Re: [wpmac] Mac WP coordinate system (was: Re: A1 paper size?)

  • Kevin McCoy
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
      On Jul 5, 2009, at 6:06 AM, Kevin McCoy wrote:

      > On Jul 4, 2009, at 9:43 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:
      >
      >> it would be interesting to see a discussion of why the apparent
      >> relative coarseness of MacOS/Quickdraw (72dpi vs 1200 dpi) works so
      >> well.
      >> Are Postscript and Truetype fonts part of the answer?
      >
      > It is because Mac WP uses a 32 bit fixed point number instead of a 16
      > bit integer number. Effectively giving it a resolution of about
      > 720,000 dpi.
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_arithmetic>

      And Postscript does help. Since it uses a floating point coordinate
      space, which is easily converted to from the fixed point space.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009

        > Furthermore, what you describe as theoretically possible is also practically possible. I found an OS 9 DesignJet driver and installed it in OS 9.04 running under SheepShaver. I used the Adobe PS driver to create a virtual printer that used the DesignJet printer description file and saved the output to a PS file on the desktop. WordPerfect crashed a few times when I tried to select this printer driver and choose an "ISO A1" paper size, but it finally settled down, and created a .PS output file in A1 format. I copied that file to the OS X desktop, opened it in Preview, and saved it as an A1-sized PDF file.

        I've now updated my BasiliskII-WPMac setup to include a "Plotter-sized" virtual printer driver that can create PDF files in A1 or any other conceivable page size. Details here:

        http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html

        (John: I've also made minor improvements in the installer script.)