and an Airport. With a fair amount of effort, I have gotten most of the way
      onto the G4, but still am having some difficulties. I will not complain abou
      t how hard it was to find out how to do start up items, and a bunch of other
      things, I am not so happy with OS X.

      And the Scott Kelby book is not in full agreement with the David Pogue
      Tiger book.

      I wrote to this list about my problems moving my custom fonts to the G4,
      since I think it is a WordPerfect problem, at east for me. It was impossible
      to do it by copying them to a flash drive, I tried many variants of that
      process. Finally, I sent myself email messages with the fonts as attachments.
      Problem solved! AOL did the trick for some reason. I am curious why this
      worked, I wonder if it is not possible to move fonts in any other way than
      by attachments to email. But that is not important.

      That leaves WordPerfect. I am very happily using WordPerfect 3.5e2ß0 on
      the G3, which I believe is the latest version of enhanced WordPerfect. It
      also has the nice splash screen.

      I moved the entire WordPerfect folder, everything, including the
      preferences in another folder, to the G4. So the question is, how do I make it run?
      For some reason, although I can start other programs under classic, I cannot
      seem to get the imported version of WordPerfect to run. Must I go to the
      web site and get the files all over again? Is there a simple way to get the
      program with the splash screen? I would LOVE to make classic recognize what
      I carried over by flash drive. Is it possible?

      I hope that this answered the "silly" and "stupid" questions competently,
      without being confusing, in preparation for my asking this final one. Once I
      get rid of the G3, and am running with confidence on the G4, the next step
      is to get another MacBook Pro and sheepshaver. At which point the entire
      upgrade will be complete!

      I hope someone can answer this question. Thank you for reading my long
      winded post.

      Best regards,

      Michael B. Luskin</HTML>
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, luskin@... wrote:

        > So I better explain what I am trying to do better than I did before.

        What I think you are trying to tell us are these four facts:

        1. You have a G3 Mac running OS 9, with WordPerfect running on it.

        2. You have a G4 Mac running OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and you want to run WordPerfect on it.

        3. You tried to copy WordPerfect from the OS 9 G3 system to the OS X Tiger G4 system by copying its folder (and the WP Preferences folder in the G3 System Folder) via a flash drive.

        4. The copy of WordPerfect that you copied from the OS 9 G3 system doesn't run on the OS X Tiger G4 system.

        If that is in fact what you were telling us, and I think I'm correctly interpreting what you said (you never specified what OS the G3 system is running, but it seems to be OS 9), then the possible solutions are these:

        1 (most likely). The flash drive that you used was formatted with the FAT file system used by DOS. The FAT file system doesn't understand resource forks and other Mac-specific file information and so this information was not copied over to the new system. If this is the case, then you should reformat the flash drive with a Mac file system, and try the copy again. If you don't know how to reformat a drive on a Mac, look it up in one of the books that you already have (you mentioned two) or some similar book on OS 9, and you will find a full explanation. You should probably reformat the drive via the OS 9 G3 system for the greatest possible compatibility between the two systems. You could also connect the two systems via an Ethernet cable and set up a small network between them, and copy the WP folder and WP Preferences folder via the Ethernet cable. Details here:

        http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/os9x_net_n_filesharing.html

        2 (much less likely). You copied the WP Preferences folder into the wrong folder on the G4 OS X Tiger system. The WordPerfect Preferences need to go into the Preferences folder in the folder named "System Folder" (two words), NOT the folder named "System" (one word).
      • Patrick Sheffield
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2009
          If you can ZIP or STUFFIT the folder on the G3, that can also make it
          thru the FAT file system... Expand it when you put it on your G4.

          Patrick