Re: [wpmac] Re: Help! with conversions

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
      On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
      > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
      > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
      > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
      > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
      > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
      > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
      > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
      > to answer the question here:

      You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
      That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
      list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
      It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
      involved.

      I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
      become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
      almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
      emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
      something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
      numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
      longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
      software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
      meantime, don't forget us.

      Rick Albright
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

        > On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
        > > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
        > > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
        > > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
        > > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
        > > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
        > > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
        > > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
        > > to answer the question here:
        > >
        > You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
        > That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
        > list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
        > It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
        > involved.
        >
        > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
        > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
        > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
        > emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
        > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
        > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
        > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
        > software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
        > meantime, don't forget us.

        I guess some of us are hoping that the person who asked the
        original question would tell us (1) what kind of Mac is
        involved and (2) whether the "Micro Perfect" files referred
        to in the question were created in WordPerfect for the Mac
        or WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS, or whether
        "Micro Perfect" was supposed to mean something else entirely.
      • David Patterson
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
          "I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
          become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
          almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
          emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
          something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
          numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
          longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
          software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
          meantime, don't forget us.

          Rick Albright"

          I'll go for that. I use WP on my old G3 to create documents. I also use
          Show Codes to clean up formatting in other documents.
          If I must transmit the results to others, I just paste the contents into
          a Word document and send it to those poor souls who are crippled by
          using a PC.
          If the discussion in this news letter is about Sheepshaver I delete it.
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

            > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
            > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
            > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
            > emulators.

            The list may be focusing on SS and BL for the moment probably
            because these are relatively less-known machine configurations and
            need more attention at this point and, at the same time, support
            the newer OS and hardware that offer other advantages. At some
            point, I think soon, we will all be comfortable with emulators, and
            pay more attention to more general topics.

            > I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
            > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
            > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
            > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
            > software that is quite venerable by software standards).

            We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, and plan to
            continue using the best word processing program ever written.
            BTW, it's faster and more stable than at any point in its history.

            > In the meantime, don't forget us.

            No worries!

            John R.
          • John Kaufmann
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
              In a message dated 2009.02.06 01:25 -0500, John Rethorst wrote:

              > We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, ...

              ;-)¬°Good! I'd miss your posts... and invaluable contribution to the WP world.

              > and plan to continue using the best word processing program ever written.

              Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
              --
              John
            • David Patterson
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                >>Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
                --
                John<<

                That's where I started, WP5.1 in college. I fell in love with using the
                keyboard shortcuts, not having to move my hands from the keyboard.
                Of course this was under DOS, but once I moved to a GUI it was a real
                time saver.
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                  Some of us still use those shortcuts in WPMac - Shift-F7 to print, anyone?

                  Geoff