reading Wordperfect docs in an older version of MS Word

  • michael.gralnick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2009
      I am still using Office version vX for Macintosh, which I believe is the last version of Office (& MS Word) before Microsoft switched to numbered versions. I would rather not upgrade and have to get accustomed to a newer version's slightly different formats. I would also rather not get a trial version of a newer version, because I've found that the newer, trial version somehow becomes the default and it can be hard to revert back to the previous version once the trial period ends.

      But, I need to read and save to Wordperfect (and only for a few days worth of exchanging documents with someone else).

      Are there any converters or other solutions that will work with my earlier version of Word to enable me to open and save as a Wordperfect document?
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, michael.gralnick <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > I am still using Office version vX for Macintosh, which I believe is the last version of Office (& MS Word) before Microsoft switched to numbered versions. I would rather not upgrade and have to get accustomed to a newer version's slightly different formats. I would also rather not get a trial version of a newer version, because I've found that the newer, trial version somehow becomes the default and it can be hard to revert back to the previous version once the trial period ends.
        >
        > But, I need to read and save to Wordperfect (and only for a few days worth of exchanging documents with someone else).
        >
        > Are there any converters or other solutions that will work with my earlier version of Word to enable me to open and save as a Wordperfect document?

        Word X cannot read WordPerfect files and cannot save in WP format. Three possible solutions:

        If "someone else" is computer-literate, and is using any recent version of WordPerfect (say, version 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, X3, X4), then ask that person to use WordPerfect's File/Save As... menu to save the files in Microsoft Word 97/2000/2003 format so that you can open the files on your system, save them in the same format, and send them back so that the other person can re-import them into WordPerfect.

        Or, if the other person can't be counted on to do this, download and install MacLink Plus Deluxe (expensive but reasonably effective if the documents have only simple formatting):

        http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/

        Use MacLink Plus to convert the WP files into Word format; edit and save them in Word format; then use MacLink Plus again to convert them back to WP format. This is probably the best solution if the other person is likely to get confused by opening and saving files in different formats.

        Or, again if the other person can't be counted on to send you Word-formatted files, download and install the free NeoOffice office suite (search online for it); use it to open the WP files and save the files in Word format so that you can edit them (or simply edit them in NeoOffice), and save the files in something like Word 6.0 or RTF format, which can be opened in WordPerfect for Windows. (NeoOffice can open files in WP format, but can't save to WP format).

        In all cases, the results won't be perfect, but the plain text will probably survive correctly, even if the formatting gets changed along the way.