Re: Help! With WP 3.5 Password Protected files.

  • sinigandhi_it
    Message 1 of 12 , May 6, 2009
      Am I wrong or do the programs seem to have moved from the links section? I can't find an earlier verson at the referenced website. Am I doing something wrong?

      Thanks!

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sinigandhi_it" <sinigandhi_it@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a similar question but with a small twist. I have one or two files that I made something like 20 years ago in Word Perfect for Mac 1.0.2. I don't quite remember the passwords, but I think I could guess them through trial and error. My problem is that Word Perfect 3.5 doesn't seem to be able to open encrypted documents created in earlier versions. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!
      >
      > Download "WPApplianceFiles" from the link in the Links section here. It
      > includes WP 1.0.x, which runs in the Basilisk setup included in
      > WPApplianceFiles, or in SheepShaver, or in Classic, although the menus
      > don't work 100%.
      >
      > John R.

    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tau109" <bcoombe@...> wrote:

        > I've been converting my late Father's Mac Word Perfect Files, and I'm down to a few that are Password Protected. They are sizable, and I'm assuming they're early versions of his books. I've been able to open all his other files, using Basilisk II and WP 3.5 enhanced, But these few files file require a password. Any way to get around this?

        Just to clarify the responses to this messages:

        Unfortunately, absolutely NO tool exists for recovering passwords from encrypted WPMac files. Without the password, you will not be able to open these files.

        There ARE tools that can recover the passwords from WordPerfect for DOS and WP for Windows files, but these tools cannot do anything with files encrypted by WordPerfect for the Mac.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 12 , May 6, 2009
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sinigandhi_it" <sinigandhi_it@...> wrote:

          > Am I wrong or do the programs seem to have moved from the links section? I can't find an earlier verson at the referenced website. Am I doing something wrong?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sinigandhi_it" <sinigandhi_it@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > Download "WPApplianceFiles" from the link in the Links section here. It
          > > includes WP 1.0.x, which runs in the Basilisk setup included in
          > > WPApplianceFiles, or in SheepShaver, or in Classic, although the menus
          > > don't work 100%.

          The WP Appliance is now downloadable from this page:

          http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html#intelbased
        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 12 , May 7, 2009
            While there may be no tool to do it, I took a quick look at a file consisting of all a's saved under the password "a" (Mac WP 3.5e) and there was exactly the kind of regularity talked about in the various references. It is obvious it is a very simple cipher and would be very easy to crack. So while yes he'll need the password to open them, it should be possible without a lot of work (meaning, not having to try a lot of passwords) to figure out what the password is. Yes, you'd have to be a cryptologist, but only a very amateur one.

            Ted Lee
            Minnetonka, MN

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tau109" <bcoombe@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've been converting my late Father's Mac Word Perfect Files, and I'm down to a few that are Password Protected. They are sizable, and I'm assuming they're early versions of his books. I've been able to open all his other files, using Basilisk II and WP 3.5 enhanced, But these few files file require a password. Any way to get around this?
            > >

            > Just to clarify the responses to this messages:
            >
            > Unfortunately, absolutely NO tool exists for recovering passwords from encrypted WPMac files. Without the password, you will not be able to open these files.
            >
            > There ARE tools that can recover the passwords from WordPerfect for DOS and WP for Windows files, but these tools cannot do anything with files encrypted by WordPerfect for the Mac.

          • Doug Auwarter
            Message 5 of 12 , May 7, 2009
              And this is exactly what I remember reading about WP encryption at
              that time. MacWorld gave it a C+ in regards to its security at the
              time. It offered some security, but somebody who really knew what
              they were doing wouldn't have a lot trouble "cracking" it.
              Best,
              Doug

              On May 7, 2009, at 9:08 PM, ted_m_p_lee wrote:

              > While there may be no tool to do it, I took a quick look at a file
              > consisting of all a's saved under the password "a" (Mac WP 3.5e)
              > and there was exactly the kind of regularity talked about in the
              > various references. It is obvious it is a very simple cipher and
              > would be very easy to crack. So while yes he'll need the password
              > to open them, it should be possible without a lot of work (meaning,
              > not having to try a lot of passwords) to figure out what the
              > password is. Yes, you'd have to be a cryptologist, but only a very
              > amateur one.
              >
              > Ted Lee
              > Minnetonka, MN

            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 12 , May 8, 2009
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Doug Auwarter <dauwarter@...> wrote:

                > And this is exactly what I remember reading about WP encryption at
                > that time. MacWorld gave it a C+ in regards to its security at the
                > time. It offered some security, but somebody who really knew what
                > they were doing wouldn't have a lot trouble "cracking" it.
                > Best,
                > Doug

                The assertion here was that the encryption on Mac WordPerfect was better than PC Wordperfect ... doesn't look like it. It's possible it's slightly different (I haven't had time to figure it out) but on first blush it doesn't look markedly so.

                (yes, I'm taking it as a personal challenge to figure it out, but I"m not going to promise how quickly.)

                Ted Lee
                Minnetonka, MN