Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [wpmac] Re: A1 paper size?

Expand Messages
  • Kevin McCoy
    ... Actually, Mac WP uses the Quickdraw coordinate system (72 dpi), not the WP Windows system (1200 dpi). It is therefore, theoretically, possible to print to
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      On Jul 3, 2009, at 10:47 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> In a message dated 2009.07.03 17:42 -0500, Edward Mendelson wrote:
      >>
      >>> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "iainmeek"
      >>> <wordperfectmac@> wrote:
      >>
      >>>> Does anyone know if it's possible to print out to A1 size from
      >>>> Sheepshaver?
      >>>>
      >>> Are you asking whether you can print an A1-size page from
      >>> WordPerfect for the Mac, running under Sheepshaver? If so, the
      >>> answer is No...
      >>
      >> Interesting. If the printing device can handle A1, where is the
      >> limitation?
      >> WP/Mac (I believe other WP versions have no such limit) or
      >> Sheepshaver? -
      >> and why?
      >
      > All versions of WordPerfect (including the current Windows
      > versions) have a page size limit of 27.3 inches. As Roy
      > Lewis explained in a recent post on a Corel newsgroup
      > his words):
      >
      > "WP has a limit of 27.306in ... AFAICS WP has a limit of
      > (2^16)/2-1 (32767). This is the maximum figure that can be
      > represented by a signed binary 16-bit integer. (Adding 1
      > to this figure, binary 0111_1111_1111_1111, makes it a
      > negative value: 1000_0000_0000_0000 - the leading 1 is
      > a 'sign bit'.) Using WP Units, 1200 to the inch, this
      > equates to 27.306in."
      >
      > Of course, it could be worse. Microsoft Word has a page
      > size limit of 22 inches.

      Actually, Mac WP uses the Quickdraw coordinate system (72 dpi), not
      the WP Windows system (1200 dpi). It is therefore, theoretically,
      possible to print to a paper nearly 38 feet across (32767 / 72 = 455
      inches or 37' 11"). The only limitation should be your printer and
      it's driver.

      The Mac WP file format indicates that most coordinates are
      represented by a signed 32 bit fixed point number, which is accurate
      to four decimal places (±32767.0000 72nds of an inch).

      Just for interests sake; Word uses the TWIPS (twentieths of a point,
      or 1440 / inch) system, which is why it is limited to 22 inches
      (32767 / 1440 = 22.75).
    • Edward Mendelson
      ... You re right, and I was completely wrong. Fascinating! Thanks for that - I d never guessed that the Mac version used a different system of measurements.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:
        > Actually, Mac WP uses the Quickdraw coordinate system (72 dpi), not
        > the WP Windows system (1200 dpi). It is therefore, theoretically,
        > possible to print to a paper nearly 38 feet across (32767 / 72 = 455
        > inches or 37' 11"). The only limitation should be your printer and
        > it's driver.
        >
        > The Mac WP file format indicates that most coordinates are
        > represented by a signed 32 bit fixed point number, which is accurate
        > to four decimal places (±32767.0000 72nds of an inch).

        You're right, and I was completely wrong. Fascinating! Thanks for that - I'd never guessed that the Mac version used a different system of measurements.

        Furthermore, what you describe as theoretically possible is also practically possible. I found an OS 9 DesignJet driver and installed it in OS 9.04 running under SheepShaver. I used the Adobe PS driver to create a virtual printer that used the DesignJet printer description file and saved the output to a PS file on the desktop. WordPerfect crashed a few times when I tried to select this printer driver and choose an "ISO A1" paper size, but it finally settled down, and created a .PS output file in A1 format. I copied that file to the OS X desktop, opened it in Preview, and saved it as an A1-sized PDF file.

        Again - thanks for this information. I'll try to add the large-format printer description file to my BasiliskII-WPMac setup.
      • John Kaufmann
        ... Nor would I; it would be interesting to see a discussion of why the apparent relative coarseness of MacOS/Quickdraw (72dpi vs 1200 dpi) works so well. Are
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          In a message dated 2009.07.04 09:45 -0500, Edward Mendelson wrote:
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

          >> Actually, Mac WP uses the Quickdraw coordinate system (72 dpi), not
          >> the WP Windows system (1200 dpi). It is therefore, theoretically,
          >> possible to print to a paper nearly 38 feet across (32767 / 72 = 455
          >> inches or 37' 11"). The only limitation should be your printer and
          >> it's driver.
          >>
          >> The Mac WP file format indicates that most coordinates are
          >> represented by a signed 32 bit fixed point number, which is accurate
          >> to four decimal places (±32767.0000 72nds of an inch).
          >
          > You're right ... I'd never guessed that the Mac version used a different system of measurements.

          Nor would I; it would be interesting to see a discussion of why the apparent
          relative coarseness of MacOS/Quickdraw (72dpi vs 1200 dpi) works so well.
          Are Postscript and Truetype fonts part of the answer?

          > Again - thanks for this information.

          Thanks to both of you for that information on OS/application coordinate
          systems and their limitations.

          John K.
        • Kevin McCoy
          ... It is because Mac WP uses a 32 bit fixed point number instead of a 16 bit integer number. Effectively giving it a resolution of about 720,000 dpi.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            On Jul 4, 2009, at 9:43 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:

            > it would be interesting to see a discussion of why the apparent
            > relative coarseness of MacOS/Quickdraw (72dpi vs 1200 dpi) works so
            > well.
            > Are Postscript and Truetype fonts part of the answer?

            It is because Mac WP uses a 32 bit fixed point number instead of a 16
            bit integer number. Effectively giving it a resolution of about
            720,000 dpi.
            <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_arithmetic>



            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Kevin McCoy
            ... And Postscript does help. Since it uses a floating point coordinate space, which is easily converted to from the fixed point space.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              On Jul 5, 2009, at 6:06 AM, Kevin McCoy wrote:

              > On Jul 4, 2009, at 9:43 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:
              >
              >> it would be interesting to see a discussion of why the apparent
              >> relative coarseness of MacOS/Quickdraw (72dpi vs 1200 dpi) works so
              >> well.
              >> Are Postscript and Truetype fonts part of the answer?
              >
              > It is because Mac WP uses a 32 bit fixed point number instead of a 16
              > bit integer number. Effectively giving it a resolution of about
              > 720,000 dpi.
              > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_arithmetic>

              And Postscript does help. Since it uses a floating point coordinate
              space, which is easily converted to from the fixed point space.
            • Edward Mendelson
              ... I ve now updated my BasiliskII-WPMac setup to include a Plotter-sized virtual printer driver that can create PDF files in A1 or any other conceivable
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...> wrote:
                >
                > Furthermore, what you describe as theoretically possible is also practically possible. I found an OS 9 DesignJet driver and installed it in OS 9.04 running under SheepShaver. I used the Adobe PS driver to create a virtual printer that used the DesignJet printer description file and saved the output to a PS file on the desktop. WordPerfect crashed a few times when I tried to select this printer driver and choose an "ISO A1" paper size, but it finally settled down, and created a .PS output file in A1 format. I copied that file to the OS X desktop, opened it in Preview, and saved it as an A1-sized PDF file.
                >

                I've now updated my BasiliskII-WPMac setup to include a "Plotter-sized" virtual printer driver that can create PDF files in A1 or any other conceivable page size. Details here:

                http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html

                (John: I've also made minor improvements in the installer script.)
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.