Re:Any Advice for Porting WordPerfect 10 Documents to a Mac?

  • Ross Porter
    Message 1 of 24 , May 23, 2009
      Two things you might try, but probably won't help much. Complicated
      formatting in Word is deliberately difficult to get just right, and MS
      doesn't publish documentation on the .DOC format:

      1. Pick a document or three and let WP10 try the conversion on the
      Dell. Save both as Word .DOC files and as .RTF files, just to test all
      the alternatives.

      2. As a last resort, go the Mac and download a trial of Pages. Try to
      import your various documents there.

      As a last resort, you can always convert the WPD documents to PDF
      format. The user will lose most editing capability, but certainly has
      available what he sent.

      Good luck!

      Ross
      Ross Porter
      Porter & Palagi
      Avenue des Magnolias 1
      B-1301 Bièrges
      BELGIUM
      Tel +32 10 400 249 or +32 475 72 10 90
      Fax: +32 10 402 053
      Ross.Porter@...

    • Ilvento, Tom
      Message 2 of 24 , May 23, 2009
        I have used MacLink Plus Delux (not free) and have had good luck transferring Wordperfect files into Word. I cannot guarantee perfect format, but it does do a good job.

        twi

        Thomas W Ilvento
        Professor and Chair
        Department of Food and Resource Economics
        University of Delaware
        213 Townsend Hall
        Newark, DE 19717
        Voice: 302-831-6773 Fax: 302-831-6243 cell: 3023880971
        ilvento@...

        Message 3 of 24 , May 23, 2009
          The only way you can completely be sure you preserve these files is to
          stay in WordPerfect in a Windows environment. Even if you were in
          WordPerfect and converted the file to Word, so it could be read in Word
          in PC or on a Mac, all of the original WordPerfect formatting may not
          remain. I have used this approach many times and the more complicated
          the formatting, the less likely the file will completely be the same.
          So unless you can stay with WordPerfect, you will have to edit and
          reformat the file.I was along time WordPerfect user, and when I switched
          to Mac in 2007 I first used parallels and WordPerfect on the Windows
          side. When I went to my second Mac I decided to let go of Parallels (I
          was never a fan) and now I use MacLinkPlus Delux to convert the
          WordPerfect files to Word so I can use them on the Mac. It works very
          well, but cannot preserve the more complicated formating. For example,
          WordPerfect allows you to separate the page into several subpages - very
          nice for brochures and conference flyers. The conversion cannot
          preserve that.In my experience, you can get most of the content, but you
          will have to work with the new file to make it the same.
          wrote:

          > I'm working into a dead end with this problem, as far as I can see.
          >
          > My boss at work stores all of his invoices in a WordPerfect 10
          document (.wpd) format, on a Dell Laptop using Windows XP. These
          invoices contain images, tables, and text.

          > He recently purchased a new MacBook, using OS X 10.5.7, and asked me
          if I could move all of his invoices over.

          > How might I go about doing this, with no loss of format?
          >
          > So far, I have tried Open Office, NeoOffice, and Nisus Writer Pro in
          terms of OS X word processors. Each of these can open the documents, but
          they do not display the images in the file nor do they preserve the
          special table formatting, where a "Total" column is automatically
          calculated by an "Amount" and "Price" columns (The Total column will not
          update when the latter two are changed.).

          > I tried WordPerfect 3.5e, but that's a little outdated, which I didn't
          realize.

          > I also tried using Wine (CrossOver), but upon trying to install
          WordPerfect 10 (Which is not a supported product), the install reports
          that I do not have administrative privileges and closes. I also tried
          installing a free trial of the latest WordPerfect office, but the
          installation hangs.

          > Unfortunately, Boot Camp is not an option, because the only Windows XP
          disk that my boss has is the one supplied with his Dell laptop. I've
          read that those reinstallation disks will not work for Boot Camp.
          Additionally, my boss is not well-versed with computers, and I do not
          want him to need to deal with restarting to switch between OSs so often.

          > What other options might I have?
          >
          > Thank you very much for your help.

        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 24 , May 23, 2009
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Ilvento, Tom" <ilvento@...> wrote:

            > I have used MacLink Plus Delux (not free) and have had good luck transferring Wordperfect files into Word. I cannot guarantee perfect format, but it does do a good job.

            But the original poster made it absolutely clear that it was crucial to
            preserve the "live" table math in WP documents - the spreadsheet-
            like feature that automatically updates a sum when you change a
            value in another cell.

            Absolutely NO software - NONE - can convert this feature from
            WPWin into another format. Not Word, not Acrobat, not OpenOffice.org,
            not MacLink Plus, not WP for the Mac, not anything at all except
            WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS.

            So, in answer to the original poster, the ONLY solution is to use
            WordPerfect for Windows for these files, which can be done fairly
            easily (with the ability to print them) using VMware Fusion on a
            Mac. (Also Parallels, but Parallels is slower and flakier and there's
            no reason to use it instead of Fusion. VirtualBox can't print without
            elaborate setting-up, so it's not an alternative that's worth
            pursuing.)
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 24 , May 23, 2009
              On May 23, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

              > So, in answer to the original poster, the ONLY solution is to use
              > WordPerfect for Windows for these files, which can be done fairly
              > easily (with the ability to print them) using VMware Fusion on a
              > Mac. (Also Parallels, but Parallels is slower and flakier and there's
              > no reason to use it instead of Fusion.

              Fusion vs. Parallels Benchmarks
              http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/
              index.html
              Conclusion: "In the majority of overall averages of our tests,
              Parallels Desktop is the clear winner running 14-20% faster than
              VMware Fusion. "
              Macworld magazine published an online article comparing the various
              virtualization options:
              http://www.macworld.com/article/137305/2008/12/choosevm.html?lsrc=top_1

              or

              http://ruhao.notlong.com

              Randy B. Singer

              Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
              http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
            • Michael Mulhern
              Message 6 of 24 , May 23, 2009
                Yes Randy, I was going to Cite the same results. As a side note,
                current Fusion is faster than v3 Parallels, but v4 Parallels is faster
                than both.

                Michael.

                On 24/05/2009, at 1:23 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

                > On May 23, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
                >
                > > So, in answer to the original poster, the ONLY solution is to use
                > > WordPerfect for Windows for these files, which can be done fairly
                > > easily (with the ability to print them) using VMware Fusion on a
                > > Mac. (Also Parallels, but Parallels is slower and flakier and
                > there's
                > > no reason to use it instead of Fusion.
                >
                > Fusion vs. Parallels Benchmarks
                > http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/
                > index.html
                > Conclusion: "In the majority of overall averages of our tests,
                > Parallels Desktop is the clear winner running 14-20% faster than
                > VMware Fusion. "
                > Macworld magazine published an online article comparing the various
                > virtualization options:
                > http://www.macworld.com/article/137305/2008/12/choosevm.html?
                > lsrc=top_1
                >
                > or
                >
                > http://ruhao.notlong.com

                > Randy B. Singer
                > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
                >
                > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
              • dee.rrxing
                Message 7 of 24 , May 23, 2009
                  Wow; thank you guys very much for your responses! You've been a great help.

                  Once I get access to his computers again, I'll try the trials for VMware Fusion and Parallels. If I get either of them to work, then I'm sure that my boss will pay for a license.

                  It would not have been crucial to be able to edit old invoices, but he does still make new ones, and the easiest way is to use a template file with said formatting already complete and Save As a new invoice. A brief look, and I don't think any of the programs I have tried make the table math nearly as simply as WordPerfect.

                  I was hoping to make due with free programs, but that's alright.
                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

                    > Fusion vs. Parallels Benchmarks
                    > http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/
                    > index.html
                    > Conclusion: "In the majority of overall averages of our tests,
                    > Parallels Desktop is the clear winner running 14-20% faster than
                    > VMware Fusion. "

                    Interesting. I hadn't done any serious testing since Parallels Version 3.

                    It turns out that both VMware and Parallels are more or less similar in timings
                    (more about this below). But timings aren't everything. With VMware, WPWin
                    could print perfectly to my printer. Parallels' printing was a total mess - the
                    Mac OS "Printer Proxy" window displayed error messages on each print job,
                    and I had to press the "Go" button on my printer to get the Parallels output
                    printed. And the Parallels printing output typically had the wrong fonts.
                    VMware worked perfectly, in contrast.

                    However, if you don't care about printing, only about timings, then the
                    two programs are more or less equal. I did this test:

                    I set up two identical XP machines (same RAM, same disk size, same
                    configuration, each with respective tools) in Parallels and VMware,
                    on a 2.4GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM. Install WPWin on each; launch
                    WPWin in Unity/Coherence mode, and suspend the virtual machine
                    and shut down Parallels and VMware.

                    I then opened a 500KB WPWin file from the Mac desktop in each system,
                    and timed the delay before the file opened in the WPWin window and was
                    editable. The times varied a bit, but averaged 11 or 12 seconds for each.
                    VMware had the fastest time (9 seconds), Parallels the slowest (18 seconds),
                    but the average was about the same.

                    I also timed a huge search/replace operation in both systems. Again the
                    times varied, but averaged about 2-3 seconds in each.

                    So, yes, Parallels is close enough in speed to VMware. The big difference
                    is that VMware prints correctly, and Parallels doesn't. Take your pick.
                  • Edward Mendelson
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 24, 2009

                      > It turns out that both VMware and Parallels are more or less similar in timings
                      > (more about this below). But timings aren't everything. With VMware, WPWin
                      > could print perfectly to my printer. Parallels' printing was a total mess - the
                      > Mac OS "Printer Proxy" window displayed error messages on each print job,
                      > and I had to press the "Go" button on my printer to get the Parallels output
                      > printed. And the Parallels printing output typically had the wrong fonts.
                      > VMware worked perfectly, in contrast.

                      It turns out there's a workaround for this if you search hard enough on
                      the Parallels forums - it involves installing an Apple LaserWriter driver
                      in XP. But it's preferable not to need a workaround at all, presumably.
                    • David Derbes
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                        About a year ago, when I finally replaced my much-customized
                        Blue and White with a new Mac Pro, I did a little research on
                        Parallels vs Fusion. One report, maybe at Ars Technica, indicated
                        that while Parallels was a little more user-friendly, Fusion
                        stressed the hardware much less. That was good enough for me.
                        (The comparison was, IIRC, between Fusion v.1 and Parallels v.2,
                        but I can't be sure.)

                        I don't think I've fired up Windows XP on this machine more than a
                        half-dozen times, but Fusion hasn't had any problems at all.

                        Good luck with your choice.

                        David Derbes
                        U of Chicago Laboratory Schools

                      • Chad Russell
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                          > Yes Randy, I was going to Cite the same results. As a side note,
                          > current Fusion is faster than v3 Parallels, but v4 Parallels is faster
                          > than both.

                          The problem is that although Parallels 4 is faster than VMWare Fusion 2, it is still much "flakier" -- for example, the upgrader from Parallels 3 to 4 was so badly-written and poorly-tested that it managed to utterly destroy all my virtual machines (even those on a backup server that I had accidentally left mounted), requiring me to manually downgrade and restore all my PC files from offline backup.

                          I then switched to VMWare Fusion 2 and imported the restored machines into it without a hitch.

                          VMWare appears to have a superior beta-testing process, and -- in my experience -- produces a much more reliable product; perhaps this is the reason Fusion is slower than Parallels and has a somewhat smaller feature set. I finally got Parallels 4 running, and it is a faster, slicker product -- but I will never trust it again, and am going to stick with VMWare Fusion 2 for the foreseeable future.
                        • J Busch
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                            You can also install Sun's Virtualbox for free, minus the windows license. It has worked well with my WinXP with WP x4 setup. It seems to be as fast as the Fusion and Parallels demos. WP 12 also worked as a previous setup. Parallels coherance mode works a little better and my Sony eBook reader won't work with Virtualbox.

                            Jonathan

                            Sent from my iPod

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                              You can map your Mac Documents folder to a shared drive in XP with Fusion, Parallels or Virtualbox. Then change your XP My Documents folder to this shared drive and your docs folder will be accessable and identicle from any program.

                              Jonathan

                              Sent from my iPod

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 24, 2009
                                Crossover office has worked well for me with simpler XP programs such as a notepad editor. WP was difficult to install, printing did not work, and had several other usability issues.

                                You will also have difficulty with the XP reinstall disk on Parallels, Fusion or Virtualbox.

                                Jonathan

                                Sent from my iPod

                                I'm working into a dead end with this problem, as far as I can see. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 25, 2009
                                  On May 24, 2009, at 9:41 PM, Chad Russell wrote:

                                  > The problem is that although Parallels 4 is faster than VMWare
                                  > Fusion 2, it is still much "flakier"

                                  I've never tried Fusion. I run Parallels along with Vista Home
                                  Premium, and it works perfectly. Not flaky at all, excellent speed,
                                  and no problems with printing or anything else.

                                  However, the installation instructions for Parallels left a lot to be
                                  desired, and technical support was just this side of "horrid."

                                  So, if Fusion can be installed easily, and if it has decent technical
                                  support, it might be worth foregoing the speed advantage that
                                  Parallels enjoys.

                                  It might be worth the trouble to try the free demos that both offer
                                  before making a choice.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 25, 2009
                                    Such is the world of technology. My upgrade from Parallels v3 to v4
                                    went so smoothly - no problems and the resulting W2K system felt even
                                    better than before.

                                    To each their own.

                                    Regards,

                                    Michael

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 25, 2009
                                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

                                      > I've never tried Fusion. I run Parallels along with Vista Home
                                      > Premium, and it works perfectly. Not flaky at all, excellent speed,
                                      > and no problems with printing or anything else.

                                      Another advantage of Fusion is that it lets you choose your actual
                                      printer from the Windows Print dialog. If you have a Deskjet and
                                      a LaserJet, then you can choose the Deskjet or the LaserJet from
                                      the list of printers in the Windows Print dialog.

                                      With Parallels, the Windows dialog always tells you that you're
                                      printing to an HP Color LaserJet or an Apple LaserWriter, which
                                      tends to be confusing if you don't actually have either printer.
                                      If you want to switch between two printers that you actually have,
                                      you need to go to the Configure dialog and then the Parallel Port,
                                      which isn't exactly intuitive. The whole printing system is a mess.

                                      In the real world, the speed difference between the two isn't
                                      noticeable - I have fully licensed copies of both. Both of them
                                      work, but Fusion works better than Parallels, and its printing
                                      system is vastly superior. Obviously, there's no reason to switch
                                      away from Parallels for anyone who paid for it, and for whom it
                                      continues to work. But for anyone starting out, there's no reason
                                      to prefer Parallels, and plenty of reasons to avoid it.
                                    • Kipperman@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 25, 2009
                                        does MacLinkPlus work?

                                      • J Busch
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 25, 2009
                                          I have lost three virtual machines under Fusion 2 (~Jan Build), two virtual machines with virtualbox and one with parallels 3.0. I had backups to recover from, but in my experience I trust Fusion less than Parallels. They each have issues from time to time. Try the demos out and choose what works for you.

                                          Jonathan
                                          Sent from my iPod

                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 26, 2009
                                            On May 25, 2009, at 7:40 AM, Kipperman@... wrote:

                                            > does MacLinkPlus work?

                                            Yes. But not nearly as well as you might hope. If has problems with
                                            advanced formatting.

                                            It would be nice if it was the supreme solution to file translation
                                            problems, but it isn't.