Re: Appletalk Printing from SS Solved

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "steve97m" <slapp@...> wrote:

      > I'd add one correction to Edward's post. For Appletalk printing, Appletalk does need to be active on the OSX side.

      Oh, I see - you're talking about an Appletalk printer that's installed in OS X; you're not talking about using Appletalk in Sheepshaver (because Appletalk doesn't work in Sheepshaver). I don't have an Appletalk printer, only USB and IP printers, so that didn't occur to me. Thanks for the correction!
    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
        >Edward Mendelson wrote:
        >
        >1. Using Google or any other search engine, find, download, and
        >install the NetworkStat widget in OS X. Typically the second set of
        >numbers it displays is the IP address of your Mac on your internal
        >network (probably something like 10.0.1.15). There are a dozen other
        >programs that show your IP address, but this is an easy one to use.

        Thanks, Edward. That's extremely helpful!

        Minor suggestion regarding Step 1: Instead of downloading the
        NetworkStat widget, you can get your IP address from utilities built
        into OS X:

        In the Apple menu, click About This Mac, click the More Info button,
        then click Network in the left hand pane. (Be sure to click Network
        itself, not any entries under Network.)

        or

        Launch "Network Utility" (in the Utilities folder in the Applications
        folder). Click the Info tab.
        --

        Bob Stern
      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2009

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
          >
          > > Very basic question: how do you determine your Mac's IP address?
          > >

          > John,
          >
          > Wouldn't it be nice if things got explained clearly the first time around? Here's the full story:

          How is this better than the printing solution John supplies with his Sheepshaver install? Certainly sounds a lot more difficult to set up, especially in a network where IP's are assigned by DHCP.

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2009

            > How is this better than the printing solution John supplies with his Sheepshaver install? Certainly sounds a lot more difficult to set up, especially in a network where IP's are assigned by DHCP.

            It isn't better; I very much prefer the solution in the Sheepshaver install (even though this LPR printer solution seems a bit faster). But there are people who seem to want it, and it seemed worthwhile to have instructions that work correctly for those who want them.
          • geoffrey mendelson
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2009
              On Apr 3, 2009, at 8:26 PM, ted_m_p_lee wrote:

              > How is this better than the printing solution John supplies with his
              > Sheepshaver install? Certainly sounds a lot more difficult to set
              > up, especially in a network where IP's are assigned by DHCP.

              Your computer is ALWAYS 127.0.0.1

              Geoff.

              --
              geoffrey mendelson
              geoffreymendelson@...
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2009
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

                > Your computer is ALWAYS 127.0.0.1

                Yes, but the address that you need to enter in the SHEEPSHAVER virtual machine is the address of the physical Mac that is the HOST machine. if you entered 127.0.0.1 in Sheepshaver, then the Sheepshaver machine would send the data to itself - not to the host machine. The number we're looking for is the number that ANOTHER machine needs to know in order to conact the OS X Mac.

                To say this in a slightly different way. We're talking about the address of the physical Mac host in relation to the Sheepshaver virtual machine. These are two different machines - you can't access ANOTHER machine by entering 127.0.0.1, and the whole point of this is that the Sheepshaver virtual machine is accessing ANOTHER machine - the host Mac.
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 8, 2009

                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:

                  >> How is this better than the printing solution John supplies with
                  >> his Sheepshaver install? Certainly sounds a lot more difficult to set
                  >> up, especially in a network where IP's are assigned by DHCP.

                  > It isn't better; I very much prefer the solution in the Sheepshaver
                  > install (even though this LPR printer solution seems a bit faster). But
                  > there are people who seem to want it, and it seemed worthwhile to
                  > have instructions that work correctly for those who want them.

                  Why do you prefer it?

                  John R.
                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 8, 2009
                    (Repost to remove typing errors; apologies to those who get the list by mail.)

                    >> It isn't better; I very much prefer the solution in the Sheepshaver
                    >> install (even though this LPR printer solution seems a bit faster).

                    > Why do you prefer it?

                    No setup required; choice of PDF or print.

                    I don't actually use Sheepshaver (or Basilisk II), but if I did actually use it, I suppose I would, in fact, take the trouble to set up one desktop printer to a real OS X print queue and another desktop printer to create PDFs - instead of using the current folder-watching method.

                    But that would be solely for my own use. Having had some experience with creating printing setups for other users, I would *always* recommend creating the one that requires no setup at all.

                    If you asking because you're working on your next Sheepshaver-setup version, I think your life will be made infinitely easier if you create a no-setup-required printing system by default, but add an explanation of how to set up the more complex but faster printing system.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 9, 2009

                      > If you asking because you're working on your next Sheepshaver-setup
                      > version, I think your life will be made infinitely easier if you create a
                      > no-setup-required printing system by default, but add an explanation of
                      > how to set up the more complex but faster printing system.

                      Good advice. This is what I'll do.