Re: [wpmac] Mac viruses

  • geoffrey mendelson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
      On Jun 16, 2009, at 8:52 AM, John Kaufmann wrote:

      > But of course *that* is the question, isn't it? - how that happens?

      It's pretty easy to figure out the user name of the owner of the HTML
      files of a web site. Once you have done that, there are plenty of
      lists of passwords floating around the Internet. Probably 99% of the
      ones in use today are on those lists. Yes, people don't think that
      anyone would ever guess that their password is "spock".

      Look at Sarah Palin. Someone easily guessed her password on Yahoo
      email. They did it with a little more sophistication than a password
      list,
      they pretended to be her and got the lost password hint. 10 seconds on
      Wikipedia and they were in.

      I won't say what I use for passwords, but when it comes time for
      security questions, I usually answer something completely "out there",
      such as for "what is your high school" I answer "chocolate" and no, I
      did not go to Hershey High.

      BTW, have you ever gotten one of those "you have received an eCard"
      emails, where there is no indication of from whom? Most of them
      include a click here to see your eCard link which ends in .exe (a
      windows executable file). For the heck of it, I downloaded one and
      looked at it. It was an IRC client and a password guessing program,
      complete with a fairly good list of passwords to try.

      Geoff.

      --
      geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
      Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...