Re: Marking text in Outline mode

  • jeraldbricker
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009
      Thanks! I've been meaning to learn how to do that for years and have been too lazy. Its amazing how many features WP has and how the program can do pretty much what you want. How many wordprocessing programs can make that claim today let alone more than a decade ago?

      JB
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

        > Thanks! I've been meaning to learn how to do that for years and have been too lazy.

        It took about 15 seconds to find it in the help file - you'll probably find lots of good things there.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
          Dear All

          Anyone else having this experience. Since upgrading to 10.5.7, if I
          use Sheepshaver, then while I can shut it down, I cannot subsequently
          shut down or even restart OS X - all applications apparently quit,
          the dock and menubar vanish, but I'm left with the desktop and the
          grey lines spinning forever. It takes a cold shutdown (hold the power
          button down until everything cuts out). It's only after I use
          Sheepshaver and only since I upgraded to 10.5.7. I'm asking solely to
          see if anyone else has had this experience.

          SheepShaver(H) UB 21-07-2008. Using symlinks to access files on the OS X disk.
          OS X 10.5.7, MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb memory.

          Thanks

          Geoff
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7, 2009

            > Anyone else having this experience. Since upgrading to 10.5.7, if I
            > use Sheepshaver, then while I can shut it down, I cannot subsequently
            > shut down or even restart OS X - all applications apparently quit,
            > the dock and menubar vanish, but I'm left with the desktop and the
            > grey lines spinning forever. It takes a cold shutdown (hold the power
            > button down until everything cuts out). It's only after I use
            > Sheepshaver and only since I upgraded to 10.5.7. I'm asking solely to
            > see if anyone else has had this experience.

            This doesn't happen on my systems, so it isn't a symptom of all 10.5.7
            setups. However, sometimes the updater from one 5.x version to the
            next 5.x version causes problems that aren't caused by the gigantic
            updater that installs updates at once. The place to ask about this is the
            forum where the members know more about SheepShaver than anywhere
            else:

            http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

            You're much more likely to get a useful answer there than in a
            WordPerfect forum.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009

              > It took about 15 seconds to find it in the help file - you'll probably find
              > lots of good things there.

              You probably will, and Command-? accesses only one of the Help features
              available. QuickHelp is another application, written for WP OpenDoc but
              easily available if put in OtherMenu, is as extensive as Cmd-? and has a
              better search feature. QuickHelp is a free download in the Files section
              here.

              There's also the WordPerfect Guide, with a more step-by-step tutorial
              structure, and Balloon Help. These, along with Command-? files for
              program, macros and grammar, are in the Help Files archive in the
              Files section here.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
                This sounds like more an OS issue than an issue with SheepShaver, which
                is YA cocoa app. Two thoughts: I usually run Onyx, a nice free maintenance
                utility (link in the Links section here) both before and after an OS upgrade.
                It's surprising how much odd behavior the run fixes.

                You could also use EasyFind, also free, to find the SheepShaver prefs file,
                which is named

                .sheepshaver_prefs

                (note it begins with a period, making it invisible) and which is at the
                root level of your Home folder. Using EasyFind's File > Destroy command,
                erase the file and redo preferences.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
                  Dear All

                  On the Emaculation forum (as Edward had suggested), I asked the same
                  question to see if there was any existing knowledge/ experience - the
                  people there are just as helpful. Before reinstalling an OS and
                  trashing prefs files, I always think it's a good idea to see if this
                  is a common problem. It appears I was alone in the world on this one
                  and while it was clearly an OS problem, it had to be related to
                  sheepshaver because it only happened after using it (I don't use
                  sheepshaver every day, so the behaviour could be readily associated).

                  Yesterday, I reinstalled 10.5.7 from the Combo updater (always a good
                  idea, even if you have diligently upgraded incrementally whenever it
                  is suggested) and I ran Onyx - John is right on the usefulness of
                  this programme. Can I also plug another bit of freeware for more
                  dramatic cases, Applejack - you need to use the right version for
                  your OS, but it works when you boot in Single User Mode and provides
                  a lot more than /sbin/fsck -fy and it uses ordinary English.

                  So far, the problem has disappeared, but I usually give these things
                  a week to raise their ugly heads again.

                  Thanks

                  Geoff