G3 to G4

  • luskin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2009
      My son is giving me his G4, and so I am migrating from 9.1 to Tiger. He
      has installed classic on the machine, so that I can run WordPerfect on it. I
      would like to move all my WordPerfect files from the G3 to the G4, and I
      wonder if I can do that, or if I have to go through all the installation
      process. I have no idea how I got from 3.5 to the latest version. I would prefer
      to move everything if at all possible.

      Please tell me that this is OK...

      Michael B. Luskin</HTML>
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, luskin@... wrote:

        > My son is giving me his G4, and so I am migrating from 9.1 to Tiger. He
        > has installed classic on the machine, so that I can run WordPerfect on it. I
        > would like to move all my WordPerfect files from the G3 to the G4, and I
        > wonder if I can do that, or if I have to go through all the installation
        > process. I have no idea how I got from 3.5 to the latest version. I would prefer
        > to move everything if at all possible.

        It can't hurt to try, but you'll probably need to reinstall. There are instructions
        and links to installers here somewhere, and also here:

        http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html
      • James Marrow
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2009
          ... a man after my own economical heart.

          The G4 has to have Classic which you have. You should fresh install
          WP 3.5e on the G4. Its available online freeware at

          http://main.system7today.com/software/wordperfect/wordperfect.html

          Then just drag/copy a folder with all your WP documents from your old
          G3 hard drive to the G4 hard drive.

          I have been running running WP 3.5e in Classic mode on a 450 G3 using
          10.4 Tiger for several years. I started using Classic when I updated
          to G3s and G4s using 10.2 from 7200/90s using 9.2.2 and a 6150 server
          using 7.5.1, and I have continued through 10.3 Panther and now use
          10.4 Tiger.

          No problems unless/until you try to upgrade to 10.5 Leopard which
          cannot run Classic, or try to use a newer Mac computer with an Intel
          chip which cannot run Classic even when its using 10.4 Tiger. Those
          problems are the focus of the Sheepshaver group.

          James Marrow
          jcmarrow@...

          On May 27, 2009, at 11:15 PM, luskin@... wrote:

          My son is giving me his G4, and so I am migrating from 9.1 to Tiger. He
          has installed classic on the machine, so that I can run WordPerfect
          on it. I
          would like to move all my WordPerfect files from the G3 to the G4, and I
          wonder if I can do that, or if I have to go through all the installation
          process. I have no idea how I got from 3.5 to the latest version. I
          would prefer
          to move everything if at all possible.

          Please tell me that this is OK...

          Michael B. Luskin</HTML>

        • Bob Stern
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2009
            >James Marrow wrote:
            >
            >The G4 has to have Classic which you have. You should fresh install
            >WP 3.5e on the G4.

            There's no reason to reinstall WP. Simply copy two folders, both of
            which are called WordPerfect:

            1. Copy the WordPerfect folder from the OS 9 Preferences folder of
            the G3 to the OS 9 Preferences folder of the G4. (This folder
            contains your Library file and your Preferences file.)

            2. Copy the folder that contains the WordPerfect application (mine
            is called "WordPerfect folder") from the G3 to the G4. It doesn't
            matter where you put it. A good place might be a folder called OS 9
            Applications or Classic Applications.
            --

            Bob Stern
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2009

              > >James Marrow wrote:

              > 1. Copy the WordPerfect folder from the OS 9 Preferences folder of
              > the G3 to the OS 9 Preferences folder of the G4. (This folder
              > contains your Library file and your Preferences file.)
              >
              > 2. Copy the folder that contains the WordPerfect application (mine
              > is called "WordPerfect folder") from the G3 to the G4. It doesn't
              > matter where you put it. A good place might be a folder called OS 9
              > Applications or Classic Applications.
              > --

              Also the WP ... fonts in the Fonts folder.
            • Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 6 , May 28, 2009
                >Edward Mendelson wrote:
                >
                >Also the WP ... fonts in the Fonts folder.

                Those are optional, but certainly they should be moved if you use
                them in your documents.
                --

                Bob Stern