Re: [wpmac] Re: Help! With WP 3.5 Password Protected files.

  • Doug Auwarter
    Message 1 of 12 , May 7, 2009
      And this is exactly what I remember reading about WP encryption at
      that time. MacWorld gave it a C+ in regards to its security at the
      time. It offered some security, but somebody who really knew what
      they were doing wouldn't have a lot trouble "cracking" it.
      Best,
      Doug

      On May 7, 2009, at 9:08 PM, ted_m_p_lee wrote:

      > While there may be no tool to do it, I took a quick look at a file
      > consisting of all a's saved under the password "a" (Mac WP 3.5e)
      > and there was exactly the kind of regularity talked about in the
      > various references. It is obvious it is a very simple cipher and
      > would be very easy to crack. So while yes he'll need the password
      > to open them, it should be possible without a lot of work (meaning,
      > not having to try a lot of passwords) to figure out what the
      > password is. Yes, you'd have to be a cryptologist, but only a very
      > amateur one.
      >
      > Ted Lee
      > Minnetonka, MN

    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Doug Auwarter <dauwarter@...> wrote:

        > And this is exactly what I remember reading about WP encryption at
        > that time. MacWorld gave it a C+ in regards to its security at the
        > time. It offered some security, but somebody who really knew what
        > they were doing wouldn't have a lot trouble "cracking" it.
        > Best,
        > Doug

        The assertion here was that the encryption on Mac WordPerfect was better than PC Wordperfect ... doesn't look like it. It's possible it's slightly different (I haven't had time to figure it out) but on first blush it doesn't look markedly so.

        (yes, I'm taking it as a personal challenge to figure it out, but I"m not going to promise how quickly.)

        Ted Lee
        Minnetonka, MN