Appletalk Printing from SS Solved

  • steve97m
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
      The tip from John on March 25 about printer sharing also solves the problem of printing to an Appletalk printer directly from SheepShaver. Appletalk printing is set up on the OSX side and printer sharing is enabled. Within SS, the key is to set up the printer as an LPR printer and then print to the IP address of your Mac. One slight rub is that if your IP address changes due to DHCP assignment, the LPR printer must be redirected to the new IP address. I tried using 127.0.0.1, the localhost address, but this failed. Bottom line, however, is that this is still an excellent solution for those wishing to print directly to an Appletalk printer from within SheepShaver. John, thanks for pointing this out and to the original poster on emaculation.com for discovering this.
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "steve97m" <slapp@...> wrote:

        > The tip from John on March 25 about printer sharing also solves the problem of printing to an Appletalk printer directly from SheepShaver. Appletalk printing is set up on the OSX side and printer sharing is enabled. Within SS, the key is to set up the printer as an LPR printer and then print to the IP address of your Mac. One slight rub is that if your IP address changes due to DHCP assignment, the LPR printer must be redirected to the new IP address. I tried using 127.0.0.1, the localhost address, but this failed. Bottom line, however, is that this is still an excellent solution for those wishing to print directly to an Appletalk printer from within SheepShaver. John, thanks for pointing this out and to the original poster on emaculation.com for discovering this.

        Very basic question: how do you determine your Mac's IP address?

        Does this print faster than the PS file > Print in Preview method?

        What driver are you using in SS? Laserwriter 8 or Adobe?

        John R.
      • steve97m
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
          John,
          Answers embedded after your questions.

          > Very basic question: how do you determine your Mac's IP address?

          Easiest way is to open the Network Utility Application in the Utilities Folder. The IP address will be on the Info pane which opens by default.

          > Does this print faster than the PS file > Print in Preview method?

          Yes, because you print directly from the application and I didn't see any delay in moving the data from SS over to OSX. The alternate is to print to a PS file from the application, jump over to OSX and open that file using Preview, and then print from Preview.

          > What driver are you using in SS? Laserwriter 8 or Adobe?

          Laserwriter 8

          Steve L
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009

            > Very basic question: how do you determine your Mac's IP address?

            John,

            Wouldn't it be nice if things got explained clearly the first time around? Here's the full story:

            You can print from SheepShaver to any printer installed in the host OS X system. The printer can be connected by USB, wireless, wired network, or any other way. Follow these steps.

            First, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with AppleTalk. AppleTalk need not be active in either OS X or Sheepshaver/OS 9. It will not hurt to have AppleTalk on, but it won't help either.

            Next, the instructions apply to OS X 10.5 Leopard. You should find it easy to find the corresponding steps for 10.4 Tiger.

            1. Using Google or any other search engine, find, download, and install the NetworkStat widget in OS X. Typically the second set of numbers it displays is the IP address of your Mac on your internal network (probably something like 10.0.1.15). There are a dozen other programs that show your IP address, but this is an easy one to use.

            2. In OS X, use System Preferences, then Sharing; put a checkmark next to Printer Sharing. Then, in the list of printers, highlight the printer that you want to print to, put a checkmark next to its name, and click Open Print & Fax settings.

            3. In the Print & Fax settings, your chosen printer should be highlighted. Click Open Print Queue. In the dialog that describes your printer, click Info, then, on the General tab, find the Queue Name (typically something like HP_LaserJet_4300_YourName, but with the name of your printer, not mine), highlight the queue name, and press Cmd-C to copy it to the clipboard.

            4. Start Sheepshaver. In the Finder, use File, Find... to find the Desktop Printer Utility and launch it. In the New Desktop Printer dialog, make sure that Laserwriter 8 is selected (there probably won't be anything else). In the list of options, select Printer (LPR) and click OK.

            5. In the Untitled 1 dialog, find the icon in the box "LPR Printer Selection" and click the Change... button to the right of that icon. In the Internet Printer dialog, in the TOP line (Printer Address) enter the IP address of your Mac, which you found in step 1. (Something like 10.0.1.15 - but don't use 10.0.1.15 unless your Mac really and truly is at the address 10.0.1.15, because this is only an EXAMPLE. If you try to make this work by typing 10.0.1.15 into the box without actually finding the correct number in step 1, it is guaranteed NOT to work.)

            6. Don't close that Internet Printer dialog! Click in the Queue box, press Cmd-V to paste in the Queue name that you copied in step 3, typically something like HP_Laserjet_4300_YourName (but again, this is only an EXAMPLE - this will only work if you use the correct name.)

            7. Don't close that dialog! Click Verify. This will test that something really is at the IP address you entered. If the verification doesn't work, start over, and check every step. If the verification works, then click OK.

            8. Back in the Untitled 1 dialog, click Create; then in the Save Desktop Printer dialog, enter a name for your printer, like "OS X Printer" or "Roscoe" or anything you like, and click Save.

            When the printer icon appears on your desktop, try printing from WordPerfect or SimpleText or any other application in Sheepshaver. If something goes wrong, start over and follow the instructions EXACTLY. Please try following the instructions in obsessively complete detail, two or three times if necessary.

            Does that answer all relevant questions?
          • steve97m
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
              I'd add one correction to Edward's post. For Appletalk printing, Appletalk does need to be active on the OSX side.
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "steve97m" <slapp@...> wrote:

                > I'd add one correction to Edward's post. For Appletalk printing, Appletalk does need to be active on the OSX side.

                Oh, I see - you're talking about an Appletalk printer that's installed in OS X; you're not talking about using Appletalk in Sheepshaver (because Appletalk doesn't work in Sheepshaver). I don't have an Appletalk printer, only USB and IP printers, so that didn't occur to me. Thanks for the correction!
              • Bob Stern
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
                  >Edward Mendelson wrote:
                  >
                  >1. Using Google or any other search engine, find, download, and
                  >install the NetworkStat widget in OS X. Typically the second set of
                  >numbers it displays is the IP address of your Mac on your internal
                  >network (probably something like 10.0.1.15). There are a dozen other
                  >programs that show your IP address, but this is an easy one to use.

                  Thanks, Edward. That's extremely helpful!

                  Minor suggestion regarding Step 1: Instead of downloading the
                  NetworkStat widget, you can get your IP address from utilities built
                  into OS X:

                  In the Apple menu, click About This Mac, click the More Info button,
                  then click Network in the left hand pane. (Be sure to click Network
                  itself, not any entries under Network.)

                  or

                  Launch "Network Utility" (in the Utilities folder in the Applications
                  folder). Click the Info tab.
                  --

                  Bob Stern
                • ted_m_p_lee
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3, 2009

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Very basic question: how do you determine your Mac's IP address?
                    > >

                    > John,
                    >
                    > Wouldn't it be nice if things got explained clearly the first time around? Here's the full story:

                    How is this better than the printing solution John supplies with his Sheepshaver install? Certainly sounds a lot more difficult to set up, especially in a network where IP's are assigned by DHCP.

                    Ted Lee
                    Minnetonka, MN
                  • Edward Mendelson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 3, 2009

                      > How is this better than the printing solution John supplies with his Sheepshaver install? Certainly sounds a lot more difficult to set up, especially in a network where IP's are assigned by DHCP.

                      It isn't better; I very much prefer the solution in the Sheepshaver install (even though this LPR printer solution seems a bit faster). But there are people who seem to want it, and it seemed worthwhile to have instructions that work correctly for those who want them.
                    • geoffrey mendelson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 4, 2009
                        On Apr 3, 2009, at 8:26 PM, ted_m_p_lee wrote:

                        > How is this better than the printing solution John supplies with his
                        > Sheepshaver install? Certainly sounds a lot more difficult to set
                        > up, especially in a network where IP's are assigned by DHCP.

                        Your computer is ALWAYS 127.0.0.1

                        Geoff.

                        --
                        geoffrey mendelson
                        geoffreymendelson@...
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 4, 2009
                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

                          > Your computer is ALWAYS 127.0.0.1

                          Yes, but the address that you need to enter in the SHEEPSHAVER virtual machine is the address of the physical Mac that is the HOST machine. if you entered 127.0.0.1 in Sheepshaver, then the Sheepshaver machine would send the data to itself - not to the host machine. The number we're looking for is the number that ANOTHER machine needs to know in order to conact the OS X Mac.

                          To say this in a slightly different way. We're talking about the address of the physical Mac host in relation to the Sheepshaver virtual machine. These are two different machines - you can't access ANOTHER machine by entering 127.0.0.1, and the whole point of this is that the Sheepshaver virtual machine is accessing ANOTHER machine - the host Mac.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 8, 2009

                            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:

                            >> How is this better than the printing solution John supplies with
                            >> his Sheepshaver install? Certainly sounds a lot more difficult to set
                            >> up, especially in a network where IP's are assigned by DHCP.

                            > It isn't better; I very much prefer the solution in the Sheepshaver
                            > install (even though this LPR printer solution seems a bit faster). But
                            > there are people who seem to want it, and it seemed worthwhile to
                            > have instructions that work correctly for those who want them.

                            Why do you prefer it?

                            John R.
                          • Edward Mendelson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 8, 2009
                              (Repost to remove typing errors; apologies to those who get the list by mail.)

                              >> It isn't better; I very much prefer the solution in the Sheepshaver
                              >> install (even though this LPR printer solution seems a bit faster).

                              > Why do you prefer it?

                              No setup required; choice of PDF or print.

                              I don't actually use Sheepshaver (or Basilisk II), but if I did actually use it, I suppose I would, in fact, take the trouble to set up one desktop printer to a real OS X print queue and another desktop printer to create PDFs - instead of using the current folder-watching method.

                              But that would be solely for my own use. Having had some experience with creating printing setups for other users, I would *always* recommend creating the one that requires no setup at all.

                              If you asking because you're working on your next Sheepshaver-setup version, I think your life will be made infinitely easier if you create a no-setup-required printing system by default, but add an explanation of how to set up the more complex but faster printing system.
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 9, 2009

                                > If you asking because you're working on your next Sheepshaver-setup
                                > version, I think your life will be made infinitely easier if you create a
                                > no-setup-required printing system by default, but add an explanation of
                                > how to set up the more complex but faster printing system.

                                Good advice. This is what I'll do.