Re: Shutdown issues

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 7, 2009

      > Anyone else having this experience. Since upgrading to 10.5.7, if I
      > use Sheepshaver, then while I can shut it down, I cannot subsequently
      > shut down or even restart OS X - all applications apparently quit,
      > the dock and menubar vanish, but I'm left with the desktop and the
      > grey lines spinning forever. It takes a cold shutdown (hold the power
      > button down until everything cuts out). It's only after I use
      > Sheepshaver and only since I upgraded to 10.5.7. I'm asking solely to
      > see if anyone else has had this experience.

      This doesn't happen on my systems, so it isn't a symptom of all 10.5.7
      setups. However, sometimes the updater from one 5.x version to the
      next 5.x version causes problems that aren't caused by the gigantic
      updater that installs updates at once. The place to ask about this is the
      forum where the members know more about SheepShaver than anywhere
      else:

      http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

      You're much more likely to get a useful answer there than in a
      WordPerfect forum.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009

        > It took about 15 seconds to find it in the help file - you'll probably find
        > lots of good things there.

        You probably will, and Command-? accesses only one of the Help features
        available. QuickHelp is another application, written for WP OpenDoc but
        easily available if put in OtherMenu, is as extensive as Cmd-? and has a
        better search feature. QuickHelp is a free download in the Files section
        here.

        There's also the WordPerfect Guide, with a more step-by-step tutorial
        structure, and Balloon Help. These, along with Command-? files for
        program, macros and grammar, are in the Help Files archive in the
        Files section here.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
          This sounds like more an OS issue than an issue with SheepShaver, which
          is YA cocoa app. Two thoughts: I usually run Onyx, a nice free maintenance
          utility (link in the Links section here) both before and after an OS upgrade.
          It's surprising how much odd behavior the run fixes.

          You could also use EasyFind, also free, to find the SheepShaver prefs file,
          which is named

          .sheepshaver_prefs

          (note it begins with a period, making it invisible) and which is at the
          root level of your Home folder. Using EasyFind's File > Destroy command,
          erase the file and redo preferences.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
            Dear All

            On the Emaculation forum (as Edward had suggested), I asked the same
            question to see if there was any existing knowledge/ experience - the
            people there are just as helpful. Before reinstalling an OS and
            trashing prefs files, I always think it's a good idea to see if this
            is a common problem. It appears I was alone in the world on this one
            and while it was clearly an OS problem, it had to be related to
            sheepshaver because it only happened after using it (I don't use
            sheepshaver every day, so the behaviour could be readily associated).

            Yesterday, I reinstalled 10.5.7 from the Combo updater (always a good
            idea, even if you have diligently upgraded incrementally whenever it
            is suggested) and I ran Onyx - John is right on the usefulness of
            this programme. Can I also plug another bit of freeware for more
            dramatic cases, Applejack - you need to use the right version for
            your OS, but it works when you boot in Single User Mode and provides
            a lot more than /sbin/fsck -fy and it uses ordinary English.

            So far, the problem has disappeared, but I usually give these things
            a week to raise their ugly heads again.

            Thanks

            Geoff