Re: Help! With WP 3.5 Password Protected files.

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , May 6, 2009
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tau109" <bcoombe@...> wrote:

      > I've been converting my late Father's Mac Word Perfect Files, and I'm down to a few that are Password Protected. They are sizable, and I'm assuming they're early versions of his books. I've been able to open all his other files, using Basilisk II and WP 3.5 enhanced, But these few files file require a password. Any way to get around this?

      Just to clarify the responses to this messages:

      Unfortunately, absolutely NO tool exists for recovering passwords from encrypted WPMac files. Without the password, you will not be able to open these files.

      There ARE tools that can recover the passwords from WordPerfect for DOS and WP for Windows files, but these tools cannot do anything with files encrypted by WordPerfect for the Mac.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sinigandhi_it" <sinigandhi_it@...> wrote:

        > Am I wrong or do the programs seem to have moved from the links section? I can't find an earlier verson at the referenced website. Am I doing something wrong?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sinigandhi_it" <sinigandhi_it@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > Download "WPApplianceFiles" from the link in the Links section here. It
        > > includes WP 1.0.x, which runs in the Basilisk setup included in
        > > WPApplianceFiles, or in SheepShaver, or in Classic, although the menus
        > > don't work 100%.

        The WP Appliance is now downloadable from this page:

        http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html#intelbased
      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2009
          While there may be no tool to do it, I took a quick look at a file consisting of all a's saved under the password "a" (Mac WP 3.5e) and there was exactly the kind of regularity talked about in the various references. It is obvious it is a very simple cipher and would be very easy to crack. So while yes he'll need the password to open them, it should be possible without a lot of work (meaning, not having to try a lot of passwords) to figure out what the password is. Yes, you'd have to be a cryptologist, but only a very amateur one.

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tau109" <bcoombe@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've been converting my late Father's Mac Word Perfect Files, and I'm down to a few that are Password Protected. They are sizable, and I'm assuming they're early versions of his books. I've been able to open all his other files, using Basilisk II and WP 3.5 enhanced, But these few files file require a password. Any way to get around this?
          > >

          > Just to clarify the responses to this messages:
          >
          > Unfortunately, absolutely NO tool exists for recovering passwords from encrypted WPMac files. Without the password, you will not be able to open these files.
          >
          > There ARE tools that can recover the passwords from WordPerfect for DOS and WP for Windows files, but these tools cannot do anything with files encrypted by WordPerfect for the Mac.

        • Doug Auwarter
          Message 4 of 12 , May 7, 2009
            And this is exactly what I remember reading about WP encryption at
            that time. MacWorld gave it a C+ in regards to its security at the
            time. It offered some security, but somebody who really knew what
            they were doing wouldn't have a lot trouble "cracking" it.
            Best,
            Doug

            On May 7, 2009, at 9:08 PM, ted_m_p_lee wrote:

            > While there may be no tool to do it, I took a quick look at a file
            > consisting of all a's saved under the password "a" (Mac WP 3.5e)
            > and there was exactly the kind of regularity talked about in the
            > various references. It is obvious it is a very simple cipher and
            > would be very easy to crack. So while yes he'll need the password
            > to open them, it should be possible without a lot of work (meaning,
            > not having to try a lot of passwords) to figure out what the
            > password is. Yes, you'd have to be a cryptologist, but only a very
            > amateur one.
            >
            > Ted Lee
            > Minnetonka, MN

          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 12 , May 8, 2009
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Doug Auwarter <dauwarter@...> wrote:

              > And this is exactly what I remember reading about WP encryption at
              > that time. MacWorld gave it a C+ in regards to its security at the
              > time. It offered some security, but somebody who really knew what
              > they were doing wouldn't have a lot trouble "cracking" it.
              > Best,
              > Doug

              The assertion here was that the encryption on Mac WordPerfect was better than PC Wordperfect ... doesn't look like it. It's possible it's slightly different (I haven't had time to figure it out) but on first blush it doesn't look markedly so.

              (yes, I'm taking it as a personal challenge to figure it out, but I"m not going to promise how quickly.)

              Ted Lee
              Minnetonka, MN