Re: Any Advice for Porting WordPerfect 10 Documents to a Mac?

  • twinc_19711
    Message 1 of 24 , May 23, 2009
      The only way you can completely be sure you preserve these files is to
      stay in WordPerfect in a Windows environment. Even if you were in
      WordPerfect and converted the file to Word, so it could be read in Word
      in PC or on a Mac, all of the original WordPerfect formatting may not
      remain. I have used this approach many times and the more complicated
      the formatting, the less likely the file will completely be the same.
      So unless you can stay with WordPerfect, you will have to edit and
      reformat the file.I was along time WordPerfect user, and when I switched
      to Mac in 2007 I first used parallels and WordPerfect on the Windows
      side. When I went to my second Mac I decided to let go of Parallels (I
      was never a fan) and now I use MacLinkPlus Delux to convert the
      WordPerfect files to Word so I can use them on the Mac. It works very
      well, but cannot preserve the more complicated formating. For example,
      WordPerfect allows you to separate the page into several subpages - very
      nice for brochures and conference flyers. The conversion cannot
      preserve that.In my experience, you can get most of the content, but you
      will have to work with the new file to make it the same.
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "dee.rrxing" <dee.rrxing@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm working into a dead end with this problem, as far as I can see.
      >
      > My boss at work stores all of his invoices in a WordPerfect 10
      document (.wpd) format, on a Dell Laptop using Windows XP. These
      invoices contain images, tables, and text.

      > He recently purchased a new MacBook, using OS X 10.5.7, and asked me
      if I could move all of his invoices over.

      > How might I go about doing this, with no loss of format?
      >
      > So far, I have tried Open Office, NeoOffice, and Nisus Writer Pro in
      terms of OS X word processors. Each of these can open the documents, but
      they do not display the images in the file nor do they preserve the
      special table formatting, where a "Total" column is automatically
      calculated by an "Amount" and "Price" columns (The Total column will not
      update when the latter two are changed.).

      > I tried WordPerfect 3.5e, but that's a little outdated, which I didn't
      realize.

      > I also tried using Wine (CrossOver), but upon trying to install
      WordPerfect 10 (Which is not a supported product), the install reports
      that I do not have administrative privileges and closes. I also tried
      installing a free trial of the latest WordPerfect office, but the
      installation hangs.

      > Unfortunately, Boot Camp is not an option, because the only Windows XP
      disk that my boss has is the one supplied with his Dell laptop. I've
      read that those reinstallation disks will not work for Boot Camp.
      Additionally, my boss is not well-versed with computers, and I do not
      want him to need to deal with restarting to switch between OSs so often.

      > What other options might I have?
      >
      > Thank you very much for your help.

    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 24 , May 23, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Ilvento, Tom" <ilvento@...> wrote:

        > I have used MacLink Plus Delux (not free) and have had good luck transferring Wordperfect files into Word. I cannot guarantee perfect format, but it does do a good job.

        But the original poster made it absolutely clear that it was crucial to
        preserve the "live" table math in WP documents - the spreadsheet-
        like feature that automatically updates a sum when you change a
        value in another cell.

        Absolutely NO software - NONE - can convert this feature from
        WPWin into another format. Not Word, not Acrobat, not OpenOffice.org,
        not MacLink Plus, not WP for the Mac, not anything at all except
        WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS.

        So, in answer to the original poster, the ONLY solution is to use
        WordPerfect for Windows for these files, which can be done fairly
        easily (with the ability to print them) using VMware Fusion on a
        Mac. (Also Parallels, but Parallels is slower and flakier and there's
        no reason to use it instead of Fusion. VirtualBox can't print without
        elaborate setting-up, so it's not an alternative that's worth
        pursuing.)
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 24 , May 23, 2009
          On May 23, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

          > So, in answer to the original poster, the ONLY solution is to use
          > WordPerfect for Windows for these files, which can be done fairly
          > easily (with the ability to print them) using VMware Fusion on a
          > Mac. (Also Parallels, but Parallels is slower and flakier and there's
          > no reason to use it instead of Fusion.

          Fusion vs. Parallels Benchmarks
          http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/
          index.html
          Conclusion: "In the majority of overall averages of our tests,
          Parallels Desktop is the clear winner running 14-20% faster than
          VMware Fusion. "
          Macworld magazine published an online article comparing the various
          virtualization options:
          http://www.macworld.com/article/137305/2008/12/choosevm.html?lsrc=top_1

          or

          http://ruhao.notlong.com

          Randy B. Singer

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • Michael Mulhern
          Message 4 of 24 , May 23, 2009
            Yes Randy, I was going to Cite the same results. As a side note,
            current Fusion is faster than v3 Parallels, but v4 Parallels is faster
            than both.

            Michael.

            On 24/05/2009, at 1:23 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

            > On May 23, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
            >
            > > So, in answer to the original poster, the ONLY solution is to use
            > > WordPerfect for Windows for these files, which can be done fairly
            > > easily (with the ability to print them) using VMware Fusion on a
            > > Mac. (Also Parallels, but Parallels is slower and flakier and
            > there's
            > > no reason to use it instead of Fusion.
            >
            > Fusion vs. Parallels Benchmarks
            > http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/
            > index.html
            > Conclusion: "In the majority of overall averages of our tests,
            > Parallels Desktop is the clear winner running 14-20% faster than
            > VMware Fusion. "
            > Macworld magazine published an online article comparing the various
            > virtualization options:
            > http://www.macworld.com/article/137305/2008/12/choosevm.html?
            > lsrc=top_1
            >
            > or
            >
            > http://ruhao.notlong.com

            > Randy B. Singer
            > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
            >
            > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
            > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
          • dee.rrxing
            Message 5 of 24 , May 23, 2009
              Wow; thank you guys very much for your responses! You've been a great help.

              Once I get access to his computers again, I'll try the trials for VMware Fusion and Parallels. If I get either of them to work, then I'm sure that my boss will pay for a license.

              It would not have been crucial to be able to edit old invoices, but he does still make new ones, and the easiest way is to use a template file with said formatting already complete and Save As a new invoice. A brief look, and I don't think any of the programs I have tried make the table math nearly as simply as WordPerfect.

              I was hoping to make due with free programs, but that's alright.
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

                > Fusion vs. Parallels Benchmarks
                > http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/
                > index.html
                > Conclusion: "In the majority of overall averages of our tests,
                > Parallels Desktop is the clear winner running 14-20% faster than
                > VMware Fusion. "

                Interesting. I hadn't done any serious testing since Parallels Version 3.

                It turns out that both VMware and Parallels are more or less similar in timings
                (more about this below). But timings aren't everything. With VMware, WPWin
                could print perfectly to my printer. Parallels' printing was a total mess - the
                Mac OS "Printer Proxy" window displayed error messages on each print job,
                and I had to press the "Go" button on my printer to get the Parallels output
                printed. And the Parallels printing output typically had the wrong fonts.
                VMware worked perfectly, in contrast.

                However, if you don't care about printing, only about timings, then the
                two programs are more or less equal. I did this test:

                I set up two identical XP machines (same RAM, same disk size, same
                configuration, each with respective tools) in Parallels and VMware,
                on a 2.4GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM. Install WPWin on each; launch
                WPWin in Unity/Coherence mode, and suspend the virtual machine
                and shut down Parallels and VMware.

                I then opened a 500KB WPWin file from the Mac desktop in each system,
                and timed the delay before the file opened in the WPWin window and was
                editable. The times varied a bit, but averaged 11 or 12 seconds for each.
                VMware had the fastest time (9 seconds), Parallels the slowest (18 seconds),
                but the average was about the same.

                I also timed a huge search/replace operation in both systems. Again the
                times varied, but averaged about 2-3 seconds in each.

                So, yes, Parallels is close enough in speed to VMware. The big difference
                is that VMware prints correctly, and Parallels doesn't. Take your pick.
              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 24 , May 24, 2009

                  > It turns out that both VMware and Parallels are more or less similar in timings
                  > (more about this below). But timings aren't everything. With VMware, WPWin
                  > could print perfectly to my printer. Parallels' printing was a total mess - the
                  > Mac OS "Printer Proxy" window displayed error messages on each print job,
                  > and I had to press the "Go" button on my printer to get the Parallels output
                  > printed. And the Parallels printing output typically had the wrong fonts.
                  > VMware worked perfectly, in contrast.

                  It turns out there's a workaround for this if you search hard enough on
                  the Parallels forums - it involves installing an Apple LaserWriter driver
                  in XP. But it's preferable not to need a workaround at all, presumably.
                • David Derbes
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                    About a year ago, when I finally replaced my much-customized
                    Blue and White with a new Mac Pro, I did a little research on
                    Parallels vs Fusion. One report, maybe at Ars Technica, indicated
                    that while Parallels was a little more user-friendly, Fusion
                    stressed the hardware much less. That was good enough for me.
                    (The comparison was, IIRC, between Fusion v.1 and Parallels v.2,
                    but I can't be sure.)

                    I don't think I've fired up Windows XP on this machine more than a
                    half-dozen times, but Fusion hasn't had any problems at all.

                    Good luck with your choice.

                    David Derbes
                    U of Chicago Laboratory Schools

                  • Chad Russell
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                      > Yes Randy, I was going to Cite the same results. As a side note,
                      > current Fusion is faster than v3 Parallels, but v4 Parallels is faster
                      > than both.

                      The problem is that although Parallels 4 is faster than VMWare Fusion 2, it is still much "flakier" -- for example, the upgrader from Parallels 3 to 4 was so badly-written and poorly-tested that it managed to utterly destroy all my virtual machines (even those on a backup server that I had accidentally left mounted), requiring me to manually downgrade and restore all my PC files from offline backup.

                      I then switched to VMWare Fusion 2 and imported the restored machines into it without a hitch.

                      VMWare appears to have a superior beta-testing process, and -- in my experience -- produces a much more reliable product; perhaps this is the reason Fusion is slower than Parallels and has a somewhat smaller feature set. I finally got Parallels 4 running, and it is a faster, slicker product -- but I will never trust it again, and am going to stick with VMWare Fusion 2 for the foreseeable future.
                    • J Busch
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                        You can also install Sun's Virtualbox for free, minus the windows license. It has worked well with my WinXP with WP x4 setup. It seems to be as fast as the Fusion and Parallels demos. WP 12 also worked as a previous setup. Parallels coherance mode works a little better and my Sony eBook reader won't work with Virtualbox.

                        Jonathan

                        Sent from my iPod

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                          You can map your Mac Documents folder to a shared drive in XP with Fusion, Parallels or Virtualbox. Then change your XP My Documents folder to this shared drive and your docs folder will be accessable and identicle from any program.

                          Jonathan

                          Sent from my iPod

                          On May 23, 2009, at 15:57, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...> wrote:

                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "dee.rrxing" <dee.rrxing@...> wrote:

                          > My boss at work stores all of his invoices in a WordPerfect 10 document (.wpd) format, on a Dell Laptop using Windows XP. These invoices contain images, tables, and text.
                          >
                          > He recently purchased a new MacBook, using OS X 10.5.7, and asked me if I could move all of his invoices over.
                          >
                          > How might I go about doing this, with no loss of format?

                          Unfortunately, the ONLY sensible way to do this is to buy a copy of XP (on eBay, probably) and to buy a copy of VMware Fusion, which runs XP in a window on the Mac. Then install XP in Fusion (takes some time), and then install WordPerfect in the XP installed in Fusion. If you turn on "Shared Folders" and "Unity mode" in Fusion, your boss will be able to run WP in a window, just as if it were a Mac application, and he'll be able to keep his invoices in his Documents folder (it will be inside Drive Z: in Windows) and also print them to whatever printer he uses with his Mac. Once you set this up, it's seamless and foolproof. I use this exact setup, and I guarantee that it actually works.

                          If someone offers you a different solution, make sure to ask if they have ever actually used the setup they suggest, or if they merely think it ought to work, or if someone told them that it might work, or if they read somewhere that it could possibly work. The method outlined here actually does work, and I actually do use it.

                        • J Busch
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                            Crossover office has worked well for me with simpler XP programs such as a notepad editor. WP was difficult to install, printing did not work, and had several other usability issues.

                            You will also have difficulty with the XP reinstall disk on Parallels, Fusion or Virtualbox.

                            Jonathan

                            Sent from my iPod

                            I'm working into a dead end with this problem, as far as I can see. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 25, 2009
                              On May 24, 2009, at 9:41 PM, Chad Russell wrote:

                              > The problem is that although Parallels 4 is faster than VMWare
                              > Fusion 2, it is still much "flakier"

                              I've never tried Fusion. I run Parallels along with Vista Home
                              Premium, and it works perfectly. Not flaky at all, excellent speed,
                              and no problems with printing or anything else.

                              However, the installation instructions for Parallels left a lot to be
                              desired, and technical support was just this side of "horrid."

                              So, if Fusion can be installed easily, and if it has decent technical
                              support, it might be worth foregoing the speed advantage that
                              Parallels enjoys.

                              It might be worth the trouble to try the free demos that both offer
                              before making a choice.

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 25, 2009
                                Such is the world of technology. My upgrade from Parallels v3 to v4
                                went so smoothly - no problems and the resulting W2K system felt even
                                better than before.

                                To each their own.

                                Regards,

                                Michael

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 25, 2009
                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

                                  > I've never tried Fusion. I run Parallels along with Vista Home
                                  > Premium, and it works perfectly. Not flaky at all, excellent speed,
                                  > and no problems with printing or anything else.

                                  Another advantage of Fusion is that it lets you choose your actual
                                  printer from the Windows Print dialog. If you have a Deskjet and
                                  a LaserJet, then you can choose the Deskjet or the LaserJet from
                                  the list of printers in the Windows Print dialog.

                                  With Parallels, the Windows dialog always tells you that you're
                                  printing to an HP Color LaserJet or an Apple LaserWriter, which
                                  tends to be confusing if you don't actually have either printer.
                                  If you want to switch between two printers that you actually have,
                                  you need to go to the Configure dialog and then the Parallel Port,
                                  which isn't exactly intuitive. The whole printing system is a mess.

                                  In the real world, the speed difference between the two isn't
                                  noticeable - I have fully licensed copies of both. Both of them
                                  work, but Fusion works better than Parallels, and its printing
                                  system is vastly superior. Obviously, there's no reason to switch
                                  away from Parallels for anyone who paid for it, and for whom it
                                  continues to work. But for anyone starting out, there's no reason
                                  to prefer Parallels, and plenty of reasons to avoid it.
                                • Kipperman@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 25, 2009
                                    does MacLinkPlus work?

                                  • J Busch
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 25, 2009
                                      I have lost three virtual machines under Fusion 2 (~Jan Build), two virtual machines with virtualbox and one with parallels 3.0. I had backups to recover from, but in my experience I trust Fusion less than Parallels. They each have issues from time to time. Try the demos out and choose what works for you.

                                      Jonathan
                                      Sent from my iPod

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 26, 2009
                                        On May 25, 2009, at 7:40 AM, Kipperman@... wrote:

                                        > does MacLinkPlus work?

                                        Yes. But not nearly as well as you might hope. If has problems with
                                        advanced formatting.

                                        It would be nice if it was the supreme solution to file translation
                                        problems, but it isn't.