Re: [wpmac] Re: A1 paper size?

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2009
      In a message dated 2009.07.04 09:45 -0500, Edward Mendelson wrote:
      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

      >> Actually, Mac WP uses the Quickdraw coordinate system (72 dpi), not
      >> the WP Windows system (1200 dpi). It is therefore, theoretically,
      >> possible to print to a paper nearly 38 feet across (32767 / 72 = 455
      >> inches or 37' 11"). The only limitation should be your printer and
      >> it's driver.
      >>
      >> The Mac WP file format indicates that most coordinates are
      >> represented by a signed 32 bit fixed point number, which is accurate
      >> to four decimal places (±32767.0000 72nds of an inch).
      >
      > You're right ... I'd never guessed that the Mac version used a different system of measurements.

      Nor would I; it would be interesting to see a discussion of why the apparent
      relative coarseness of MacOS/Quickdraw (72dpi vs 1200 dpi) works so well.
      Are Postscript and Truetype fonts part of the answer?

      > Again - thanks for this information.

      Thanks to both of you for that information on OS/application coordinate
      systems and their limitations.

      John K.
    • Kevin McCoy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
        On Jul 4, 2009, at 9:43 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:

        > it would be interesting to see a discussion of why the apparent
        > relative coarseness of MacOS/Quickdraw (72dpi vs 1200 dpi) works so
        > well.
        > Are Postscript and Truetype fonts part of the answer?

        It is because Mac WP uses a 32 bit fixed point number instead of a 16
        bit integer number. Effectively giving it a resolution of about
        720,000 dpi.
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_arithmetic>

      • Kevin McCoy
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
          On Jul 5, 2009, at 6:06 AM, Kevin McCoy wrote:

          > On Jul 4, 2009, at 9:43 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:
          >
          >> it would be interesting to see a discussion of why the apparent
          >> relative coarseness of MacOS/Quickdraw (72dpi vs 1200 dpi) works so
          >> well.
          >> Are Postscript and Truetype fonts part of the answer?
          >
          > It is because Mac WP uses a 32 bit fixed point number instead of a 16
          > bit integer number. Effectively giving it a resolution of about
          > 720,000 dpi.
          > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_arithmetic>

          And Postscript does help. Since it uses a floating point coordinate
          space, which is easily converted to from the fixed point space.
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009

            > Furthermore, what you describe as theoretically possible is also practically possible. I found an OS 9 DesignJet driver and installed it in OS 9.04 running under SheepShaver. I used the Adobe PS driver to create a virtual printer that used the DesignJet printer description file and saved the output to a PS file on the desktop. WordPerfect crashed a few times when I tried to select this printer driver and choose an "ISO A1" paper size, but it finally settled down, and created a .PS output file in A1 format. I copied that file to the OS X desktop, opened it in Preview, and saved it as an A1-sized PDF file.

            I've now updated my BasiliskII-WPMac setup to include a "Plotter-sized" virtual printer driver that can create PDF files in A1 or any other conceivable page size. Details here:

            http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html

            (John: I've also made minor improvements in the installer script.)