Re: [wpmac] Mac viruses

  • geoffrey mendelson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2009
      On Jun 13, 2009, at 2:37 AM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
      > And Two anyone visiting Porn sites deserve anything they get.

      The problem with that is that many sites on the web are infected with
      links that you never see. When a friend died my wife looked her up and
      found an article on a community news site about her with an interview
      from the year 2000. It also had several links to those sites burried
      in the web page, which did not show up if you were just looking at it.

      They did show up in search engine reference counts, and if your
      broswer did any forward caching, files from them would be on your
      computer without you knowing about it.

      They were inserted after the web pages were uploaded to the server,
      and the owner of the site, and anyone who went there had no idea they
      were there. His server company told him it was his problem. As a
      kindness, I wrote a program to scan his entire site and locate the
      links. I found that about 15% of his pages were "infected".

      Some of them pointed to links on other web pages, where pages,
      pictures and video were hidden. One of them was for an enviornmental
      group, a few church groups, and they were scattered all over the globle.

      If I were to look at your computer, I would probably find hundreds if
      not thousands of files from those sites, depending upon how much web
      browsing you do, and how well you clean you caches.

      Geoff.

      --
      geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
      Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 13, 2009
        His point, though, was, according to the article, you have to go to a porn
        site, which tells you that you need an "Active-X plugin". That's the virus,
        the plugin. If you don't go to the website and try to install the plugin -
        you won't get the virus. Even if you visit a site that is linked to the
        porn site - you won't get it.

        I agree with the one who said anybody who uses a Mac *should* know that you
        can't use Active-X on Mac, (except under virtualized Windows).

        I also think it's insane to get worried about one virus on one site that
        requires an idiot decision by the Mac user to even work.

        Any operating system - let me repeat that - ANY operating system can be
        compromised if you fool the user into installing your software on their
        system as an administrator, (which is what you are doing whenever you type
        in your password to install software).

        - Chad Smith
        http://www.chadwsmith.com/

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 13, 2009
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

          > . . . requires an idiot decision by the Mac user to even work.

          These things happen . . . :-)

          John R.
        • John Kaufmann
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 13, 2009
            Geoff,

            In a message dated 2009.06.13 15:03 -0500, geoffrey mendelson wrote:

            > The problem with that is that many sites on the web are infected with
            > links that you never see... inserted after the web pages were uploaded
            > to the server ...

            Could you expand a little on how that happens?

            John K.
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

              > > The problem with that is that many sites on the web are infected with
              > > links that you never see... inserted after the web pages were uploaded
              > > to the server ...
              >
              > Could you expand a little on how that happens?

              Start here:

              http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10255226-83.html

              It doesn't tell how the stuff actually gets on the sites, but that's presumably done through malware that already got on to the host server through other means.
            • John Kaufmann
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
                In a message dated 2009.06.15 10:24 -0500, Edward Mendelson wrote:

                >>> The problem with that is that many sites on the web are infected with
                >>> links that you never see... inserted after the web pages were uploaded
                >>> to the server ...
                >>
                >> Could you expand a little on how that happens?
                >
                > Start here:
                >
                > http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10255226-83.html
                >
                > It doesn't tell how the stuff actually gets on the sites, but that's presumably done through malware that already got on to the host server through other means.

                But of course *that* is the question, isn't it? - how that happens?

                John K.
              • geoffrey mendelson
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
                  On Jun 16, 2009, at 8:52 AM, John Kaufmann wrote:

                  > But of course *that* is the question, isn't it? - how that happens?

                  It's pretty easy to figure out the user name of the owner of the HTML
                  files of a web site. Once you have done that, there are plenty of
                  lists of passwords floating around the Internet. Probably 99% of the
                  ones in use today are on those lists. Yes, people don't think that
                  anyone would ever guess that their password is "spock".

                  Look at Sarah Palin. Someone easily guessed her password on Yahoo
                  email. They did it with a little more sophistication than a password
                  list,
                  they pretended to be her and got the lost password hint. 10 seconds on
                  Wikipedia and they were in.

                  I won't say what I use for passwords, but when it comes time for
                  security questions, I usually answer something completely "out there",
                  such as for "what is your high school" I answer "chocolate" and no, I
                  did not go to Hershey High.

                  BTW, have you ever gotten one of those "you have received an eCard"
                  emails, where there is no indication of from whom? Most of them
                  include a click here to see your eCard link which ends in .exe (a
                  windows executable file). For the heck of it, I downloaded one and
                  looked at it. It was an IRC client and a password guessing program,
                  complete with a fairly good list of passwords to try.

                  Geoff.