Fwd: [wpmac] Mac viruses

  • geoffrey mendelson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2009

      >> > The problem with that is that many sites on the web are infected
      >> with
      >> > links that you never see... inserted after the web pages were
      >> uploaded
      >> > to the server ...
      >>
      >> Could you expand a little on how that happens?
      >>

      > Usually it's done for SEO (search engine optiumization (I hope I
      > spelled that correctly). Search engines like google rank a page
      > based on how many links there are to it, and the higher the rank,
      > the closet to the top of the page you are listed.
      >
      > In most cases they are inserted by people who do SEO under contract
      > for these sites by "hacking" your account, sometimes they find them
      > in a list of usernames and passwords gleaned from your system by
      > viruses and worms. One case I know of, the person who was hacked
      > believed that the links were placed there by his web server company.

      Note that this is the third time I have tried to send this, the first
      time the electricty went out in our entire neighborhood, the second
      time my Mac crashed.

      If you want to see how it all started look up the history of "jew.com".

      Geoff.

      --
      geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
      Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...

    • John Kaufmann
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2009
        In a message dated 2009.06.15 14:11 -0500, geoffrey mendelson wrote:

        >>> Could you expand a little on how that happens?
        >>>
        >> Usually it's done for SEO (search engine optiumization (I hope I
        >> spelled that correctly). Search engines like google rank a page
        >> based on how many links there are to it, and the higher the rank,
        >> the closet to the top of the page you are listed.
        >>
        >> In most cases they are inserted by people who do SEO under contract
        >> for these sites by "hacking" your account, sometimes they find them
        >> in a list of usernames and passwords gleaned from your system by
        >> viruses and worms. One case I know of, the person who was hacked
        >> believed that the links were placed there by his web server company.

        But the links /on one's own site/ to pages elsewhere do not optimize the
        /referring/ site in a search, do they? Rather, they optimize/enhance the
        search value of the target sites.

        > ... If you want to see how it all started look up the history of
        > "jew.com".

        Gosh, that seems obscure. I tried to look up the history of "jew.com" in
        every context that seemed relevant to this discussion, to no avail. Could
        you be a little more specific?

        Thanks,
        John K.
      • geoffrey mendelson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 15, 2009
          On Jun 16, 2009, at 9:04 AM, John Kaufmann wrote:

          > > ... If you want to see how it all started look up the history of
          > > "jew.com".
          >
          > Gosh, that seems obscure. I tried to look up the history of
          > "jew.com" in
          > every context that seemed relevant to this discussion, to no avail.
          > Could
          > you be a little more specific?

          Someone decided that the world would be a better place if they put
          together a website with a link to every antisemtic website in the world.
          They called it "jew.com".

          Google ranked it number one if you entered the word "jew" (or some
          variation of it).

          Jewish groups got upset, there was a big stink on the Internet.

          People suddenly realized that they could manipulate the order Google
          displays sites when you search. So SEO was born, and it has been a
          war ever since to keep manipulating Google (and other search engines),
          while the search engines keep trying to prevent it.

          What bothered me is that Google announced they would drop any web site
          if 50,000 people signed a pettition asking them to.

          Geoff.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 16, 2009
            Geoff,

            Thanks for the education. The bottom line appears to be that web site
            corruption, like Mac viruses, rely on weak owner/user security rather than
            attacking flaws in the software.

            John K.