Re: [wpmac] Help! with conversions

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
      On Tue Feb 3, 2009 6:17 am ((PST)), "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...> wrote:

      >I think it's possible that the original question may
      >have meant something more like this: "I have files
      >that I created in WordPerfect for Windows (or DOS)
      >and I want to use them on a Mac. What is the simplest
      >way to do that?"

      [...]
      >WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
      >to answer the question here:
      >
      >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html#wordformac

      Note that OpenOffice.org is not officially available (nor, to my
      understanding, supported) on PPC Macs; there are community builds
      that you can find if you know where to look, but the download system
      won't provide you with a download if you visit
      download.openoffice.org with a PPC Mac (I just checked). Anyone with
      a PPC Mac would either need to hunt around for the community builds,
      or use NeoOffice instead, which officially supports both PPC and
      Intel: http://www.neooffice.org/

      (Disclaimer: I have been, for a long time, a member of the
      community-staffed NeoOffice support team.)

      Smokey
    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
        On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
        > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
        > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
        > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
        > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
        > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
        > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
        > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
        > to answer the question here:

        You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
        That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
        list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
        It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
        involved.

        I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
        become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
        almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
        emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
        something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
        numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
        longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
        software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
        meantime, don't forget us.

        Rick Albright
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

          > On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
          > > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
          > > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
          > > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
          > > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
          > > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
          > > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
          > > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
          > > to answer the question here:
          > >
          > You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
          > That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
          > list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
          > It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
          > involved.
          >
          > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
          > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
          > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
          > emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
          > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
          > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
          > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
          > software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
          > meantime, don't forget us.

          I guess some of us are hoping that the person who asked the
          original question would tell us (1) what kind of Mac is
          involved and (2) whether the "Micro Perfect" files referred
          to in the question were created in WordPerfect for the Mac
          or WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS, or whether
          "Micro Perfect" was supposed to mean something else entirely.
        • David Patterson
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
            "I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
            become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
            almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
            emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
            something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
            numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
            longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
            software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
            meantime, don't forget us.

            Rick Albright"

            I'll go for that. I use WP on my old G3 to create documents. I also use
            Show Codes to clean up formatting in other documents.
            If I must transmit the results to others, I just paste the contents into
            a Word document and send it to those poor souls who are crippled by
            using a PC.
            If the discussion in this news letter is about Sheepshaver I delete it.
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

              > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
              > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
              > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
              > emulators.

              The list may be focusing on SS and BL for the moment probably
              because these are relatively less-known machine configurations and
              need more attention at this point and, at the same time, support
              the newer OS and hardware that offer other advantages. At some
              point, I think soon, we will all be comfortable with emulators, and
              pay more attention to more general topics.

              > I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
              > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
              > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
              > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
              > software that is quite venerable by software standards).

              We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, and plan to
              continue using the best word processing program ever written.
              BTW, it's faster and more stable than at any point in its history.

              > In the meantime, don't forget us.

              No worries!

              John R.
            • John Kaufmann
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                In a message dated 2009.02.06 01:25 -0500, John Rethorst wrote:

                > We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, ...

                ;-)¬°Good! I'd miss your posts... and invaluable contribution to the WP world.

                > and plan to continue using the best word processing program ever written.

                Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
                --
                John
              • David Patterson
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                  >>Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
                  --
                  John<<

                  That's where I started, WP5.1 in college. I fell in love with using the
                  keyboard shortcuts, not having to move my hands from the keyboard.
                  Of course this was under DOS, but once I moved to a GUI it was a real
                  time saver.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                    Some of us still use those shortcuts in WPMac - Shift-F7 to print, anyone?

                    Geoff