Re: Help! With WP 3.5 Password Protected files.

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 12 , May 4, 2009
      If you Google "wordperfect encryption" you get quite a few hits which jibe with my memory that the encryption scheme isn't very complicated and pretty easy to crack. The hits all seem to pertain to version 5.1 under Word or Unix, but I remember once playing with whatever version I had on my Mac at some point and noticing the simple patterns mentioned. So I suspect the techniques mentioned would work, i.e., that the Mac version is the same as the early Word version and not very sophisticated.

      Ted Lee
      Minnetonka, MN

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tau109" <bcoombe@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've been converting my late Father's Mac Word Perfect Files, and I'm down to a few that are Password Protected. They are sizable, and I'm assuming they're early versions of his books. I've been able to open all his other files, using Basilisk II and WP 3.5 enhanced, But these few files file require a password. Any way to get around this?
      >
      > WP encrypts, not just password-protects, files. There's no way around it to my
      > knowledge, outside of perhaps a specialized data recovery consultant. There's
      > a little more discussion in "Tips & Macros" in the Files section here.

    • sinigandhi_it
      Message 2 of 12 , May 5, 2009
        I have a similar question but with a small twist. I have one or two files that I made something like 20 years ago in Word Perfect for Mac 1.0.2. I don't quite remember the passwords, but I think I could guess them through trial and error. My problem is that Word Perfect 3.5 doesn't seem to be able to open encrypted documents created in earlier versions. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

        Sini

        Message 3 of 12 , May 5, 2009
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sinigandhi_it" <sinigandhi_it@...> wrote:

          > I have a similar question but with a small twist. I have one or two files that I made something like 20 years ago in Word Perfect for Mac 1.0.2. I don't quite remember the passwords, but I think I could guess them through trial and error. My problem is that Word Perfect 3.5 doesn't seem to be able to open encrypted documents created in earlier versions. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

          Download "WPApplianceFiles" from the link in the Links section here. It
          includes WP 1.0.x, which runs in the Basilisk setup included in
          WPApplianceFiles, or in SheepShaver, or in Classic, although the menus
          don't work 100%.

          John R.
        • geoffrey mendelson
          Message 4 of 12 , May 5, 2009
            On May 4, 2009, at 6:20 PM, ted_m_p_lee wrote:

            > If you Google "wordperfect encryption" you get quite a few hits
            > which jibe with my memory that the encryption scheme isn't very
            > complicated and pretty easy to crack. The hits all seem to pertain
            > to version 5.1 under Word or Unix, but I remember once playing with
            > whatever version I had on my Mac at some point and noticing the
            > simple patterns mentioned. So I suspect the techniques mentioned
            > would work, i.e., that the Mac version is the same as the early Word
            > version and not very sophisticated.

            It depended upon where you bought the program. The US version used DES
            encryption, which when it was developed in the early 1980's was
            impossible to crack without a "supercomputer".

            WordPefect used it because it could not be legally exported from the
            United States and that way the US Customs service was required by law
            to confiscate any copies leaving the country, even in your luggage.

            The "export" version use a weaker encryption, which was not covered by
            law.

            DES can be cracked in a few minutes on a modern computer, especially
            with a small (64 bit key).

            The problem is with any cracking of an encrypted document is to know
            when a key actually works.

            Geoff.

            --
            geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
            Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...
            Message 5 of 12 , May 6, 2009
              Am I wrong or do the programs seem to have moved from the links section? I can't find an earlier verson at the referenced website. Am I doing something wrong?

              Thanks!

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sinigandhi_it" <sinigandhi_it@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a similar question but with a small twist. I have one or two files that I made something like 20 years ago in Word Perfect for Mac 1.0.2. I don't quite remember the passwords, but I think I could guess them through trial and error. My problem is that Word Perfect 3.5 doesn't seem to be able to open encrypted documents created in earlier versions. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!
              >
              > Download "WPApplianceFiles" from the link in the Links section here. It
              > includes WP 1.0.x, which runs in the Basilisk setup included in
              > WPApplianceFiles, or in SheepShaver, or in Classic, although the menus
              > don't work 100%.
              >
              > John R.

            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 12 , May 6, 2009
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tau109" <bcoombe@...> wrote:

                > I've been converting my late Father's Mac Word Perfect Files, and I'm down to a few that are Password Protected. They are sizable, and I'm assuming they're early versions of his books. I've been able to open all his other files, using Basilisk II and WP 3.5 enhanced, But these few files file require a password. Any way to get around this?

                Just to clarify the responses to this messages:

                Unfortunately, absolutely NO tool exists for recovering passwords from encrypted WPMac files. Without the password, you will not be able to open these files.

                There ARE tools that can recover the passwords from WordPerfect for DOS and WP for Windows files, but these tools cannot do anything with files encrypted by WordPerfect for the Mac.
              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 12 , May 6, 2009
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sinigandhi_it" <sinigandhi_it@...> wrote:

                  > Am I wrong or do the programs seem to have moved from the links section? I can't find an earlier verson at the referenced website. Am I doing something wrong?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sinigandhi_it" <sinigandhi_it@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > Download "WPApplianceFiles" from the link in the Links section here. It
                  > > includes WP 1.0.x, which runs in the Basilisk setup included in
                  > > WPApplianceFiles, or in SheepShaver, or in Classic, although the menus
                  > > don't work 100%.

                  The WP Appliance is now downloadable from this page:

                  http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html#intelbased
                • ted_m_p_lee
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                    While there may be no tool to do it, I took a quick look at a file consisting of all a's saved under the password "a" (Mac WP 3.5e) and there was exactly the kind of regularity talked about in the various references. It is obvious it is a very simple cipher and would be very easy to crack. So while yes he'll need the password to open them, it should be possible without a lot of work (meaning, not having to try a lot of passwords) to figure out what the password is. Yes, you'd have to be a cryptologist, but only a very amateur one.

                    Ted Lee
                    Minnetonka, MN

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tau109" <bcoombe@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I've been converting my late Father's Mac Word Perfect Files, and I'm down to a few that are Password Protected. They are sizable, and I'm assuming they're early versions of his books. I've been able to open all his other files, using Basilisk II and WP 3.5 enhanced, But these few files file require a password. Any way to get around this?
                    > >

                    > Just to clarify the responses to this messages:
                    >
                    > Unfortunately, absolutely NO tool exists for recovering passwords from encrypted WPMac files. Without the password, you will not be able to open these files.
                    >
                    > There ARE tools that can recover the passwords from WordPerfect for DOS and WP for Windows files, but these tools cannot do anything with files encrypted by WordPerfect for the Mac.

                  • Doug Auwarter
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                      And this is exactly what I remember reading about WP encryption at
                      that time. MacWorld gave it a C+ in regards to its security at the
                      time. It offered some security, but somebody who really knew what
                      they were doing wouldn't have a lot trouble "cracking" it.
                      Best,
                      Doug

                      On May 7, 2009, at 9:08 PM, ted_m_p_lee wrote:

                      > While there may be no tool to do it, I took a quick look at a file
                      > consisting of all a's saved under the password "a" (Mac WP 3.5e)
                      > and there was exactly the kind of regularity talked about in the
                      > various references. It is obvious it is a very simple cipher and
                      > would be very easy to crack. So while yes he'll need the password
                      > to open them, it should be possible without a lot of work (meaning,
                      > not having to try a lot of passwords) to figure out what the
                      > password is. Yes, you'd have to be a cryptologist, but only a very
                      > amateur one.
                      >
                      > Ted Lee
                      > Minnetonka, MN

                    • ted_m_p_lee
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 8, 2009
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Doug Auwarter <dauwarter@...> wrote:

                        > And this is exactly what I remember reading about WP encryption at
                        > that time. MacWorld gave it a C+ in regards to its security at the
                        > time. It offered some security, but somebody who really knew what
                        > they were doing wouldn't have a lot trouble "cracking" it.
                        > Best,
                        > Doug

                        The assertion here was that the encryption on Mac WordPerfect was better than PC Wordperfect ... doesn't look like it. It's possible it's slightly different (I haven't had time to figure it out) but on first blush it doesn't look markedly so.

                        (yes, I'm taking it as a personal challenge to figure it out, but I"m not going to promise how quickly.)

                        Ted Lee
                        Minnetonka, MN