Explaining the Macintosh surge?

    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 10, 2009
      By David Pogue / New York Times

      At the risk of enraging the Apple bashers, I can't keep my mouth
      shut any longer: Something is going on with the Macintosh.

      At this week's Macworld Expo, there were 475 exhibitors. That's
      100 more booths than last year.

      There were 50,000 attendees. That's 10,000 more people than
      last year.

      A book publisher told me that 2007 Macintosh book sales were
      up by double-digit leaps over the previous year.

      Gartner's fourth-quarter 2007 research shows that Mac shipments
      grew 28 percent over the year before, giving it an 6.1 percent
      market share. (It was 3-point-something only a couple of years ago.)

      According to Net Applications, use of the Mac's Web browser,
      Safari, climbed 32 percent in 2007.

      Apple sold 2.16 million Macs in the last quarter–a new company
      record.

      And anecdotally—well, you probably know somebody who's
      switched to the Mac recently.

      What is going on?

      An iPod "halo effect?" I doubt it. The iPod's been around since
      2001, and you didn't see this massive Macintosh surge until
      recently.

      People switching because they're fed up with viruses and
      spyware on Windows? Equally unlikely. That effect, too, would
      have been visible years ago.

      The best theory I've heard is: "Windows Vista." When people
      found out they'd have to buy a new computer and learn a new
      interface, a certain slice of them just said, "Well, if I have to buy
      a new machine and learn a new interface, I may as well get the
      cool-looking, virus-free one."

      But could that effect explain this gigantic 35 percent leap in just
      12 months? It's still an expensive proposition to switch platforms
      once you've got an investment in software and peripherals.

      Anyone else got a better theory? (No religious flaming, please.
      Let's keep the discussion on an intellectual plane.)
    • Chad Smith
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 23, 2009
        Yes, Word 5.1 can be run under SheepShaver.

        - Chad Smith
        http://www.chadwsmith.com/