Re: [wpmac] batch-converting WP files

  • grendelicious
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2009

      > Just one question - how complex are your 20 years
      > worth of files?

      Dead simple, for the most part. No embedded tables or graphics, e.g. No footnotes, headers, indices, math formulas, weird paginations or documents over 50 pages. The fanciest I ever got was a set of low-level text-formatting macros for screenplay formatting.

      (The macros' content were dictated to me, over the phone, line by patient line, by one of WordPerfect's original tech wizards, when they were still in Orem; I miss those days.)

      > NeoOffice is good for
      > straightforward fles but can lose some of the
      > more complex attributes of WP.

      May I take that to mean, then, that—in using the Get Info>Open With>Change All—I've accomplished the same basic task of file "conversion" for which John R's MetaMacro was originally intended, at least for the easier stuff?
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2009
        Subject to having to check formatting, but you
        should have lost no text/ graphics/ tables etc.
        Smokey Ardison is the expert on this.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 22, 2009

          > Subject to having to check formatting, but you
          > should have lost no text/ graphics/ tables etc.
          > Smokey Ardison is the expert on this.

          Yes, I saw him, loitering around the NeoOffice forum. Thanks, Geoff.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22, 2009
            MetaMacro and NeoOffice's open command do two different things. MetaMacro will run any installed macro on an entire folder of WP files, including e.g. a macro that will save all the files in Word 6 format whence you can open them in the current version of Word.

            By contrast, NeoOffice doesn't Save As, but opens WP files directly. The Get Info option automates that.

            If NeoOffice preserves enough data, such as formatting, there's no advantage to MetaMacro. If saving your files in Word (or possibly RTF) format works better, then MetaMacro is just one more step.

            John R.
          • John Sandel
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 22, 2009
              Thanks, John. That makes it clearer & confirms my suspicion. My file
              conversion needs were so minimal that I can just use NeoOffice as my
              converter.

              It's strange to leave WordPerfect behind after 20 years. I've never
              had a car or a house that long, but I've certainly spent as many hours
              working hand-in-hand with this venerable gaggle of code as I have in
              any house.

              But the world has moved on. Goodbye, WordPerfect! You were simple and
              reliable to the end.

              John Sandel