Re: SpamSieve vs. legitimate WordPerfect posts?

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
      This one that just showed up is the only spam I've seen on the list.
      There's quite a bit of spam sent to the list, all of which I delete. I
      don't know how this one got through, but I'll look further. Has
      anyone received more than this one spam message from this
      group?

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

        > Bob Stern wrote:
        >
        > >On a related subject, I occasionally receive a type of spam from this
        > >list that I've never received from any other Yahoo list: People
        > >claiming to be members of this list, but who never actually posted
        > >here, wanting me to "friend" them on a Facebook-like social website
        > >whose name I can't remember.
        >
        > Grouply. I've heard bad things about it. You have to hand over your
        > Yahoo ID and your password. No thanks.

        I've heard the same bad things about it. Note that the Grouply invite
        is not from this list, but from someone who belongs to Grouply who
        would like to get your messages through that site. I don't see a way
        to stop that.

        John R.
      • Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
          >J.J. McVeigh wrote:
          >
          >Grouply. I've heard bad things about it. ...

          Yes, that's the one!
          --

          Bob Stern
        • Cheryl Collins
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
            Please excuse my ignorance, but what do "known email address harversters"
            do? Sell them, or abuse them?

            I've received that Grouply invite also.
            cheryl

            On 2/6/09 4:43 AM, "John Rehwinkel" <jrehwin@...> wrote:

            >> On a related subject, I occasionally receive a type of spam from this
            >> list that I've never received from any other Yahoo list: People
            >> claiming to be members of this list, but who never actually posted
            >> here, wanting me to "friend" them on a Facebook-like social website
            >> whose name I can't remember.
            >
            > Sounds like Grouply. A known email address harvester. Avoid.
            >
            > ­ the other John R.

          • Katherine Noftz Nagel (Kat)
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
              Bob Stern wrote:

              >I have SpamSieve, but I've been reluctant to mark as spam the
              >occasional spam sent to this list for fear that legitimate
              >WordPerfect list postings would be marked as spam. Anyone have
              >experience with whether SpamSieve can distinguish the two types of
              >list postings if I start to flag them as spam?

              I've been using SpamSieve for several years. It's the best of the bunch, in my experience, in terms of the low incidence of false positives (mail marked as spam that shouldn't be). If you're concerned, just go back into training mode for a while: mark the real spam messages, then screen your spam folder for any real list messages that might have gotten caught. I sort by subject, then scroll down to [wpmac] to check for mistakes. After a few corrections, SpamSieve has been dead accurate in separating real messages from junk.

              >On a related subject, I occasionally receive a type of spam from this
              >list that I've never received from any other Yahoo list: People
              >claiming to be members of this list, but who never actually posted
              >here, wanting me to "friend" them on a Facebook-like social website
              >whose name I can't remember.

              There isn't much a listowner can do about this, if the person is actually registered as a member of the group. The problem is that all of these sites --- legitimate ones like Facebook, MySpace, and LinkedIn, as well as the not-so-legitimate ones like Plaxo and Grouply --- have their defaults set so that unsuspecting new subscribers give them accesss to their address books. This generates those annoying "Hi, join XXX like I did" messages.

              It's pretty easy, though, to set up filters or rules in your own email software. The message for each source is distinctive enough that you can copy/paste it into the filter dialog. From then on, each future message of that sort will immediately get booted into the bit bucket.

              Hope this helps,
              K@

              Katherine Noftz Nagel
              Owner, MasterWork Consulting
              Co-Owner, Communication Central
              katnagel@...
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009

                > I have SpamSieve, but I've been reluctant to mark as spam the
                > occasional spam sent to this list for fear that legitimate
                > WordPerfect list postings would be marked as spam. ...

                The one piece of spam I can recall ever getting to this list is the
                one of a couple of days ago that I simply missed. What other spam
                have you seen (i.e. on the list, from Yahoo Groups, not from
                Grouply or another third party)? Come to think of it, I wonder how
                Grouply could get your email address. It gets mine since it's on
                the home page.

                > John R.: I assume you're the Yahoo Groups list administrator. Is
                > there some additional Yahoo Groups security option that you can
                > select that will reduce the spam?

                I will do as much as I can, including (since the list inception) reviewing
                every message not sent by a member of a whitelist of known contributors.

                John R.
              • Bob Stern
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
                  >John Rethorst wrote:
                  >
                  >What other spam have you seen (i.e. on the list, from Yahoo Groups,
                  >not from Grouply or another third party)?

                  I can't remember. It doesn't happen very often, and I delete it
                  immediately. Next time it happens, I'll save it. I can mention it
                  on the list so others can confirm whether they are receiving it too,
                  but perhaps you don't want to clutter the list with this. (I
                  apologize that I cluttered it so much already with this topic!)

                  >Come to think of it, I wonder how Grouply could get your email
                  >address. It gets mine since it's on the home page.

                  Good question, but I have received the Grouply spam three times at
                  about one month intervals. I belong to several Google groups, but
                  this list is the only one that has resulted in spam from Grouply.
                  That's why I wondered whether the security settings were different
                  for this list.
                  --

                  Bob Stern
                • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                    I've received it as well and I am one of the administrators of the
                    Intuit Yahoo group.

                    so far I have not seen it on the Intuit group yet. I've knocked a few
                    off as either off topic or spam. I I see it come up I gain I will
                    report it as spam.

                    Cheryl Collins wrote:

                    > Please excuse my ignorance, but what do "known email address harversters"
                    > do? Sell them, or abuse them?
                    >
                    > I've received that Grouply invite also.
                    > cheryl
                    >
                    > On 2/6/09 4:43 AM, "John Rehwinkel" <jrehwin@...
                    > <mailto:jrehwin%40mac.com>> wrote:
                    >
                    > >> On a related subject, I occasionally receive a type of spam from this
                    > >> list that I've never received from any other Yahoo list: People
                    > >> claiming to be members of this list, but who never actually posted
                    > >> here, wanting me to "friend" them on a Facebook-like social website
                    > >> whose name I can't remember.
                    > >
                    > > Sounds like Grouply. A known email address harvester. Avoid.
                    > >
                    > > � the other John R.

                    Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling

                    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                    mailto:pjones@...

                    <http:www.phillipmjones.net>
                    <http://www.vpea.org>
                  • Rick Albright
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                      I agree that SpamSieve is a terrific product, and very well
                      supported. I've been using it for about 2 years now; I've probably
                      gotten about a dozen updates to it without paying any additional
                      fees. It does a far better job than any other spam filter I've tried,
                      and is very reasonably priced, especially given the outstanding support.

                      Rick Albright
                      On Feb 6, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Katherine Noftz Nagel (Kat) wrote:
                      > BI've been using SpamSieve for several years. It's the best of the
                      > bunch, in my experience, in terms of the low incidence of false
                      > positives (mail marked as spam that shouldn't be). If you're
                      > concerned, just go back into training mode for a while: mark the
                      > real spam messages, then screen your spam folder for any real list
                      > messages that might have gotten caught. I sort by subject, then
                      > scroll down to [wpmac] to check for mistakes. After a few
                      > corrections, SpamSieve has been dead accurate in separating real
                      > messages from junk.

                    • Bill Bossart
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                        I second, third all the favorable comments.
                        Bill Bossart
                        whbossart@...