Re: [wpmac] Re: Explaining the Macintosh surge?

  • Chad Smith
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 13, 2009
      Macs are the perfect machine - since the switch to Intel. They are the only
      machines (if you follow the EULA) that can run any / all the major end user
      operating systems. Mac OS X is the best operating system ever offered to
      the public. Windows has tons of software that no other OS can run, and the
      familiarity and nearly universally available tech support that people are
      used to. And slap any flavor of desktop Linux on there you want.

      Thanks to Bootcamp, Parallels Desktop, and VMWare Fusion, (and SheepShaver,
      of course!) - an Intel Mac is like having 3 computers in one, (if not more).

      Not only that - (what I call the "Best of all possible worlds" approach) -
      but they are beautiful machines. There design is unmatched. They have
      everything you need as soon as you open the box, built-in WiFi, BlueTooth,
      WebCam, IR, FireWire.... Plus iWork and iLife are not available anywhere
      else, and - as a designer - I can tell you they are much more enjoyable to
      use than anything on the market today - and I have the uber-expensive Adobe
      Creative Suite Design Premium and Microsoft Office 2008 - and I end up using
      Pages far more than InDesign or Word, and Keynote far more than PowerPoint.
      Adobe Software seems (and that, I admit, is a subjective statement) to work
      better on a Mac. And even MS Office 2008 (for Mac) is better than MS Office
      2007 (for Windows) IMHO.

      Add to that the "Halo Effect" from iPods and the iPhone - the expert
      marketing campaigns - high schoolers who grew up with iPods now entering
      college and needing laptops - the Apple Store - the top notch AppleCare
      service and support - being seen everywhere on TV, Movies, and even
      commericals for Windows software (FinallyFast.com has a horrribly faked
      commerical where they paste images of a low-res screenshot of what I'm
      guessing in Windows XP onto older iMacs and even an iBook (which can't run
      Windows - without VirtualPC) and I'm sure it's not the only one).... All of
      it on top of the Vista disaster... I'm surprised Mac's aren't selling
      better than they are, and once the global economy turns around, I'm sure
      they will be. That, and/or when Apple comes out with a computer than costs
      less than $400 - maybe a MacBook Nano (netbook)?

      Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

      -Chad Smith
      http://www.chadwsmith.com/

    • Chad Smith
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 23, 2009
        Yes, Word 5.1 can be run under SheepShaver.

        - Chad Smith
        http://www.chadwsmith.com/