Re: wpmac for Tiger?

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Eliaser" <jeliaser@...> wrote:

      > Hi. I have an Intel Mac with Tiger (10.4.11), and I would LOVE to use the WPMac Appliance solution, which looks awesome.

      I spent some time this morning trying to adapt the installer for use with Tiger. I made some progress, but not enough to get it working from start to finish. Possibly someone who's really expert in AppleScript could do it quickly, but it would take me far too many hours of testing and research. So I've updated the installer and the web page description to reflect the fact that the installer only runs under 10.5 or later.

      If you know your way around a Mac, you could certainly set up the system by hand by adapting the instructions that John worked out for his SheepShaver install. Basically, what my installer does is automate the process that John spells out for SheepShaver.

      But, as John says, the better solution is simply to download and install his SheepShaver system, which is a superior system anyway!
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Eliaser" <jeliaser@...> wrote:

        > Hi. I have an Intel Mac with Tiger (10.4.11), and I would LOVE to use the WPMac Appliance solution, which looks awesome.

        After saying that I wouldn't this, I decided to see how much work would be required, so I wrote out a set of instructions for installing the WPMac Appliance manually under Tiger. I tested this on a PowerPC Mac, but I can't see any reason why the same method shouldn't work on an Intel Mac.

        The instructions are here:

        http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html#tigersetup

        These are offered with absolutely NO support. If they don't produce the results you want, try performing all the steps again, very, very carefully.

        When you see how complicated it is, you may decide that it's easier to upgrade to Leopard and use the automated installer.