Re: [wpmac] On a related subject

  • Bob Stern
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
      >J.J. McVeigh wrote:
      >
      >Grouply. I've heard bad things about it. ...

      Yes, that's the one!
      --

      Bob Stern
    • Cheryl Collins
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
        Please excuse my ignorance, but what do "known email address harversters"
        do? Sell them, or abuse them?

        I've received that Grouply invite also.
        cheryl

        On 2/6/09 4:43 AM, "John Rehwinkel" <jrehwin@...> wrote:

        >> On a related subject, I occasionally receive a type of spam from this
        >> list that I've never received from any other Yahoo list: People
        >> claiming to be members of this list, but who never actually posted
        >> here, wanting me to "friend" them on a Facebook-like social website
        >> whose name I can't remember.
        >
        > Sounds like Grouply. A known email address harvester. Avoid.
        >
        > ­ the other John R.

      • Katherine Noftz Nagel (Kat)
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
          Bob Stern wrote:

          >I have SpamSieve, but I've been reluctant to mark as spam the
          >occasional spam sent to this list for fear that legitimate
          >WordPerfect list postings would be marked as spam. Anyone have
          >experience with whether SpamSieve can distinguish the two types of
          >list postings if I start to flag them as spam?

          I've been using SpamSieve for several years. It's the best of the bunch, in my experience, in terms of the low incidence of false positives (mail marked as spam that shouldn't be). If you're concerned, just go back into training mode for a while: mark the real spam messages, then screen your spam folder for any real list messages that might have gotten caught. I sort by subject, then scroll down to [wpmac] to check for mistakes. After a few corrections, SpamSieve has been dead accurate in separating real messages from junk.

          >On a related subject, I occasionally receive a type of spam from this
          >list that I've never received from any other Yahoo list: People
          >claiming to be members of this list, but who never actually posted
          >here, wanting me to "friend" them on a Facebook-like social website
          >whose name I can't remember.

          There isn't much a listowner can do about this, if the person is actually registered as a member of the group. The problem is that all of these sites --- legitimate ones like Facebook, MySpace, and LinkedIn, as well as the not-so-legitimate ones like Plaxo and Grouply --- have their defaults set so that unsuspecting new subscribers give them accesss to their address books. This generates those annoying "Hi, join XXX like I did" messages.

          It's pretty easy, though, to set up filters or rules in your own email software. The message for each source is distinctive enough that you can copy/paste it into the filter dialog. From then on, each future message of that sort will immediately get booted into the bit bucket.

          Hope this helps,
          K@

          Katherine Noftz Nagel
          Owner, MasterWork Consulting
          Co-Owner, Communication Central
          katnagel@...
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009

            > I have SpamSieve, but I've been reluctant to mark as spam the
            > occasional spam sent to this list for fear that legitimate
            > WordPerfect list postings would be marked as spam. ...

            The one piece of spam I can recall ever getting to this list is the
            one of a couple of days ago that I simply missed. What other spam
            have you seen (i.e. on the list, from Yahoo Groups, not from
            Grouply or another third party)? Come to think of it, I wonder how
            Grouply could get your email address. It gets mine since it's on
            the home page.

            > John R.: I assume you're the Yahoo Groups list administrator. Is
            > there some additional Yahoo Groups security option that you can
            > select that will reduce the spam?

            I will do as much as I can, including (since the list inception) reviewing
            every message not sent by a member of a whitelist of known contributors.

            John R.
          • Bob Stern
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
              >John Rethorst wrote:
              >
              >What other spam have you seen (i.e. on the list, from Yahoo Groups,
              >not from Grouply or another third party)?

              I can't remember. It doesn't happen very often, and I delete it
              immediately. Next time it happens, I'll save it. I can mention it
              on the list so others can confirm whether they are receiving it too,
              but perhaps you don't want to clutter the list with this. (I
              apologize that I cluttered it so much already with this topic!)

              >Come to think of it, I wonder how Grouply could get your email
              >address. It gets mine since it's on the home page.

              Good question, but I have received the Grouply spam three times at
              about one month intervals. I belong to several Google groups, but
              this list is the only one that has resulted in spam from Grouply.
              That's why I wondered whether the security settings were different
              for this list.
              --

              Bob Stern
            • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                I've received it as well and I am one of the administrators of the
                Intuit Yahoo group.

                so far I have not seen it on the Intuit group yet. I've knocked a few
                off as either off topic or spam. I I see it come up I gain I will
                report it as spam.

                Cheryl Collins wrote:

                > Please excuse my ignorance, but what do "known email address harversters"
                > do? Sell them, or abuse them?
                >
                > I've received that Grouply invite also.
                > cheryl
                >
                > On 2/6/09 4:43 AM, "John Rehwinkel" <jrehwin@...
                > <mailto:jrehwin%40mac.com>> wrote:
                >
                > >> On a related subject, I occasionally receive a type of spam from this
                > >> list that I've never received from any other Yahoo list: People
                > >> claiming to be members of this list, but who never actually posted
                > >> here, wanting me to "friend" them on a Facebook-like social website
                > >> whose name I can't remember.
                > >
                > > Sounds like Grouply. A known email address harvester. Avoid.
                > >
                > > � the other John R.

                Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling

                If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                mailto:pjones@...

                <http:www.phillipmjones.net>
                <http://www.vpea.org>
              • Rick Albright
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                  I agree that SpamSieve is a terrific product, and very well
                  supported. I've been using it for about 2 years now; I've probably
                  gotten about a dozen updates to it without paying any additional
                  fees. It does a far better job than any other spam filter I've tried,
                  and is very reasonably priced, especially given the outstanding support.

                  Rick Albright
                  On Feb 6, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Katherine Noftz Nagel (Kat) wrote:
                  > BI've been using SpamSieve for several years. It's the best of the
                  > bunch, in my experience, in terms of the low incidence of false
                  > positives (mail marked as spam that shouldn't be). If you're
                  > concerned, just go back into training mode for a while: mark the
                  > real spam messages, then screen your spam folder for any real list
                  > messages that might have gotten caught. I sort by subject, then
                  > scroll down to [wpmac] to check for mistakes. After a few
                  > corrections, SpamSieve has been dead accurate in separating real
                  > messages from junk.

                • Bill Bossart
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                    I second, third all the favorable comments.
                    Bill Bossart
                    whbossart@...