Re: Marking text in Outline mode

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm generating a list of directions using the Outline feature in WP where I refer to a later step in the protocol by saying "see Step #X below." I'd like to mark the #X so that it inserts the step number correctly in the text. That way if I add new steps to the directions all the links/step numbers are updated automatically. Is there a way to do this or do I need to go back and edit the document myself when I make changes?

      Search the WP help file (Cmd-?) for "cross-references" and follow the instructions there. The trick to making this work is that you mark the cross-reference as pointing to a "paragraph". You have to click Generate on the Lists toolbar to update the reference numbers after inserting new steps in the outline.
    • jeraldbricker
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009
        Thanks! I've been meaning to learn how to do that for years and have been too lazy. Its amazing how many features WP has and how the program can do pretty much what you want. How many wordprocessing programs can make that claim today let alone more than a decade ago?

        JB
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

          > Thanks! I've been meaning to learn how to do that for years and have been too lazy.

          It took about 15 seconds to find it in the help file - you'll probably find lots of good things there.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
            Dear All

            Anyone else having this experience. Since upgrading to 10.5.7, if I
            use Sheepshaver, then while I can shut it down, I cannot subsequently
            shut down or even restart OS X - all applications apparently quit,
            the dock and menubar vanish, but I'm left with the desktop and the
            grey lines spinning forever. It takes a cold shutdown (hold the power
            button down until everything cuts out). It's only after I use
            Sheepshaver and only since I upgraded to 10.5.7. I'm asking solely to
            see if anyone else has had this experience.

            SheepShaver(H) UB 21-07-2008. Using symlinks to access files on the OS X disk.
            OS X 10.5.7, MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb memory.

            Thanks

            Geoff
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 7, 2009

              > Anyone else having this experience. Since upgrading to 10.5.7, if I
              > use Sheepshaver, then while I can shut it down, I cannot subsequently
              > shut down or even restart OS X - all applications apparently quit,
              > the dock and menubar vanish, but I'm left with the desktop and the
              > grey lines spinning forever. It takes a cold shutdown (hold the power
              > button down until everything cuts out). It's only after I use
              > Sheepshaver and only since I upgraded to 10.5.7. I'm asking solely to
              > see if anyone else has had this experience.

              This doesn't happen on my systems, so it isn't a symptom of all 10.5.7
              setups. However, sometimes the updater from one 5.x version to the
              next 5.x version causes problems that aren't caused by the gigantic
              updater that installs updates at once. The place to ask about this is the
              forum where the members know more about SheepShaver than anywhere
              else:

              http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

              You're much more likely to get a useful answer there than in a
              WordPerfect forum.
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009

                > It took about 15 seconds to find it in the help file - you'll probably find
                > lots of good things there.

                You probably will, and Command-? accesses only one of the Help features
                available. QuickHelp is another application, written for WP OpenDoc but
                easily available if put in OtherMenu, is as extensive as Cmd-? and has a
                better search feature. QuickHelp is a free download in the Files section
                here.

                There's also the WordPerfect Guide, with a more step-by-step tutorial
                structure, and Balloon Help. These, along with Command-? files for
                program, macros and grammar, are in the Help Files archive in the
                Files section here.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
                  This sounds like more an OS issue than an issue with SheepShaver, which
                  is YA cocoa app. Two thoughts: I usually run Onyx, a nice free maintenance
                  utility (link in the Links section here) both before and after an OS upgrade.
                  It's surprising how much odd behavior the run fixes.

                  You could also use EasyFind, also free, to find the SheepShaver prefs file,
                  which is named

                  .sheepshaver_prefs

                  (note it begins with a period, making it invisible) and which is at the
                  root level of your Home folder. Using EasyFind's File > Destroy command,
                  erase the file and redo preferences.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
                    Dear All

                    On the Emaculation forum (as Edward had suggested), I asked the same
                    question to see if there was any existing knowledge/ experience - the
                    people there are just as helpful. Before reinstalling an OS and
                    trashing prefs files, I always think it's a good idea to see if this
                    is a common problem. It appears I was alone in the world on this one
                    and while it was clearly an OS problem, it had to be related to
                    sheepshaver because it only happened after using it (I don't use
                    sheepshaver every day, so the behaviour could be readily associated).

                    Yesterday, I reinstalled 10.5.7 from the Combo updater (always a good
                    idea, even if you have diligently upgraded incrementally whenever it
                    is suggested) and I ran Onyx - John is right on the usefulness of
                    this programme. Can I also plug another bit of freeware for more
                    dramatic cases, Applejack - you need to use the right version for
                    your OS, but it works when you boot in Single User Mode and provides
                    a lot more than /sbin/fsck -fy and it uses ordinary English.

                    So far, the problem has disappeared, but I usually give these things
                    a week to raise their ugly heads again.

                    Thanks

                    Geoff