various problems

  • luskin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
      I am in the process of attempting a major upgrade and am having a rotten
      time. I am trying to move from a G3, running OS 9.1 to a brand new Mac Pro,
      running I believe Leopard. My intermediate step is through a G4, and I am
      having a great deal of trouble getting onto the G4 from the G3. Oddly enough,
      the only thing that moved flawlessly and easily was AOL, though I plan to
      move to gmail as soon as I can get onto a newer platform. Moving from dial
      up to DSL was easy, even configuring a wireless airport...

      This afternoon I am returning the MacPro while I still have unconditional
      return privileges, which run out in three days.

      I have used WordPerfect for twenty years, and I want to stay with it, on
      whatever platform. I have no intention of trying sheepshaver if I can't get
      WordPerfect to work on classic, so first I want to get it onto the G4.

      I did a getinfo on the G3, and the version of WordPerfect I have there is
      3.5e2ß0. I can't remember how I did it, but I was able to get the very nice
      initial screen (splash screen?) onto the application. That involved using a
      program with an odd name, such as OOO... I would like this running on the
      G4, and the Mac Pro, if I get another one.

      A long time ago, I put a copy of WordPerfect onto the G4, it is 3.5.3.
      When I click on it, it starts the classic environment, and I can run
      WordPerfect. I have never tried to print or do anything else with it, but at least it
      runs.

      I moved my entire WordPerfect folder from the G3 to the G4 by flash drive,
      and I removed the Corel WordPerfect 3.5.3 file, which at least ran. I
      substituted the 3.5e file, and it does nothing. When I double click it, it
      expands for a moment, but nothing happens. It does not even have the usual
      WordPerfect icon, it looks like a computer monitor. Is it possible to recover
      from this situation?

      I would like to be able to run the 3.5e version of WordPerfect on the G4,
      and ultimately on the MacPro, if I get it again and if I can move my software
      to it. Is it possible to recover from where I am?

      In addition, I have tried to move my custom font collection from the G3 to
      the G4. The only application I use very much, beside email, is WordPerfect,
      so I look at this as a WordPerfect question. I bought two books, Kelby's
      Mac OS conversion kit, and Pogue's Max OS X Tiger Edition, The Missing
      Manual. On page 127, Kelby explains how to install fonts. On page 523, Pogue
      explains how to install fonts, and it is different from what Kelby says. What
      they have in common is that neither works for me. What is interesting is
      that I can move the fonts from the G3 to a Compaq machine, but not to a newer
      Apple machine.

      Assuming that this is all my fault, what could I be doing wrong?

      Michael B. Luskin</HTML>
    • Michael Carrigan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
        The newest macs do not support Classic.  I found out the hard way on a legal application.  Fortunately I kept my 7 year old G4!  I had no problem moving all files from my G4 to the new MacBook via a firewire connection.  I cannot help you on Wordperfect since I use MSWord for everything.  Good luck!  You did buy a great machine!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
          Can I ask an possibly silly question?

          If you only use WordPerfect, why move to a MacPro?

          Patrick

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
            There's an even sillier question. Why not use a MacPro with
            Sheepshaver, which is Classic Mac. Using Symlinks (see the archive),
            you can keep your WP files with your main OS X files (eg, pdfs). What
            I don't get is the G4 step in the process.

            Geoff (still writing academic law articles in WP3.5e on a MacBook Pro)

            >Can I ask an possibly silly question?
            >
            >If you only use WordPerfect, why move to a MacPro?
            >
            >Patrick
            >
            >On Jul 3, 2009, at 10:30 AM, luskin@... wrote:
            >

            >> I am in the process of attempting a major upgrade and am having a
            >> rotten
            >> time. I am trying to move from a G3, running OS 9.1 to a brand new
            >> Mac Pro,

          • Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
              Well If you really, absolutely positively go to have Word perfect in the
              Intel Mac You can use the tools here to open WP. Or if you want to move
              on to modern WP you can you boot camp or equivalent install a version of
              windows and get the PC version.

              In this case this is not an emulator. Intel Chips have feature where you
              can run more than one OS in the chip with an intervening program to to
              use that section.

              So you can use the best of both world without having to buy two
              different computers.

              --
              Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
              616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809