WP Appliance D/L -- malware warning

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2009
      Ed,

      I went to download the latest WP Appliance installer today, and
      got an apparently Google-based warning about malware on the
      dl.getdropbox.com site. It seems to be elsewhere on the site:
      this just as info.

      The warning read as below.

      John R.

      Safe Browsing
      Diagnostic page for dl.getdropbox.com

      What is the current listing status for dl.getdropbox.com?
      This site is not currently listed as suspicious.

      Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

      What happened when Google visited this site?
      Of the 432 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 26 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2009-06-11, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2009-06-11.
      Malicious software includes 14 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 1 new process(es) on the target machine.

      Malicious software is hosted on 5 domain(s), including safetyscanguide.com/, trafway.com/, chura.pl/.

      1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including trafway.com/.

      This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS14618 (AMAZON).

      Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
      Over the past 90 days, dl.getdropbox.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

      Has this site hosted malware?
      Yes, this site has hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. It infected 1 domain(s), including blahetc.com/.

      Next steps:
      Return to the previous page.
      If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2009

        > Ed,
        >
        > I went to download the latest WP Appliance installer today, and
        > got an apparently Google-based warning about malware on the
        > dl.getdropbox.com site. It seems to be elsewhere on the site:
        > this just as info.

        Hmm... there are probably tens of thousands of users with software on
        dl.getdropbox.com, and it's more or less inevitable than one of them
        would host malware. If this continues, I'll see what I can do about
        finding another host. Thanks for the warning!