Re: Mac Security

  • Kevin Jaques, B.A., LL.B.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 9:28 AM
      I think that newspaper was just being provocative to sell papers. I
      see the media do that all the time, take some true fact or insight and
      blow it way out of proportion to stir up some publicity for
      themselves. Certainly that paper sure got their name mentioned a lot
      of times on this listserv. But not on THIS reply!

      Certainly the size of the target is a factor, but only one of many. I
      offer two more.

      Apple insists that it sell the core hardware, so that reduces the
      degree the system must be 'open' to new hardware and system software.
      That openness in Windows is undoubtedly a path for infection. It would
      be as though we had a door in our gut to add new organs. That door
      would be a road for germs, just like all our other holes, no matter
      how well designed. By the way, I personally would like to see Apple
      open this up more, if safely possible.

      And that is the second point, 'how well designed'. I really think that
      a lot of people at Apple see their product as art, and pay a lot more
      attention to quality for its own sake. You can still make a lot of
      money in art, think of Mick Jagger. But if you just see your
      operating system as a commodity, you will aim for the level of quality
      that optimizes profits, as opposed to aiming at a level of profits
      which optimizes quality.
      --
      Sincerely

      Kevin Jaques, B.A., LL.B.