[wpmac] Re: Help! with conversions

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

      > On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
      > > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
      > > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
      > > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
      > > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
      > > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
      > > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
      > > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
      > > to answer the question here:
      > >
      > You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
      > That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
      > list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
      > It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
      > involved.
      >
      > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
      > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
      > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
      > emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
      > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
      > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
      > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
      > software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
      > meantime, don't forget us.

      I guess some of us are hoping that the person who asked the
      original question would tell us (1) what kind of Mac is
      involved and (2) whether the "Micro Perfect" files referred
      to in the question were created in WordPerfect for the Mac
      or WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS, or whether
      "Micro Perfect" was supposed to mean something else entirely.
    • David Patterson
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
        "I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
        become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
        almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
        emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
        something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
        numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
        longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
        software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
        meantime, don't forget us.

        Rick Albright"

        I'll go for that. I use WP on my old G3 to create documents. I also use
        Show Codes to clean up formatting in other documents.
        If I must transmit the results to others, I just paste the contents into
        a Word document and send it to those poor souls who are crippled by
        using a PC.
        If the discussion in this news letter is about Sheepshaver I delete it.
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

          > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
          > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
          > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
          > emulators.

          The list may be focusing on SS and BL for the moment probably
          because these are relatively less-known machine configurations and
          need more attention at this point and, at the same time, support
          the newer OS and hardware that offer other advantages. At some
          point, I think soon, we will all be comfortable with emulators, and
          pay more attention to more general topics.

          > I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
          > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
          > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
          > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
          > software that is quite venerable by software standards).

          We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, and plan to
          continue using the best word processing program ever written.
          BTW, it's faster and more stable than at any point in its history.

          > In the meantime, don't forget us.

          No worries!

          John R.
        • John Kaufmann
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
            In a message dated 2009.02.06 01:25 -0500, John Rethorst wrote:

            > We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, ...

            ;-)¬°Good! I'd miss your posts... and invaluable contribution to the WP world.

            > and plan to continue using the best word processing program ever written.

            Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
            --
            John
          • David Patterson
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
              >>Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
              --
              John<<

              That's where I started, WP5.1 in college. I fell in love with using the
              keyboard shortcuts, not having to move my hands from the keyboard.
              Of course this was under DOS, but once I moved to a GUI it was a real
              time saver.
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                Some of us still use those shortcuts in WPMac - Shift-F7 to print, anyone?

                Geoff