Re: Marking text in Outline mode

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4 5:50 AM
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

      > Thanks! I've been meaning to learn how to do that for years and have been too lazy.

      It took about 15 seconds to find it in the help file - you'll probably find lots of good things there.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6 11:58 PM
        Dear All

        Anyone else having this experience. Since upgrading to 10.5.7, if I
        use Sheepshaver, then while I can shut it down, I cannot subsequently
        shut down or even restart OS X - all applications apparently quit,
        the dock and menubar vanish, but I'm left with the desktop and the
        grey lines spinning forever. It takes a cold shutdown (hold the power
        button down until everything cuts out). It's only after I use
        Sheepshaver and only since I upgraded to 10.5.7. I'm asking solely to
        see if anyone else has had this experience.

        SheepShaver(H) UB 21-07-2008. Using symlinks to access files on the OS X disk.
        OS X 10.5.7, MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb memory.

        Thanks

        Geoff
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7 8:56 AM

          > Anyone else having this experience. Since upgrading to 10.5.7, if I
          > use Sheepshaver, then while I can shut it down, I cannot subsequently
          > shut down or even restart OS X - all applications apparently quit,
          > the dock and menubar vanish, but I'm left with the desktop and the
          > grey lines spinning forever. It takes a cold shutdown (hold the power
          > button down until everything cuts out). It's only after I use
          > Sheepshaver and only since I upgraded to 10.5.7. I'm asking solely to
          > see if anyone else has had this experience.

          This doesn't happen on my systems, so it isn't a symptom of all 10.5.7
          setups. However, sometimes the updater from one 5.x version to the
          next 5.x version causes problems that aren't caused by the gigantic
          updater that installs updates at once. The place to ask about this is the
          forum where the members know more about SheepShaver than anywhere
          else:

          http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

          You're much more likely to get a useful answer there than in a
          WordPerfect forum.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8 4:50 PM

            > It took about 15 seconds to find it in the help file - you'll probably find
            > lots of good things there.

            You probably will, and Command-? accesses only one of the Help features
            available. QuickHelp is another application, written for WP OpenDoc but
            easily available if put in OtherMenu, is as extensive as Cmd-? and has a
            better search feature. QuickHelp is a free download in the Files section
            here.

            There's also the WordPerfect Guide, with a more step-by-step tutorial
            structure, and Balloon Help. These, along with Command-? files for
            program, macros and grammar, are in the Help Files archive in the
            Files section here.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8 5:00 PM
              This sounds like more an OS issue than an issue with SheepShaver, which
              is YA cocoa app. Two thoughts: I usually run Onyx, a nice free maintenance
              utility (link in the Links section here) both before and after an OS upgrade.
              It's surprising how much odd behavior the run fixes.

              You could also use EasyFind, also free, to find the SheepShaver prefs file,
              which is named

              .sheepshaver_prefs

              (note it begins with a period, making it invisible) and which is at the
              root level of your Home folder. Using EasyFind's File > Destroy command,
              erase the file and redo preferences.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8 11:25 PM
                Dear All

                On the Emaculation forum (as Edward had suggested), I asked the same
                question to see if there was any existing knowledge/ experience - the
                people there are just as helpful. Before reinstalling an OS and
                trashing prefs files, I always think it's a good idea to see if this
                is a common problem. It appears I was alone in the world on this one
                and while it was clearly an OS problem, it had to be related to
                sheepshaver because it only happened after using it (I don't use
                sheepshaver every day, so the behaviour could be readily associated).

                Yesterday, I reinstalled 10.5.7 from the Combo updater (always a good
                idea, even if you have diligently upgraded incrementally whenever it
                is suggested) and I ran Onyx - John is right on the usefulness of
                this programme. Can I also plug another bit of freeware for more
                dramatic cases, Applejack - you need to use the right version for
                your OS, but it works when you boot in Single User Mode and provides
                a lot more than /sbin/fsck -fy and it uses ordinary English.

                So far, the problem has disappeared, but I usually give these things
                a week to raise their ugly heads again.

                Thanks

                Geoff