Re: [wpmac] Mac viruses

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2009
      Geoff,

      In a message dated 2009.06.13 15:03 -0500, geoffrey mendelson wrote:

      > The problem with that is that many sites on the web are infected with
      > links that you never see... inserted after the web pages were uploaded
      > to the server ...

      Could you expand a little on how that happens?

      John K.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

        > > The problem with that is that many sites on the web are infected with
        > > links that you never see... inserted after the web pages were uploaded
        > > to the server ...
        >
        > Could you expand a little on how that happens?

        Start here:

        http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10255226-83.html

        It doesn't tell how the stuff actually gets on the sites, but that's presumably done through malware that already got on to the host server through other means.
      • John Kaufmann
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
          In a message dated 2009.06.15 10:24 -0500, Edward Mendelson wrote:

          >>> The problem with that is that many sites on the web are infected with
          >>> links that you never see... inserted after the web pages were uploaded
          >>> to the server ...
          >>
          >> Could you expand a little on how that happens?
          >
          > Start here:
          >
          > http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10255226-83.html
          >
          > It doesn't tell how the stuff actually gets on the sites, but that's presumably done through malware that already got on to the host server through other means.

          But of course *that* is the question, isn't it? - how that happens?

          John K.
        • geoffrey mendelson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
            On Jun 16, 2009, at 8:52 AM, John Kaufmann wrote:

            > But of course *that* is the question, isn't it? - how that happens?

            It's pretty easy to figure out the user name of the owner of the HTML
            files of a web site. Once you have done that, there are plenty of
            lists of passwords floating around the Internet. Probably 99% of the
            ones in use today are on those lists. Yes, people don't think that
            anyone would ever guess that their password is "spock".

            Look at Sarah Palin. Someone easily guessed her password on Yahoo
            email. They did it with a little more sophistication than a password
            list,
            they pretended to be her and got the lost password hint. 10 seconds on
            Wikipedia and they were in.

            I won't say what I use for passwords, but when it comes time for
            security questions, I usually answer something completely "out there",
            such as for "what is your high school" I answer "chocolate" and no, I
            did not go to Hershey High.

            BTW, have you ever gotten one of those "you have received an eCard"
            emails, where there is no indication of from whom? Most of them
            include a click here to see your eCard link which ends in .exe (a
            windows executable file). For the heck of it, I downloaded one and
            looked at it. It was an IRC client and a password guessing program,
            complete with a fairly good list of passwords to try.

            Geoff.

            --
            geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
            Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...