Re: [wpmac] Mac viruses

  • geoffrey mendelson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2009
      On Jun 16, 2009, at 9:04 AM, John Kaufmann wrote:

      > > ... If you want to see how it all started look up the history of
      > > "jew.com".
      >
      > Gosh, that seems obscure. I tried to look up the history of
      > "jew.com" in
      > every context that seemed relevant to this discussion, to no avail.
      > Could
      > you be a little more specific?

      Someone decided that the world would be a better place if they put
      together a website with a link to every antisemtic website in the world.
      They called it "jew.com".

      Google ranked it number one if you entered the word "jew" (or some
      variation of it).

      Jewish groups got upset, there was a big stink on the Internet.

      People suddenly realized that they could manipulate the order Google
      displays sites when you search. So SEO was born, and it has been a
      war ever since to keep manipulating Google (and other search engines),
      while the search engines keep trying to prevent it.

      What bothered me is that Google announced they would drop any web site
      if 50,000 people signed a pettition asking them to.

      Geoff.

      --
      geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
      Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 16, 2009
        Geoff,

        Thanks for the education. The bottom line appears to be that web site
        corruption, like Mac viruses, rely on weak owner/user security rather than
        attacking flaws in the software.

        John K.