WP for 68K Macs

  • R. Mansfield
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2009
      What was the last version of WP that worked on 68K Macs, and does
      anyone know where I can find a copy?

      Thanks.
    • geoffrey mendelson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25, 2009
        On Mar 26, 2009, at 5:46 AM, R. Mansfield wrote:

        > What was the last version of WP that worked on 68K Macs, and does
        > anyone know where I can find a copy?

        3.5e. Look in the files section.

        I run it on (among other things) an original (800k floppy) SE on
        System 7.5, but I think you
        can get it to work on earlier versions of System 7.

        Geoff.
        --
        geoffrey mendelson
        geoffreymendelson@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2009
          Okay, for some reason I was thinking that 3.5 was PPC only, but great.

          Second question-- you mention running it on an SE, which obviously has a lower screen resolution. How does that work. I want to install it on PB 170 that is in really nice condition. The 170's screen is 640 x 400--a rather odd size. Will WP function okay on that?

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

          > On Mar 26, 2009, at 5:46 AM, R. Mansfield wrote:
          >
          > > What was the last version of WP that worked on 68K Macs, and does
          > > anyone know where I can find a copy?
          > >

          > 3.5e. Look in the files section.
          >
          > I run it on (among other things) an original (800k floppy) SE on
          > System 7.5, but I think you
          > can get it to work on earlier versions of System 7.
          >
          > Geoff.
          > --
          > geoffrey mendelson
          > geoffreymendelson@...

        • geoffrey mendelson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2009
            On Mar 26, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Rick Mansfield wrote:

            > Okay, for some reason I was thinking that 3.5 was PPC only, but great.
            >
            > Second question-- you mention running it on an SE, which obviously
            > has a lower screen resolution. How does that work. I want to install
            > it on PB 170 that is in really nice condition. The 170's screen is
            > 640 x 400--a rather odd size. Will WP function okay on that?

            I think you are asking two questions here. The first is the obvious
            one, is will the program run
            or will it crash, produce an unreadable display, etc. The answer to
            that one is yes, it will
            work fine.

            With a 68030 processor it should be fine. RAM ranged from 2m to 8m,
            with 2m, it would be
            tight, with 4 or more, and system 7.5, it will be good. Note that
            turning on virtual memory is false
            economy, it slows things down and should only be used to run programs
            that won't fit into the
            real RAM.

            The second question is "will enough of the document show on the screen
            for me to be able to use it"? In their day the powerbooks had more
            than enough screen to do what ever we were
            doing on them. A standard screen at the time was 640x480, so it was
            close enough. If you
            are used to a large modern screen, it may be tough to adapt.

            I'm typing this on a 1024x600 screen in a window with the text part
            not much bigger, if at all
            than 640x400, so IMHO you will have no problems.

            Compared to the 512x342 screen of my SE it's downright huge. :-)

            The only problem I can see is that WordPerfect 3.5 uses a lot of disk
            space. You may want to
            consider something smaller if you have a 40m (yes, that's megabytes)
            drive instead of the
            upgrade 80. If You use the package that is provided by someone on this
            group, the WP folder
            is about 65 megabytes, but around 45 of them are files that are only
            needed once (distribution
            files) and documentation.

            If you need something smaller, MacWrite II/Pro is in the 2-3 meg
            range, Microsoft Word under
            10 and Claris works/Appleworks 2-10 depending upon the version and
            what you install. AppleWorks as late as 5 came in a 680x0 version, but
            I personally only have the PPC version.

            You don't happen to be in the Jerusalem area? I could set you up with
            whatever you need.

            Geoff.
            --
            geoffrey mendelson
            geoffreymendelson@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27, 2009
              No, I'm not in the Jerusalem area, but thanks for the offer. And as for hard drive space, as I mentioned, this PB 170 is quite nice and contains a 500 mb hard drive that the previous owner had upgraded it to! So I've got plenty of room.