Help Features (was: Marking text in Outline mode)

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009

      > It took about 15 seconds to find it in the help file - you'll probably find
      > lots of good things there.

      You probably will, and Command-? accesses only one of the Help features
      available. QuickHelp is another application, written for WP OpenDoc but
      easily available if put in OtherMenu, is as extensive as Cmd-? and has a
      better search feature. QuickHelp is a free download in the Files section
      here.

      There's also the WordPerfect Guide, with a more step-by-step tutorial
      structure, and Balloon Help. These, along with Command-? files for
      program, macros and grammar, are in the Help Files archive in the
      Files section here.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
        This sounds like more an OS issue than an issue with SheepShaver, which
        is YA cocoa app. Two thoughts: I usually run Onyx, a nice free maintenance
        utility (link in the Links section here) both before and after an OS upgrade.
        It's surprising how much odd behavior the run fixes.

        You could also use EasyFind, also free, to find the SheepShaver prefs file,
        which is named

        .sheepshaver_prefs

        (note it begins with a period, making it invisible) and which is at the
        root level of your Home folder. Using EasyFind's File > Destroy command,
        erase the file and redo preferences.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
          Dear All

          On the Emaculation forum (as Edward had suggested), I asked the same
          question to see if there was any existing knowledge/ experience - the
          people there are just as helpful. Before reinstalling an OS and
          trashing prefs files, I always think it's a good idea to see if this
          is a common problem. It appears I was alone in the world on this one
          and while it was clearly an OS problem, it had to be related to
          sheepshaver because it only happened after using it (I don't use
          sheepshaver every day, so the behaviour could be readily associated).

          Yesterday, I reinstalled 10.5.7 from the Combo updater (always a good
          idea, even if you have diligently upgraded incrementally whenever it
          is suggested) and I ran Onyx - John is right on the usefulness of
          this programme. Can I also plug another bit of freeware for more
          dramatic cases, Applejack - you need to use the right version for
          your OS, but it works when you boot in Single User Mode and provides
          a lot more than /sbin/fsck -fy and it uses ordinary English.

          So far, the problem has disappeared, but I usually give these things
          a week to raise their ugly heads again.

          Thanks

          Geoff