cross platform editing in WordPerfect

  • cpgrabill
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 23, 2009
      I just joined this group this morning for the purpose of finding out some needed info ASAP. So please excuse any lapses in etiquette I may commit from not being an informed member.
      I have WordPerfect 7.0.2.45 installed on a Windows 2000 OS. My friend has an old Mac (version unknown) which we are thinking about installing WordPerfect for Mac 3.5e on.
      The goal is to e-mail as e-mail attachments back and forth as we mutually edit .wpd documents.
      Will my friend and I be able to simply open and work on the transferred .wpd documents or will there be some kind of conversion operation necessary? Also, will there be any formatting lost in passing the document betwixt the two WP programs mentioned? Mmmm... I guess I should ask whether WP 3.5e, notwithstanding it's different OS platforming, is even going to be able to display stuff created in my WP 7.0.2.45. Thank you for any help and/or advice you can give me.
      C.P. Grabill
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 23, 2009
        You'll be able to do this without much trouble. See the Conversions folder in the Files section here.

        John R.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "cpgrabill" <cpgrabill@...> wrote:

        > I just joined this group this morning for the purpose of finding out some needed info ASAP. So please excuse any lapses in etiquette I may commit from not being an informed member.
        > I have WordPerfect 7.0.2.45 installed on a Windows 2000 OS. My friend has an old Mac (version unknown) which we are thinking about installing WordPerfect for Mac 3.5e on.
        > The goal is to e-mail as e-mail attachments back and forth as we mutually edit .wpd documents.
        > Will my friend and I be able to simply open and work on the transferred .wpd documents or will there be some kind of conversion operation necessary? Also, will there be any formatting lost in passing the document betwixt the two WP programs mentioned? Mmmm... I guess I should ask whether WP 3.5e, notwithstanding it's different OS platforming, is even going to be able to display stuff created in my WP 7.0.2.45. Thank you for any help and/or advice you can give me.
        > C.P. Grabill

      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 23, 2009
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "cpgrabill" <cpgrabill@...> wrote:

          > I have WordPerfect 7.0.2.45 installed on a Windows 2000 OS. My friend has an old Mac (version unknown) which we are thinking about installing WordPerfect for Mac 3.5e on.
          > The goal is to e-mail as e-mail attachments back and forth as we mutually edit .wpd documents.

          This will work if and ONLY if your friend saves files from WP for the Mac in a "WP for PC" format. Files saved in the default, native format of WPMac 3.5e cannot be read by any version of WordPerfect for Windows.

          Details here:

          http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html#openinothers
        • cpgrabill
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 23, 2009

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "cpgrabill" <cpgrabill@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have WordPerfect 7.0.2.45 installed on a Windows 2000 OS. My friend has an old Mac (version unknown) which we are thinking about installing WordPerfect for Mac 3.5e on.
            > > The goal is to e-mail as e-mail attachments back and forth as we mutually edit .wpd documents.
            >
            > This will work if and ONLY if your friend saves files from WP for the Mac in a "WP for PC" format. Files saved in the default, native format of WPMac 3.5e cannot be read by any version of WordPerfect for Windows.
            >
            > Details here:
            >
            > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html#openinothers

            Thank you very much for your quick help to us. Your news was not what we wanted to hear, but the faster the truth is known the less damage may be done.
            Is there anything out there that can be used to share editing duties on multi-page reports (with graphics) between her old Mac and my Win2000 that is, furthermore, free or next to it??
          • cpgrabill
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 23, 2009
              Thank you for your help. However, it seems the conversions aren't entirely seamless; they lose some formatting in the conversion process. Is there anything we can get on our separate machines that will just open up the document so that it looks EXACTLY like it was made by the other, yet be edit-able by the recipient?

              > You'll be able to do this without much trouble. See the Conversions folder in the Files section here.
              >
              > John R.
              >

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "cpgrabill" <cpgrabill@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I just joined this group this morning for the purpose of finding out some needed info ASAP. So please excuse any lapses in etiquette I may commit from not being an informed member.
              > > I have WordPerfect 7.0.2.45 installed on a Windows 2000 OS. My friend has an old Mac (version unknown) which we are thinking about installing WordPerfect for Mac 3.5e on.
              > > The goal is to e-mail as e-mail attachments back and forth as we mutually edit .wpd documents.
              > > Will my friend and I be able to simply open and work on the transferred .wpd documents or will there be some kind of conversion operation necessary? Also, will there be any formatting lost in passing the document betwixt the two WP programs mentioned? Mmmm... I guess I should ask whether WP 3.5e, notwithstanding it's different OS platforming, is even going to be able to display stuff created in my WP 7.0.2.45. Thank you for any help and/or advice you can give me.
              > > C.P. Grabill

            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 23, 2009
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "cpgrabill" <cpgrabill@...> wrote:

                > Thank you very much for your quick help to us. Your news was not what we wanted to hear, but the faster the truth is known the less damage may be done.
                > Is there anything out there that can be used to share editing duties on multi-page reports (with graphics) between her old Mac and my Win2000 that is, furthermore, free or next to it??

                If you want to preserve exact formatting between the Windows machine and the Mac, then the only way to accomplish this is by running the exact same program on both. If the old Mac has enough memory and speed, you might be able to install Virtual PC on the Mac, then install Windows 98 inside Virtual PC, and then install WordPerfect 7 in Windows 98. This would be slow, clumsy, unreliable, and generally frustrating, and may not even be physically possible. It makes more sense for you both to use Windows machines.
              • JChurchill
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 24, 2009
                  What about Google Apps? I¹m not familiar with their applications, but if you
                  each can access the web with your machine¹s browser then perhaps you could
                  use Google Doc for collaboration?
                  --
                  Judy Rae Churchill

                • Steve Kane
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 24, 2009
                    On Jun 23, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "cpgrabill" <cpgrabill@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    >> Thank you very much for your quick help to us. Your news was not
                    >> what we wanted to hear, but the faster the truth is known the less
                    >> damage may be done.
                    >> Is there anything out there that can be used to share editing
                    >> duties on multi-page reports (with graphics) between her old Mac
                    >> and my Win2000 that is, furthermore, free or next to it??
                    >>
                    > If you want to preserve exact formatting between the Windows machine
                    > and the Mac, then the only way to accomplish this is by running the
                    > exact same program on both. If the old Mac has enough memory and
                    > speed, you might be able to install Virtual PC on the Mac, then
                    > install Windows 98 inside Virtual PC, and then install WordPerfect 7
                    > in Windows 98. This would be slow, clumsy, unreliable, and generally
                    > frustrating, and may not even be physically possible. It makes more
                    > sense for you both to use Windows machines.

                    Edward's post got me thinking about Microsoft Word 5.1a for Mac. I
                    wonder if Word 5.1a for Mac could open and save to a version of Word
                    for pc from the Windows 2000 era. (Windows 2000 must be a while ago,
                    because I think Windows XP is, what, eight years old?) If so that
                    might provide better file compatibility. I may have a copy of Word
                    5.1a for Mac to check it's export abilities but I can't check this
                    till later this evening or tomorrow.

                    It would be helpful to know what Mac running what Mac OS your friend
                    has. Also do you have a version of Word or Works on your pc?
                  • Edward Mendelson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 24, 2009
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "cpgrabill" <cpgrabill@...> wrote:

                      > I just joined this group this morning for the purpose of finding out some needed info ASAP. So please excuse any lapses in etiquette I may commit from not being an informed member.
                      > I have WordPerfect 7.0.2.45 installed on a Windows 2000 OS. My friend has an old Mac (version unknown) which we are thinking about installing WordPerfect for Mac 3.5e on.
                      > The goal is to e-mail as e-mail attachments back and forth as we mutually edit .wpd documents.

                      To help prevent other people from wasting time answering questions that you don't want an answer to, could you kindly tell us which of these two statements is correct:

                      1. You want to share documents with your friend, and you don't care whether or not the documents were created in WordPerfect, Word, or anything else. The only important thing is that you can share them between an old Mac and a Windows PC

                      OR

                      2. You want to share WordPerfect documents with your friend, and it's important to you that you can share WordPerfect documents - you aren't asking if there's a way to share some other kind of document.

                      Thanks. The answer to this question will save a lot of time-wasting.
                    • Steve Kane
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 24, 2009
                        On Jun 23, 2009, at 7:30 PM, cpgrabill wrote:

                        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson"
                        > <em315@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "cpgrabill" <cpgrabill@>
                        >> wrote:
                        >>>
                        >>> I have WordPerfect 7.0.2.45 installed on a Windows 2000 OS. My
                        >>> friend has an old Mac (version unknown) which we are thinking
                        >>> about installing WordPerfect for Mac 3.5e on.
                        >>> The goal is to e-mail as e-mail attachments back and forth as we
                        >>> mutually edit .wpd documents.
                        >>
                        >> This will work if and ONLY if your friend saves files from WP for
                        >> the Mac in a "WP for PC" format. Files saved in the default, native
                        >> format of WPMac 3.5e cannot be read by any version of WordPerfect
                        >> for Windows.
                        >>
                        >> Details here:
                        >>
                        >> http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html#openinothers
                        >>
                        > Thank you very much for your quick help to us. Your news was not
                        > what we wanted to hear, but the faster the truth is known the less
                        > damage may be done.
                        > Is there anything out there that can be used to share editing duties
                        > on multi-page reports (with graphics) between her old Mac and my
                        > Win2000 that is, furthermore, free or next to it??

                        Google Docs is free, designed for collaborative document creating,
                        sharing and editing over the internet. I don't know it's browser and
                        operating system requirements:

                        docs.google.com
                      • geoffrey mendelson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 24, 2009
                          On Jun 24, 2009, at 8:59 PM, Steve Kane wrote:

                          > Google Docs is free, designed for collaborative document creating,
                          > sharing and editing over the internet. I don't know it's browser and
                          > operating system requirements:

                          However you are sharing your document with Google, who can change the
                          terms of your using the service or cancel it completely.

                          I have no idea of what you are writing, but if an employee of mine
                          used Google Docs (or any outside online editing system), the next
                          document they would be working on would be their resume. I know this
                          sounds harsh, but I've lost a lot of money on ideas that were stolen
                          due to industrial espionage (or fraud, your choice) and someone
                          ignoring an NDA.

                          If you have to send documents via email, I suggest that you agree on a
                          modern word processor what will work for both of you and make sure
                          EVERY email and document is encrypted.

                          History is full of people who have been forgotten because someone else
                          published their work. For example, if you have any experience in
                          communications antennas, you've heard of a Yagi antenna. It was
                          invented in the 1930's Japan by a man named Uda, but since his
                          research assitant named Yagi published his research in English, every
                          knows that name.

                          Keeping this at all relevant, if you must use WordPerfect 3.5 (which
                          is still a decent word processor in its own right), it runs very
                          nicely under Basilisk II under Windows.

                          Geoff.
                          --
                          geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
                          Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 24, 2009
                            On Jun 24, 2009, at 8:54 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

                            > To help prevent other people from wasting time answering questions
                            > that you don't want an answer to, could you kindly tell us which of
                            > these two statements is correct:
                            >
                            > 1. You want to share documents with your friend, and you don't care
                            > whether or not the documents were created in WordPerfect, Word, or
                            > anything else. The only important thing is that you can share them
                            > between an old Mac and a Windows PC

                            1a. Exactly which old Mac it is, and what version of MacOS does it run?

                            1b. Where are you and where is the person with the Mac?

                            I'll gladly help out someone local, but someone 10,000 miles away
                            would be better served by someone else. :-)

                            Geoff.